• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump runs for POTUS / Trumped Up! Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be right, and the comparison seems particularly apt given how much Cruz seems to be hated by his colleagues...and everyone else who has ever spent any amount of time with him.
There is that, of course. Something you hear from all sides is that to know the man is to hate him.

It won't stop him trying, though.
 
Or he's hoping Trump will lose and is establishing his party loyalty in preparation for the fall-out.
If so, it's a terrible strategy. When Trump loses, even if there are loud accusations that the Republicans who refused to support him are at fault, you can be sure that behind the scenes (where the power gets broked) the elite will be paying more attention to those who stood in opposition to him.
Not only that, long term if Cruz decides to run again, he can no longer claim to be the principled candidate, standing up to someone inflaming racist tensions. Now he'll be just another toady to a bigoted loser.
 
I think it's hard to know what will happen in the aftermath of what many Republicans expect to be a disastrous 2016 campaign. I can understand Nixon winning points by supporting Goldwater, Goldwater was, after all, an established and longtime Republican. Nixon supported the candidate the Party nominated like any loyal party member should do -- but today's situation is different.

Trump has no history as a Republican, appears not to especially support (or even understand) a lot of the Party's key beliefs and has shown very little loyalty. Just ambition. Trump's candidacy seems more like an invasion of the Republican Party -- or in business terms, a hostile takeover -- and I would think there will be a lot of score-settling if The Don falls on his face in November.
 
Didn't Donald claim he wouldn't accept the endorsement even if Cruz changed his mind?

ETA: He said exactly that.

Trump also called Cruz a "brilliant" opponent.

The thing about Trump is that while he is a thin-skinned narcissist, if you bend the knee for him, he'll lavish you with praise.

As for Cruz, I still contend that dracula mother-********** would make a worse president than Trump.
 
I was never convinced that Cruz's prior stance really was what I would call principled. It was personal. He didn't refrain from endorsing Trump because Trump is unqualified, or even because Trump is not a conservative, but because Trump insulted his family. That is not a matter of political principle, but of familial pride, a much less noble concern.

Now, of course, he's given that up. Cruz is just as low a chicken-**** as Christie, in the end. He has forfeit the quite small respect he had previously earned.
 
Not only that, long term if Cruz decides to run again, he can no longer claim to be the principled candidate, standing up to someone inflaming racist tensions. Now he'll be just another toady to a bigoted loser.
If he's up against other toadies it won't become an issue. Only the principled candidates will try to make it one and they can be buried under accusations of disloyalty and questions about their birth certificates and employment of undocumented serviles.

Trump is a one-off who caught them out but after him normal service will be resumed.
 
He thinks that will save him from the vengeance of a POTUS Trump.

Nah, he does not want to get blamed if Trump loses....

I hate Trump as much as anybody,but this Trump will become a Hitler and throw the constitution out the window I find to be exaggerated.
 
The Republican Party made one easily identifiable mistake which let Trump in - that vast array of candidates at the start. Without that he'd never have become the story - and once he did become the story he was in his element. That won't happen again.
 
I hate Trump as much as anybody,but this Trump will become a Hitler and throw the constitution out the window I find to be exaggerated.
Better men than Trump have tried. In the balance of powers the Presidency is the lightest.

Except in foreign affairs. That's where he can do real damage. He won't ease the internal problems, but they're hitting the streets already.
 
The Republican Party made one easily identifiable mistake which let Trump in - that vast array of candidates at the start. Without that he'd never have become the story - and once he did become the story he was in his element. That won't happen again.

You always have a lot of candidates, the GOP mistake was legitimizing so many of them with the debates. Guaranteed, they are going to tighten the qualfications for getting into the debates.Probably by demanding higher poll numbers: maybe to for the top Five.
 
You always have a lot of candidates, the GOP mistake was legitimizing so many of them with the debates. Guaranteed, they are going to tighten the qualfications for getting into the debates.Probably by demanding higher poll numbers: maybe to for the top Five.
Probably by demanding mental health checks. That would have culled the last lot mightily.
 
Trump's candidacy seems more like an invasion of the Republican Party -- or in business terms, a hostile takeover...

I like the way you put that.

I was a Republican*, and I still can't quite figure out what happened.


*I'm still registered as such in GA, but for now see myself more as a lapsed Republican, on hiatus from the party until it regains its mind - if, in fact, it ever does.
 
I like the way you put that.

I was a Republican*, and I still can't quite figure out what happened.


*I'm still registered as such in GA, but for now see myself more as a lapsed Republican, on hiatus from the party until it regains its mind - if, in fact, it ever does.

I have two college buddies who re-registered as independents (instead of Republicans) as a result of Trump. I'm quite proud of them.

I have always registered as an independent.
 
I was never convinced that Cruz's prior stance really was what I would call principled. It was personal. He didn't refrain from endorsing Trump because Trump is unqualified, or even because Trump is not a conservative, but because Trump insulted his family. That is not a matter of political principle, but of familial pride, a much less noble concern.

Now, of course, he's given that up. Cruz is just as low a chicken-**** as Christie, in the end. He has forfeit the quite small respect he had previously earned.

I would put my family sbove a political party, it's a matter of principle and familial pride.
That you think party should come before fsmily puts you in a bad light in my opinion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom