• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Bob Dylan awarded Nobel prize for Literature

Hemingway won a Nobel Prize shortly after the release of The Old Man and the Sea. it wasn't in recognition of that work but rather his literary influence. No matter what you think of his writing style, he was an important voice.

This is like that.
 
Sample.

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Bob Dylan
Lyrics
Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?
And where have you been my darling young one?
I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways
I've stepped in the middle of seven sad forests
I've been out in front of a dozen dead oceans
I've been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.
Oh, what did you see, my blue eyed son?
And what did you see, my darling young one?
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin'
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin'
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.
And what did you hear, my blue-eyed son?
And what did you hear, my darling young one?
I heard the sound of a thunder that roared out a warnin'
I heard the roar of a wave that could drown the whole world
I heard one hundred drummers whose hands were a-blazin'
I heard ten thousand whisperin' and nobody listenin'
I heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin'
Heard the song of a poet who died in the gutter
Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard
And it's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.
Oh, what did you meet my blue-eyed son ?
Who did you meet, my darling young one?
I met a young child beside a dead pony
I met a white man who walked a black dog
I met a young woman whose body was burning
I met a young girl, she gave me a rainbow
I met one man who was wounded in love
I met another man who was wounded in hatred
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard
And it's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.
And what'll you do now, my blue-eyed son?
And what'll you do now my darling young one?
I'm a-goin' back out 'fore the rain starts a-fallin'
I'll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest
Where the people are a many and their hands are all empty
Where the pellets of poison are flooding their waters
Where the home in the valley meets the damp dirty prison
And the executioner's face is always well hidden
Where hunger is ugly, where souls are forgotten
Where black is the color, where none is the number
And I'll tell and speak it and think it and breathe it
And reflect from the mountain so all souls can see it
And I'll stand on the ocean until I start sinkin'
But I'll know my song well before I start singing
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.
 
Probably the most over rated muso ever. With the possible exception of Neil Young.

He is the musician rich middle aged people put on at parties to try to make them look hip and edgey

Eminem is arguably a better lyricist and I wouldn't give it to him.
 
The funniest thing about Dylan was his total silence of anything to do with the Hurricane when he worked out he was guilty
 
Probably the most over rated muso ever. With the possible exception of Neil Young.

He is the musician rich middle aged people put on at parties to try to make them look hip and edgey

Eminem is arguably a better lyricist and I wouldn't give it to him.

Satire, right? Because you simply can't be serious.
 
Probably the most over rated muso ever. With the possible exception of Neil Young.

He is the musician rich middle aged people put on at parties to try to make them look hip and edgey

Eminem is arguably a better lyricist and I wouldn't give it to him.

Who was your tip for the Nobel Prize for Literature?
 
Satire, right? Because you simply can't be serious.
Um no.

Not this time.

Now you see this one-eyed midget/Shouting the word ‘now’ And you say, ‘For what reason?/And he says, ‘How?’/And you say, ‘What does this mean?’/And he screams back, ‘You’re a cow”

And up there

"Well the woman I love she got a hook in her nose/Her eyebrows meet she wears second hand clothes/She speaks with a stutter and she walks with a hop/I don’t know why I love her but I just can’t stop”
 
..............who hasn't yet won the Literature prize.

He is sure to write a book after his Presideny. In order to encourage him, he should be awarded the Literature prize, as he was awarded the Peace prize before achieving any peace, merely in hopeful anticipation.
 
Who was your tip for the Nobel Prize for Literature?

Seeing that I had not even heard the names of seven of the last ten prize winners before they won it (including even the German lady), and that I had read only one of them before their award (Vargas Llosa), it is rather difficult to guess who the Academy pulls out of the hat:

2006 Orhan Pamuk (Turkey)
2007 Doris Lessing (United Kingdom)
2008 Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio (France)
2009 Herta Müller (Germany)
2010 Mario Vargas Llosa (Peru)
2011 Tomas Tranströmer (Sweden)
2012 Mo Yan (China)
2013 Alice Munro (Canada)
2014 Patrick Modiano (France)
2015 Svetlana Alexievich (Belarus)

However, I am one of those who have waited for Philip Roth to take it eventually. Difficult to say if it becomes more unlikely for him, now that a US American was chosen this year.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom