• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS / Trumped Up! Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Citation Needed, but I don't think it's unlikely at all. In fact I've seen many reports over the years of the very rich paying little or no tax. Warren Buffet has publicly stated he has a lower tax rate than his secretary.
That's because his income is in dividends/capital gains which are taxed at a different rate than regular income.
 
That's because his income is in dividends/capital gains which are taxed at a different rate than regular income.

Nope. Dividends are treated as ordinary income. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate, depending if they are short or long term.

That said, I'm not sure how invested in the stock market Trump actually is. I suspect he pays no income tax because of loopholes available only to the very wealthy. It also wouldn't surprise me if he mixes his personal income with his businesses to show little to no official "income".
 
Citation Needed, but I don't think it's unlikely at all. In fact I've seen many reports over the years of the very rich paying little or no tax. Warren Buffet has publicly stated he has a lower tax rate than his secretary.

I think the key is their businesses - separate corporations - most likely do pay tax, both income tax on earnings and matching FICA/Social Security for most of their employees.
 
If it were for me, I'd fail both candidates and demand new primaries.
I read that initially as "demand new primates". I really am losing what little faith I had in my species.

Trump's people seem to have been panicked by Trump disowning climate denial. Sort of. Whatever, the're rowing it back just in case people got that impression. Trump certainly didn't own climate denial, and that seems to be up there with guns for his constituency.
 
Nope. Dividends are treated as ordinary income. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate, depending if they are short or long term.

That said, I'm not sure how invested in the stock market Trump actually is. I suspect he pays no income tax because of loopholes available only to the very wealthy. It also wouldn't surprise me if he mixes his personal income with his businesses to show little to no official "income".
Qualified dividends are taxed at the same rate as long term capital gains.

Qualified dividends are the ordinary dividends subject to the same 0%, 15%, or 20% maximum tax rate that applies to net capital gain. They should be shown in box 1b of the Form 1099-DIV you receive.

The maximum rate of tax on qualified dividends is:

0% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at a 10% or 15% rate.

15% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at rates greater than 15% but less than 39.6%.

20% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at a 39.6% rate.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch08.html#en_US_2015_publink1000171596
 
Hillary said something about him claiming that climate change is a Chinese hoax to hurt America. He interrupted and claimed he never said that.
Yes, she quoted in the debate the exact words Trump had used in a Tweet from November 2012. He has since claimed that it was a "joke", but if I read that Politifact article right, the "joke" part is only the Chinese link. He's referred to climate change as a hoax numerous times, and he's not called that a joke. During the debate, Trump only interrupted Hilllary with "I do not say that", but he has not fully said he's convinced climate change is real, let alone that it is anthropogenic.
 
Nope. Dividends are treated as ordinary income. Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate, depending if they are short or long term.

That said, I'm not sure how invested in the stock market Trump actually is. I suspect he pays no income tax because of loopholes available only to the very wealthy. It also wouldn't surprise me if he mixes his personal income with his businesses to show little to no official "income".
In addition, he apparently gets business partners to cut checks for debts incurred to his charity rather than his businesses. link
 
True - sorry I didn't make that distinction. I'm not sure it applies to Trump though, and without seeing his tax return we won't know. He keeps talking about how much money he made during the housing crisis - that makes me think he is not invested in the stock market.
To be clear, I was saying that's how Warren Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his secretary.
 
I read that initially as "demand new primates". I really am losing what little faith I had in my species.

:D Let's blame a pair of reading glasses, easier to get a new one than a new perspective.

Trump's people seem to have been panicked by Trump disowning climate denial. Sort of. Whatever, the're rowing it back just in case people got that impression. Trump certainly didn't own climate denial, and that seems to be up there with guns for his constituency.

I already had angry debates with many here about this, but Trump never denied AGW. He played it down when asked about in more elevated situations, and acted the hoax card as needed by his base.

It seems like everybody expects politicians to be honest, straightforward and thoroughly about every possible subject, just to feel badly when they are not it. It's like buying a lottery ticket, learning one won nothing, lamenting a little bit and then, full of expectation, buying a new lottery ticket.

The problem with Trump is not the amount of bull Trump-the-actor says that Trump-the-person doesn't believe. His problem is that he is burning so many bridges in this campaign that should he become president -Darwin forbid- he will create a lot of troubles trying to adapt script to reality and vice-versa.
 
:D Let's blame a pair of reading glasses, easier to get a new one than a new perspective.



I already had angry debates with many here about this, but Trump never denied AGW. He played it down when asked about in more elevated situations, and acted the hoax card as needed by his base.

It seems like everybody expects politicians to be honest, straightforward and thoroughly about every possible subject, just to feel badly when they are not it. It's like buying a lottery ticket, learning one won nothing, lamenting a little bit and then, full of expectation, buying a new lottery ticket.

The problem with Trump is not the amount of bull Trump-the-actor says that Trump-the-person doesn't believe. His problem is that he is burning so many bridges in this campaign that should he become president -Darwin forbid- he will create a lot of troubles trying to adapt script to reality and vice-versa.

I don't know what reality you're living in where calling it a hoax isn't denying it.
 
The election is a dumpster fire. If he wants to grade on a curve, let him grade on a curve. Do you have ANY ideas how many decimal places we'd need to grade these two if 10 were something like "Lincoln giving the Gettysburg address" in terms of "Sounding Presidential?" Do we REALLY need a discussion about the fifth decimal place after 0.0?

That's god damn nonsense. Trump is definitely a dumpster fire. But Secretary Clinton sounds more than capable.

Every speech pales in comparison to the Gettysburg Address and I'm not holding my breath until one even comes remotely close. Maybe MLK's "I have a dream", JFKs inaugural address or Teddy's "Man in the Arena" are maybe 5s to the perfect 10 of the Gettysburg Address. I doubt you will think any of Abe's remarks during the Lincoln Douglas debates was all that memorable.

Even Lincoln wasn't the greatest of speakers. He also didn't look exactly Presidential, his voice was reportedly "reedy" and he wasn't very photogenic.

I have always believed that JFK was the greatest Presidential orator in the last 90 years, but as a President he was so so at best. In my book LBJ and Ike were both much better Presidents.
 
I agree. My only objection is I vehemently oppose nearly every one of her policy proposals. But I agree she meets a minimum standard of competency.

While I agree with most of them. But thank you Bob for approaching it honestly.
 
I don't know what reality you're living in where calling it a hoax isn't denying it.

"Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice."

Trump-the-person said to Trump-the-actor: "this year, before November 8th, thou shalt deny global warming three hundred times". I'm always talking about Trump-the-person (Trump for short).
 
"Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice."

Trump-the-person said to Trump-the-actor: "this year, before November 8th, thou shalt deny global warming three hundred times". I'm always talking about Trump-the-person (Trump for short).
So your "explanation" is that Trump didn't deny global warming because he was acting?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom