johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
- Joined
- Jan 12, 2007
- Messages
- 18,821
"They let you do it."
Did I get the quote right? I'm too lazy to look it up again.
"They let you do it" is not synonymous with "I was given consent".
"They let you do it."
Did I get the quote right? I'm too lazy to look it up again.
No. That would not be the same. But what does that have to do with Trump? Are you saying being a rich celebrity is like holding a knife to someone's throat?
I'm trying not to picture a woman like an octopus.
Look, you don't even have to buy the idea that some women would be attracted to Trump because he's a rich celebrity. All you have to accept is that Trump thinks this is true. That's all that's needed to explain the remarks.
"They let you do it" is not synonymous with "I was given consent".
Most normal adults might pass a comment such as "She'll grow up to be a stunner" on a 10 year old but in Trump's world everything is orientated around Trump. In his mind I am sure that he thought he was paying her a compliment, what greater compliment could there be for a 10 year old than to know that when they grow up Trump will consider them attractive enough to "date"?
There ought to be some way for the rich and powerful to tell the difference between consent and coercion, or maybe there isn't?
Look, you don't even have to buy the idea that some women would be attracted to Trump because he's a rich celebrity. All you have to accept is that Trump thinks this is true. That's all that's needed to explain the remarks.
And if the remarks were all we had to determine Trump's behavior, then you'd have a point.
But we also numerous claims of Trump sexually assaulting women. Some describing exactly the kind of behavior to which Trump himself admitted.
I don't know. This appears to me to be a very off-color bit of self-mocking humor. It's less of a big deal than I expected.
You're absolutely right that there's something about Trump that makes him surprisingly incapable to predict how others will react, and that's not a good trait for a politician. But I don't see this little quip as a significant clue that he's a pedophile.
Obviously, there are many, many reasons to think Trump is a horrible candidate. Surely no one should read these comments as supportive of the worst major party candidate in modern times, if not ever.
You're absolutely right that there's something about Trump that makes him surprisingly incapable to predict how others will react, and that's not a good trait for a politician. But I don't see this little quip as a significant clue that he's a pedophile.
Look, you don't even have to buy the idea that some women would be attracted to Trump because he's a rich celebrity. All you have to accept is that Trump thinks this is true. That's all that's needed to explain the remarks.
I don't want to get dragged into defending Trump as a person. There is much damaged about him and much more to detest. I only got into this regarding the "locker room" talk bit.
But since the subject has broadened out, let's say he is guilty of everything he's been accused of in the sexual assault/harassment area. Does this mean he's unqualified to be president? And if so, why?
But since the subject has broadened out, let's say he is guilty of everything he's been accused of in the sexual assault/harassment area. Does this mean he's unqualified to be president? And if so, why?
all it would have taken is a quick "Can I kiss you?" or "Can I touch your breasts?"
Don't you think that's a problem?
This is correct, but only if they are all evidence of the same thing. One shouldn't take evidence of overstepping boundaries as evidence of sexual assault. I can very well imagine someone who is flirtatious, socially awkward and takes advantage of his social status and not deduce a sexual assault.
Is it your contention that rapists brag about their crimes to relative strangers? If that's so, then your point stands. If it isn't, then the lines of evidence do not converge on a single diagnosis.
It's pointless anyhow. We don't charge/convict people on what they say but what they do. The alleged victims are coming forward to establish just that. Trump's locker room talk doesn't help or hurt the factual case against him that touch sexual assault directly. If this weren't so, we'd be bringing young Billy up on charges too.
When I first met my future wife, she was attending a Christian school. They had the 6" rule: people of opposite sex couldn't be closer than 6" to prevent any possibility of physical - and assumed immoral - contact. At the time I thought this a very strict rule, very puritanical. I imagined it to be a fringe belief. But times change and now we are sliding back toward less permissiveness and I expect such a rule would find adherents. "Inappropriate" is now "assault." So be it.
Frankly, I'd be happy to see hugs disappear.
Which rather concedes that Trump did, in fact, force his wife to have sex against her will.
Not for a man of his generation. He's old enough to be playing the game where the male is the pursuer and the female the pursued. It's a 1950's model, no longer valid, and he's an idiot for not changing with the times. Perhaps his money shields him from the new realities.
Overall, I get the impression of someone who buys false stereotypes and is extremely shallow when it comes to personal relationships. Which I already knew. He makes these missteps constantly.
Is it a problem? It wasn't until he stepped into the public arena and all the examination that entails. His money and power do not shield him in this venue. So it's most definitely a problem now, and he'll lose the election because of it.
You don't need a knife.
In my experience men are often getting convicted of sexual abuse for unwanted touching when all the girl did was to say "no". Sometimes not even that.
The basic point of consent is that you shouldn't assume that the object of your attention will welcome your hands upon him/her. In the case of a situation of dependency it's even more important to get proper consent.
Trump doesn't care about that. Women are there to be ogled and touched for his pleasure.