• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS / Trumped Up! Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much doubt Trump cares a toss about AGW except insofar as denying it appeals to a particular audience. So deny it he has, of course. That thing about building a sea-wall to protect one of his golfcourses is about sea-level rise, another subject entirely, which he does believe in.
 
Not to digress too far, but it really is possible to make big bucks and pay near-zero taxes. This is why Warren Buffett supports a minimum tax on the wealthy, requiring people above a certain level to pay at least a 30% tax no matter how many deductions they have. Even Mitt Romney talked about limiting the total deductions that could be claimed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/opinion/buffett-a-minimum-tax-for-the-wealthy.html?_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/u...like-a-romney-idea-to-cap-tax-deductions.html

If Trump was smarter, he'd appeal to his base -- and maybe a lot of other people -- by releasing his taxes and saying "Lookee here, I'm one of the richest guys in the world, and I'm paying zero taxes, and it's all legal. That's how screwed up our system is, and if you elect me I'll change it, and I know how."

It's no secret that the tax code is screwed up. But there is also no reason to believe that Trump has any real desire to change it.
 
....and I'm paying zero taxes, and it's all legal. ...

You're assuming that everything he's doing is legal. Given his careless self-dealing with his foundation's money (which is open to public scrutiny), I doubt his private finances are any cleaner.

Steve S
 
I think that's slightly mistaken. Trump lies and he BSes, but mostly he's mouthing off. He doesn't respect the truth enough to remember what he said. Did he lie when he said he would never accept Cruz's endorsement? In the moment, he probably believed it; in fact, he probably believed Cruz would never endorse him. A few days ago he accepted the endorsement and praised Cruz as a "brilliant" opponent (which implies Trump is even more brilliant since he defeated the guy).

He just assumed Holt was a Democrat, which is not the worst assumption in the world.
Not caring about the truth doesn't absolve him of being guilty of lying. He's still a lying liar no matter what he thinks about himself or anything else. In other words, I consider his intent all but meaningless in this context, unless people are regularly lying to him and he's just parroting their lies.
 
Not caring about the truth doesn't absolve him of being guilty of lying.

You're assuming the truth of what you're saying. Whether or not he's lying is precisely what's in dispute. In order for a person to lie, he must intentionally make statements contrary to what he believes to be true.

In other words, I consider his intent all but meaningless in this context, unless people are regularly lying to him and he's just parroting their lies.

You cannot separate intention from lying. A false statement is not necessarily a lie, and a lie is not necessarily false. Trump just doesn't care much about the truth, and as Harry Frankfurt says in his monograph On ********, BSers are some ways worse than liars.
 
You didn't understand my point. I said quite the opposite. Never mind. All this political effervescence has everybody as rational as the public during the Super Bowl.

Ok, then tell me how I'm been irrational by pointing out that deliberately misleading people by telling untruth is lying.

You're the one playing with words, not I.
 
It is another direct contradiction: if releasing them would make him look good (or "smart"), why doesn't he do it?


Good point. There's likely something very damaging to his image in there. I still strongly suspect that something is that he's not nearly as rich as he claims. He may even be in imminent financial trouble.

You didn't understand my point. I said quite the opposite. Never mind. All this political effervescence has everybody as rational as the public during the Super Bowl.


You post a lot of weird, nonsensical fantasies. Don't pretend that it's the fault of everyone else when they don't get it. If you have a point you want to make, make it plainly.
 
Last edited:
You're missing my point: yours is a distinction without a difference: he's not pretending in order to entertain; he's lying.

Maybe he has the same kind of opinion on this that Sunmaster has stated. Trump's lies are okay because they are so obvious. Clinton's lies aren't because they can't be proven to be lies.

Then again, with the kind of mental gymnastics that Trumpeteers use, it is hard to say what the hell they are thinking.
 
Here is the beauty contest winner that human piece of trash Donald Trump shamed for gaining weight sharing her story.

https://youtu.be/U8ZM58O_gBo

"Ello Ms. Housekeeping," lol. Classic Trump. :D

He got her to shed the dreaded el-bees, and forced Obama to produce a long form birth certificate. Democrats only criticize Donald J. Trump because he gets results that matter.
 
CtYmIlyWYAEHNFT.jpg
 
Trump's "humour" is just so edgy :rolleyes:

Then again maybe he's just being honest there. He's a shallow waste of oxygen who would trade Melania in for a younger model when her boobs lose their allure. If so that seems consistent with the rest of his persona.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom