• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more
We really haven't any good evidence of treason, for goodness' sake!

Actually, we have some very good evidence. At least 6 (or is that 7 now) members of the regime have been exposed as having Russian contacts.

Let's wait and see what comes up. The intelligence services seem to be doing their jobs.

How long should they wait to do their ultimate job? Esp when Congress is deliberately NOT doing their job?

I get what you are saying. They need to have their ducks all lined up to be able to justify their action when they do act. But the longer they delay, the more information/evidence/sources may find themselves taken out of the picture. So far it may have cost at least 7 people their lives or careers.
 
This wouldn't be a problem in properly run organization. He'd assign one of his deputies to do the job, with instructions not to communicate anything about the case until it is ultimately settled. He'd also make sure that everyone working for that deputy understood the same thing, that the Deputy was the ultimate person in charge for this case.

Then, the really hard part, he'd actually have to keep his hands off it and let the Deputy and the staff do their jobs, without interference.

But that's how a properly run organization would do it, and as we all know, this administration is instead a "well-oiled machine", so they're pretty much screwed.

A great many articles about how Trump bizarre method of administration is not only unworkable for government, but would be equally unworkable in most large publically owened companies,where the CEO is responsible to a Board of Director directly and indirectly the stockholders. Trump has never been accountable to anybody in his life since his father died.
 
"Fine tuned". I only correct you because what Trump actually said is grating, whereas what you said was grammatically correct. "Well" is an adverb. "Fine" is not an adverb.
Fine is an adjective ("I hope you have a fine day!"), noun ("You can start right after you pay the fine."), verb ("What, you don't remember being fined?"), and, yes, adverb ("Once you've accepted the need to fine tune your grammar, you'll be fine.").
 
Actually, we have some very good evidence. At least 6 (or is that 7 now) members of the regime have been exposed as having Russian contacts.

Having Russian contacts is not such good evidence of treason. You do know, I suppose, that we are not at war with Russia?

Let me be explicit: the degree of involvement between Trump's camp and Russia during a campaign in which Russia attempted to influence the outcome using devious methods is very, very troubling. But some of these contacts were bugged by the intelligence services and there does not yet appear to be a smoking gun regarding collusion. Maybe it will come out, but it hasn't yet.

So, no, the fact that Trump's guys had contact with Russia is not good evidence of treason. Totally worth looking into, but not evidence of treason.

How long should they wait to do their ultimate job? Esp when Congress is deliberately NOT doing their job?

I get what you are saying. They need to have their ducks all lined up to be able to justify their action when they do act. But the longer they delay, the more information/evidence/sources may find themselves taken out of the picture. So far it may have cost at least 7 people their lives or careers.

Explain that last line. Who has lost their lives while pursuing the Trump/Russia connection? Who, aside from political appointees, have lost their jobs? I'm not trying to be unfriendly here, but I've honestly no idea who you mean. Thanks.
 
I'm not buying this charge of lying under oath.

First of all, Sessions knows his meeting(s) are a matter of public record - a lie doesn't work to conceal that. Second, he doesn't stop being a Senator because he's "helping Trump with his campaign." Third, meeting the Russian ambassador isn't at all suspicious - dirty dealings are hardly going to take place in an open meeting, when covert is so readily available.

This is a constructed scandal with no "there" there. The charge of lying under oath is being used as the camel's nose to wedge party politics into the tent.

I think Trump pushes back on this one and Sessions doesn't get fired or quit.

ETA: We are skeptics. Quit with the mud throwing and give us some proof.
 
Fine is an adjective ("I hope you have a fine day!"), noun ("You can start right after you pay the fine."), verb ("What, you don't remember being fined?"), and, yes, adverb ("Once you've accepted the need to fine tune your grammar, you'll be fine.").

I'll grant you that fine is an adverb, since that's what the dictionary says. But it is misused in the phrase "fine tuned". The proper phrase is "finely tuned".

The dictionary I checked does not support "fine tuned".

But, aside from the actual usage in question, you're quite right. "Fine" can be used as an adverb in some ways.
 

Damn. That dictionary explicitly says that "fine" is a synonym for "finely".

You know what? **** Merriam and **** Webster too. Ain't right. Ain't no one gonna tell me it's right. **** 'em.

ETA: Other than my little tirade, thanks for your correction. But dictionaries are merely descriptive, not normative, and so this dictionary is reporting how folks abuse language. So, and I repeat myself, **** 'em.
 
Last edited:
I'm not buying this charge of lying under oath.

First of all, Sessions knows his meeting(s) are a matter of public record - a lie doesn't work to conceal that. Second, he doesn't stop being a Senator because he's "helping Trump with his campaign." Third, meeting the Russian ambassador isn't at all suspicious - dirty dealings are hardly going to take place in an open meeting, when covert is so readily available.

This is a constructed scandal with no "there" there. The charge of lying under oath is being used as the camel's nose to wedge party politics into the tent.

I think Trump pushes back on this one and Sessions doesn't get fired or quit.

ETA: We are skeptics. Quit with the mud throwing and give us some proof.

Whatever our opinion, appearances are more important than logic in politics. Better men have been toppled by less. However, I agree, Trump will fight this and unless something else is found, Sessions stays.
 
I'm not buying this charge of lying under oath.

First of all, Sessions knows his meeting(s) are a matter of public record - a lie doesn't work to conceal that. Second, he doesn't stop being a Senator because he's "helping Trump with his campaign." Third, meeting the Russian ambassador isn't at all suspicious - dirty dealings are hardly going to take place in an open meeting, when covert is so readily available.

This is a constructed scandal with no "there" there. The charge of lying under oath is being used as the camel's nose to wedge party politics into the tent.

I think Trump pushes back on this one and Sessions doesn't get fired or quit.

ETA: We are skeptics. Quit with the mud throwing and give us some proof.



Question is not so much legality, but how much of a poltical burden Sesssions could become. His has gotten a lot of backlash..including quite a bit from Republicans....over his obsession with Pot and wanting to give a high priority to cracking down on The Devil's Weed,and now this.
 
Question is not so much legality, but how much of a poltical burden Sesssions could become. His has gotten a lot of backlash..including quite a bit from Republicans....over his obsession with Pot and wanting to give a high priority to cracking down on The Devil's Weed,and now this.
I'm sure that Russians, especially older ones, would have a lot of insight to offer regarding the waging of war against individual states of a union.
 
It's been in extremely common use for a very long time. It's a failing of the dictionary, not the user.

As another poster has cited, other dictionaries include this use. I find it grating, but maybe that's just me.

I am fine. The engine is finely tuned.

That's what I expect to hear and it jars me when I hear something else. But I might be a wee bit peevish. Apparently no one else shares my expectations here.

Which doesn't mean much. Everyone else is wrong.
 
I'm not buying this charge of lying under oath.

First of all, Sessions knows his meeting(s) are a matter of public record - a lie doesn't work to conceal that.

Irrelevant. He still lied.

Second, he doesn't stop being a Senator because he's "helping Trump with his campaign."
True and also irrelevant. He still lied. And he literally called himself a Trump surrogate when he specifically started he had NO COMMUNICATION with Russia.

Third, meeting the Russian ambassador isn't at all suspicious - dirty dealings are hardly going to take place in an open meeting, when covert is so readily available.

Again irrelevant. You don't seem to want to understand the issue since you first posted in this thread after it had already been explained and then again after it was specifically explained to you by multiple people.

This is a constructed scandal with no "there" there. The charge of lying under oath is being used as the camel's nose to wedge party politics into the tent.

I think Trump pushes back on this one and Sessions doesn't get fired or quit.

ETA: We are skeptics. Quit with the mud throwing and give us some proof.

Seems to me you have no idea what you're talking about.
 
As another poster has cited, other dictionaries include this use. I find it grating, but maybe that's just me.

I am fine. The engine is finely tuned.

That's what I expect to hear and it jars me when I hear something else. But I might be a wee bit peevish. Apparently no one else shares my expectations here.

Which doesn't mean much. Everyone else is wrong.
Okay, I was wrong. It is the fault of the user.
 
I'm having a hard time with this whole, "meeting with the Russians" thing. Ambassadors meet with principals in other governments. It's kind of their job.

NPR report this morning mentioned that Sessions met with ambassadors from several other countries, but only after he became recognized as a surrogate for Trump. Apparently meetings with ambassadors are rare for regular senate committee members. Its kind of not their job.
 
Last edited:
Question is not so much legality, but how much of a poltical burden Sesssions could become. His has gotten a lot of backlash..including quite a bit from Republicans....over his obsession with Pot and wanting to give a high priority to cracking down on The Devil's Weed,and now this.

Yeah the war on drugs has been going spectacularily well up to now...
 
You don't appear to understand how recusal in this case would work. Sessions would be barred from hearing anything about the ongoing investigation. He'd be blocked from hearing whatever evidence was being discussed.
Right ... and who would hold him accountable? Al Franken? Good luck with that.

As for Franken rambling, that's BS.
Maybe rambling isn't the right word, but the question was so broadly stated that he gave Sessions an excuse to say something like, "I would look at the facts surrounding the contact and proceed from there." As I said, I saw only a brief snippet and I thought Sessions' answer was more to the point (if blatantly untrue) than Franken's question.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom