• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS/ Trumped Up! Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Locker Room Talk: Everyone, especially CNN, seems to be misunderstanding this. Trump isn't talking about high school locker rooms. He's talking about the locker rooms he frequents, at exclusive golf clubs, and full of old, rich, white guys like him.

Well, plenty of professional athletes are getting a little irritated at the suggestion that they speak that way in their locker rooms. I don't even think his own supporters are buying the hand-waving.

Anderson Cooper got Trump to specifically state, during the second debate, that he had never done anything like that. I don't know if his denial was in reference to the pussy grabbing or the kissing. Not that it would cause Trump to bat an eyelid, but I'd hope that if he has done it to people, that they would come forward to contradict him.
 
I'm still nervous about the possibility of Trump turning this around.

I know, In Nate we Trust, and it's probably too late. But, the possibility that we could have a Trump presidency scares the crap out of me.

Please let Elizabeth Warren run in 2020.

Sigh.
 
Not everyone can see tweets here. It'd be nice if people used screenshots on this forum for them.

Orange Menace said:
Disloyal R's are far more difficult than Crooked Hillary. They come at you from all sides. They don’t know how to win - I will teach them!

Also, if someone gets the opportunity, kick Paul LePage in the shin and inform him he took an oath to uphold the Constitution.

Maine Gov. Paul LePage stood by Donald Trump in a radio interview on Tuesday, saying that the United States might need someone like the GOP nominee to show "authoritarian power," and dismissing concerns over an audiotape leaked last week that showed Trump describing how he forces himself upon women.

"Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy," LePage said on Maine radio station WVOM.
 
I'm still nervous about the possibility of Trump turning this around.

I know, In Nate we Trust, and it's probably too late. But, the possibility that we could have a Trump presidency scares the crap out of me.

Please let Elizabeth Warren run in 2020.

Sigh.

I see nothing wrong with a Clinton 2nd Term.
 
What the hell does one have to do with the other? One is a criminal act and the other is not! Is the fact that both are sexual in nature somehow the only important thing, here?

Judging by your portrayal im not even sure youve seen the transcripts of that interview for one. He certainly sounded like a crazed horn dog but thats about all the transcripts show.

And two... my criticism is that people didnt give a crap about clinton back then... and suddenly a mans' dirty talk is a problem now.

I really dont know what to tell you... i have nothing good to say for Trump on this matter other than people seem to enjoy reasoning it as a disqualifier after having no qualms about lewd comments or behavior in the past. It doesnt get any simpler than that. You got other reasons to despise the man.
 
Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with a Clinton 2nd Term.

Well, wait for her first term to near completion before saying that.

Not saying that Clinton will be a bad president (I expect her to along the lines of Obama - better side of average), but you never know what can happen. She might be horrible. She might get ill. Republicans could field a brilliant candidate....
 
Judging by your portrayal im not even sure youve seen the transcripts of that interview for one.

And two... my criticism is that people didnt give a crap about clinton back then... and suddenly a mans' dirty talk is a problem now.

I really dont know what to tell you... i have nothing good to say for Trump on this matter other than people seem to enjoy reasoning it as a disqualifier after having no qualms about lewd comments or behavior in the past. It doesnt get any simpler than that

Let us pretend, for a moment, that Clinton's affair and Trump's bragging about sexual assault were morally equivalent.

Clinton was in office. To remove a sitting president is a drastic act.

Trump is not in office. To decide that he should not be elected because of a similar act is nowhere nearly so drastic.

As I've said, I don't regard Clinton's affair with an intern as inconsequential, and I really was concerned about the related perjury. I'm not sure whether removal would have been the right consequence. I can imagine decent persons disagreeing.

On the other hand, Trump's comments are fairly serious. I'm not sure whether, absent his other flaws, I would find them serious enough to be disqualifying. It's hard to imagine my reaction in such a different situation. Indeed, I think he should not be elected because of his myriad other flaws, and this is just a little kindling added to the fire.

So, you tell me: am I being hypocritical?
 
And two... my criticism is that people didnt give a crap about clinton back then... and suddenly a mans' dirty talk is a problem now.

No one cared about the lewdness then. No one cares about it now. (Well, I shouldn't say "no one" but what I mean is that the vast majority of people don't care that he was captured on tape talking lewdly.)


Back then, an awful lot of people cared a tiny bit about his behavior, but they didn't think it was worth impeaching someone over. Moreover, it wasn't worth investigating someone over. In the words of Bill Maher, "The American people thought that Ken Sttarr's questions were worse that Bill Clinton's lies." We still feel that way.


However, if you want to understand what the left, and even more so, various women, left especially but also on the right, are upset about, it would be worthwhile to revisit the 1998 scandal and see what aspects of Clinton's behavior did draw some degree of revulsion and condemnation from his supporters. I would say that of all the things we found distasteful, the worse was when he said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

It was the way he said "that woman". It was clear that he was perfectly willing to become intimate with her, and yet in his mind she was a nobody. A cute kid, maybe. I think he gave her a book ("Leaves of Grass") he probably even liked her, but it was clear he still looked at her as someone to be used and discarded. Some of us found that offensive. Not offensive enough to be impeached, but offensive.


Now, given that we found that offensive, how do you think we would see Trump and the way he talked?
 
Also, if someone gets the opportunity, kick Paul LePage in the shin and inform him he took an oath to uphold the Constitution.

Maine Gov. Paul LePage stood by Donald Trump in a radio interview on Tuesday, saying that the United States might need someone like the GOP nominee to show "authoritarian power," and dismissing concerns over an audiotape leaked last week that showed Trump describing how he forces himself upon women.

"Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy," LePage said on Maine radio station WVOM.

I can't even parse that. The current president is too autocratic, and to correct the country, we need someone even more autocratic?

Is there any other way to interpret LePage's quote?
 
And two... my criticism is that people didnt give a crap about clinton back then...
I recall an outpouring of disgust and sense of betrayal from Clinton's erstwhile supporters when the Lewinsky story emerged. It was contemptible behaviour. People did give a crap, and we haven't forgiven him nor will.

I think a problem here is that you're talking about Clinton and Trump being in the same category of thing, while other people are taking you to mean they're the same thing. It's all rather barren, in my opinion.
 
Well, wait for her first term to near completion before saying that.

Not saying that Clinton will be a bad president (I expect her to along the lines of Obama - better side of average), but you never know what can happen. She might be horrible. She might get ill. Republicans could field a brilliant candidate....

Well, I'm basing it on what I see now. So far there's no reason to start asking for Warren to run in 2020.
 
I can't even parse that. The current president is too autocratic, and to correct the country, we need someone even more autocratic?

Is there any other way to interpret LePage's quote?
It might be explained by an embolism.

logger (and he's presumably not alone) thinks that Obama's high opinion rating is due to the Republicans preventing him from doing anything. They really are in a dreadful tizzy over there on the right.
 
And two... my criticism is that people didnt give a crap about clinton back then... and suddenly a mans' dirty talk is a problem now.

It's not the "dirty talk" that's the problem. It's the bragging about criminal behavior. If he had bragged about groping women without consent, but used all PG words, it would still be just as bad.
 
I can't even parse that. The current president is too autocratic, and to correct the country, we need someone even more autocratic?

Is there any other way to interpret LePage's quote?

Knowing what a cretin LePage is this is probably a better way to parse it:

The current president is too black, and to correct the country, we need someone male and white.

ETA: To keep in Star Wars prequel analogies, what you described is basically the plot of Revenge of the Sith.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom