Francesca R
Girl
As I wrote up the page (ETA page before this), part of an effective opposition requires it to be credible / electable.I don't understand that. Has the opposition in Parliament no function or purpose between elections?
As I wrote up the page (ETA page before this), part of an effective opposition requires it to be credible / electable.I don't understand that. Has the opposition in Parliament no function or purpose between elections?
Again see above. FPTP carries considerable baggage with it that severely neuters this nice idea of parties starting up all over the place and an extensive buffet table of policy preferences to select.It's not up to Labour to represent YOUR particular political views. You don't like them, vote for someone else.
No doubt that's "part". But the major part is to be opposed, I mean as a matter of policy or principle, not simply in personal or party rivalry for the fruits of office.As I wrote up the page (ETA page before this), part of an effective opposition requires it to be credible / electable.
Yet they stuck with Milliband so it can't just be that.This isn't the media.
Media attacking the leader of the party opposed to a particular paper's position is something any leader has to put up with. The media "bullied" Ed.
This is not about the media. This is about an unprecedented number of the PLP actively opposing their leader because he has turned out to be singularly incapable of actually doing the job.
No this IS the media.
If the media tomorrow decided that Corbyn was great the PLP wouldn't have a problem with him.
It seems that the PLP have decided that Corbyn's job is fighting a leadership election and he seems to be doing that capably.
How do you know she is not a Labour Party member?
Which is why Labour have been doing so well in the polls since he took over...oh wait.
If I recall correctly he took over after what has been described as a rather disastrous general election (for Labour).I think you mistake the media reflecting Corbyn's actual performance for it influencing people's view of it.
Seriously. He has a job to do as leader of the Labour party a large part of which, as Francesca says, is to look like a viable alternative. He is not managing to do that. And it's not the trouble with his MPs post-Brexit. They were trailing in the weeks prior to the referendum, though Corbynista's seem to have attempted to rewrite history on that one.
Which is why Labour have been doing so well in the polls since he took over...oh wait.
As I wrote up the page (ETA page before this), part of an effective opposition requires it to be credible / electable.
Again see above. FPTP carries considerable baggage with it that severely neuters this nice idea of parties starting up all over the place and an extensive buffet table of policy preferences to select.
What you see as "personal or party rivalry for the fruits of office" I see as an effective check on power. I think you belittle it to the most socially unuseful terms. An "unelectable" opposition is not so effective.
I think you mistake the media reflecting Corbyn's actual performance for it influencing people's view of it.
Seriously. He has a job to do as leader of the Labour party a large part of which, as Francesca says, is to look like a viable alternative. He is not managing to do that. And it's not the trouble with his MPs post-Brexit. They were trailing in the weeks prior to the referendum, though Corbynista's seem to have attempted to rewrite history on that one.
Which is why Labour have been doing so well in the polls since he took over...oh wait.
The 2015 election was the first in which Labour managed to increase their share of the vote since 1997. This followed three consecutive elections which each saw Labour losing an average of over 4% of the popular vote.If I recall correctly he took over after what has been described as a rather disastrous general election (for Labour).
I actually agree that in many ways it wasn't a disaster but that's not how it is usually described.The 2015 election was the first in which Labour managed to increase their share of the vote since 1997. This followed three consecutive elections which each saw Labour losing an average of over 4% of the popular vote.
I guess it all depends on how you measure success.
Before the Chicken Coup, Labour were pulling ahead in the polls.
If I recall correctly he took over after what has been described as a rather disastrous general election (for Labour).
A better link perhaps.No they weren't.
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
Go on, show the trend.
That's the ******** meme that Momentum has been trying to push, but it's as much arse as the £350 million was for the Leave campaign.
When people attack Corbyn with media talking points then the two things are one and the same. Corbyn was attacked by the media from day one in the job.
A viable ALTERNATIVE. Not a viable replication. And we have no idea if he's viable or not as we haven't been to a general election yet. Of course the media have decided he isn't viable but they would, wouldn't they?
Labour are a shambles and have been for some time. Perhaps if they had a credible alternative leader there would be a stronger case to be made to get rid of Corbyn but the wet tissues offered up are not credible either - so it's purely a case of Anyone But Corbyn.
Agree.And to be different than those they oppose, surely?
You don't half sound like you're from Citizens United. As above I believe the Labour party in the UK is a quasi public institution not only a private members' club and it has civic duties wider than obligations to its members and which should rank above obligations to its members. Obviously this is not an enforceable position and it evidently does not carry the day but I find your counters to it very weak. I am surprised you hold them really particularly this idea of paying for influence.But the Labour Party members (those that pay their money and get a say) want the party to represent their views. Not the views of people who don't pay their money and don't get a say.
I suspect they do not. I think that is short sighted and self serving of them but that is an opinion.Perhaps these people don't care so much about being credible as actually being an alternative.
That's odd because I think that's just what they did.Incidentally when the Tories were in opposition I don't remember anyone suggesting they should become more left-wing in order to be electable
That's odd because I think that's just what they did.
Yes, even rivalry between two equivalent sets of crooks is a very valuable thing in a political power structure, but that doesn't detract from the merit or even political utility attaching to principle and integrity.What you see as "personal or party rivalry for the fruits of office" I see as an effective check on power. I think you belittle it to the most socially unuseful terms. An "unelectable" opposition is not so effective.
How do you know she is not a Labour Party member?
She has voted for both (not in the same election since that's not allowed) but she's never been a member of either.Well she did say she was a Lib Dem voter...