• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Corbyn's days (very) numbered?

There is a difference, though.
There was no general infrastructure changes, or changes in habit, required by the move to LEDs. The bulbs worked with current fittings.

But to be fair, it is probable that it has increased energy consumption rather than decreased, owing to Jevons paradox, both due to more lights being bought, and the cash savings being pumped into the economy as a whole due to the energy savings.

Whereas electric cars could in theory decrease carbon emissions assuming we went from IC engines to plug-in cars that drew from a low carbon grid.

Bulbs are easier to implement though, as you say.

I'm not sure electric care would actually be an energy efficiency measure.
 
Last edited:
Not that I want to, but it's pretty difficult to buy incandescent bulbs now, certainly I don't see the higher wattage ones - 100W or 150W.

The LED bulbs I've bought so far haven't lasted anywhere near the stated lifetime before they've failed. I think the actual LED part still works okay but the little power supply units inside overheat and the electrolytic capacitors dry out and fail. Maybe there are some better quality ones out there that either run cooler or have PSUs that can withstand the heat.
 
Not that I want to, but it's pretty difficult to buy incandescent bulbs now, certainly I don't see the higher wattage ones - 100W or 150W.

The LED bulbs I've bought so far haven't lasted anywhere near the stated lifetime before they've failed. I think the actual LED part still works okay but the little power supply units inside overheat and the electrolytic capacitors dry out and fail. Maybe there are some better quality ones out there that either run cooler or have PSUs that can withstand the heat.

That's a shame.

So far after 5 years I've had no LED bulbs fail - doubtless having said that I'll be plunged into darkness :o :p

Halogen bulbs on the other hand seemed to blow as quickly as could replace the damn things. :mad:

edited to add.....

Actually I tell a lie. One bulb failed but I got a replacement bulb and a full refund from the retailer so I'm actually up on that deal :)
 
Last edited:
The public needs to see the carrot rather than the stick.

I completely disagree here.

What bigger carrot could there be than "The entire human species is under immediate (geologically-speaking) existential threat"?

The carrot failed, stick is what's needed.

What won the Cold War, the carrot or the stick? Apartheid in SA?


Who said anything about alphas ?

You said Corbyn was a bit mild - interestingly and aptly Jesus like is how I see him.

Other than the Alphas ruling the joint, what else is there?

(If you think being thick-skinned is an Alpha trait, you are distinctly wrong)
 
I completely disagree here.

What bigger carrot could there be than "The entire human species is under immediate (geologically-speaking) existential threat"?

The carrot failed, stick is what's needed.

What won the Cold War, the carrot or the stick? Apartheid in SA?

Carrot....

You said Corbyn was a bit mild - interestingly and aptly Jesus like is how I see him.

:D

Actually I think I used the word damp, wet or moist.

Unless you consider Ghandi or Mandela "alphas", I think they are excellent examples of people who are inspiring and motivating without being aggressive (though neither is without their flaws).

Other than the Alphas ruling the joint, what else is there?

(If you think being thick-skinned is an Alpha trait, you are distinctly wrong)

All the alphas I've met (and working in consulting in the finance industry I've met a few) have been supremely self-confident. Criticisms bounce off them because they *know* that any such criticism is simply wrong. Trump tries to act "alpha" but his willingness to rise to the bait indicates an underlying insecurity that simply doesn't exist in the alphas I've met.
 
Trump tries to act "alpha" but his willingness to rise to the bait indicates an underlying insecurity that simply doesn't exist in the alphas I've met.
Then he's been wrongly assigned! Perhaps he should be demoted and given a job, as in Brave New World, as lift attendant in one of his skyscrapers where we might
catch a glimpse of the elevator man, an "Epsilon-Minus-Semi-Moron" whose only happiness in life is the moment when the elevator gets to the roof, so that he can go, "Ah! The roof!"​
 
A fleet of EVs would actually be a very large storage capacity and I wonder if some clever way could be found to use them as such?

I'm envisioning some utility owned charging stations where you would get maybe free parking or reduced cost of energy or whatever for leaving your EV plugged into the grid

That has been proposed (and used?) for smart meters and plug in hybrids. Only charge when the demand is low... supply the house from the car when demand is high.
 
Ooh.
A by-election.
And in Labour's heartland.

This could be interesting.

The latest edition of Private Eye reports that the Parliamentary Labour Party has split into three factions, the Corbynites, Remainder Labour under Tom Watson and Progress (aka Blairite Scum ;)).

While this would be fun for gits and shiggles, apparently the latest version of "The Snoopers' Charter" has slipped through the Lords insufficiently opposed.

The lack of a unified Labour Party is starting to have an impact on civil liberties :mad:
 
The latest edition of Private Eye reports that the Parliamentary Labour Party has split into three factions, the Corbynites, Remainder Labour under Tom Watson and Progress (aka Blairite Scum ;)).

While this would be fun for gits and shiggles, apparently the latest version of "The Snoopers' Charter" has slipped through the Lords insufficiently opposed.

The lack of a unified Labour Party is starting to have an impact on civil liberties :mad:

Ah yes, but the ECJ has said it's unlawful haven't they?
Damn that meddling EU and all...

I was going to pick up the latest Eye, but didn't fancy depressing myself just before Christmas.
:)
 
It seems far too abstract. It's a movie plot outline, not something that happens in real life.

Yep, and isn't it a shame?

We name every species on the planet, reserving "wise one" for ourselves, yet as a species we're too stupid to be able to see that ******** all over our own nest is a bad plan.

Homo ignoramus would be closer to the mark.

That's why it's important to use a stick as well as a carrot.
 
Once again Corbyn is demonstrating his exceptional leadership skills :rolleyes:

Jeremy Corbyn is to say Labour is not "wedded" to freedom of movement for EU citizens in the UK as a "matter of principle", as he sets out his views on Brexit negotiations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38561501

In an attempt to woo the 1/3 of Labour voters who voted Leave, he risks losing the support of the 2/3 of Labour voters who voted remain. By taking a stance against free movement he also risks alienating the young who overwhelmingly chose Remain. IMO he's risking Labour's future but at least Labour's Brexit position will now match his own (even if it runs contrary to the position of most of its members, supporters and voters). :mad:
 
Corbyn proposing another sure-fire vote winner:

Jeremy Corbyn says he would like to see a maximum cap on the amount people can earn.

The Labour leader said he thought introducing the limit would be "the fairer thing to do"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38568116

As usual, he's worked everything through in detail before floating the idea :rolleyes:

Mr Corbyn said he was "not wedded to a figure" but told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Let's look at it."

As usual for an "Old Trot", the wealthy are those who earn a penny more than he does.

Speaking on Sky News, Mr Corbyn said a wage cap would be "somewhat higher" than his salary of approximately £138,000

Don't get me wrong, the UK is too unequal and that disparity is growing but IMO this is not the way to address it effectively.
 
Corbyn needs leadership qualities, and wide and practical experience, and not suffering from a want of judgment. A clever Minister of Health would come in useful as well, instead of all this no beds and no resources stuff. Come back Neville Chamberlain. A Foreign Minister who can see further than Paris, Rome and Madrid would be helpful as well. It's not much good relying on industrial muscle. The UK now no longer has a manufacturing base in this so-called post industrial economy.
 
rather odd to see so many people against a wage cap, who knew every ukip voter was on over £200k a year?

It's more about what the impact on the UK would be if a wage cap were installed. I'm not sure it would do anything about the increasing inequality between the very richest and the rest of society but cold have a significant impact on certain, highly mobile industries.

IOW it looks more like the politics of envy than something that would do anything practical about inequality.

The issue IMO is that it's quite usual for pretty average executives of pretty average companies doing pretty average jobs to get multi-million pound pay packages which in turn increases pay expectations on down the corporate ladder. Its the shareholders' job to put a brake on boardroom "fatcattery" but there's no appetite for it in part because IMO we have more in common with the US and its get-rich-quickly outlook than say Scandianvia, Germany or Japan where financial rewards are considerable but typically not on the same scale.
 
It's more about what the impact on the UK would be if a wage cap were installed. I'm not sure it would do anything about the increasing inequality between the very richest and the rest of society but cold have a significant impact on certain, highly mobile industries.

IOW it looks more like the politics of envy than something that would do anything practical about inequality.

The issue IMO is that it's quite usual for pretty average executives of pretty average companies doing pretty average jobs to get multi-million pound pay packages which in turn increases pay expectations on down the corporate ladder. Its the shareholders' job to put a brake on boardroom "fatcattery" but there's no appetite for it in part because IMO we have more in common with the US and its get-rich-quickly outlook than say Scandianvia, Germany or Japan where financial rewards are considerable but typically not on the same scale.

Making vague policy pronouncements with no thought whatsoever for how such policies can be sensibly implemented, while pandering to populist feeling on any given topic used to be a bad thing, but has now proven as good a way to winning elections as any other, if not better.
 
Off-topic: On the Guardian's website I noticed in the updates on the latest Corbiasco:

Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland’s deputy first minister, may announce that he is not going to stand for re-election to the Northern Ireland assembly, it has emerged.

Yeah, I expect Sinn Fein has plenty of young guns who want their own shot.
 
It's more about what the impact on the UK would be if a wage cap were installed. I'm not sure it would do anything about the increasing inequality between the very richest and the rest of society but cold have a significant impact on certain, highly mobile industries.

And now he's backed down

Mr Corbyn earlier indicated that he backed a maximum wage limit - an idea one economist claimed was "lunatic".
And in the speech in Peterborough, Mr Corbyn did not mention bringing in an absolute cap, instead saying excessive pay at the top of society was "driving poverty pay" at the bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38568116

and make what you will of his position on Freedom of Movement

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said he stands by his view that immigration to the UK from the EU is not too high.
He told the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg migrants played a valuable role and he was not proposing new restrictions on the rights of people to move to the UK.
Mr Corbyn has faced calls from some in Labour to harden his party's stance on immigration ahead of Brexit talks.
But although he said in a key speech he was "not wedded" to the idea of free movement, he did not say it should end.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom