• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

  • Hillary Clinton will be the nominee.

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Bernie Sanders will be the nominee.

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Vermin Supreme will be the nominee.

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Someone else will be the nominee.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Planet X will unleash their secret weapon - a 35 year old clone of Justin Trudeau who was born in Wa

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    27
  • Poll closed .
Some here have been saying what a disaster the DNC convention, and Hillary's speech, was. While I was not crazy about it, I thought it was serviceable.

But if it was a disaster, and since the polls are starting to show the DNC bump overcoming Trump again, then yikes, Trump has a lot of digging out to do, and not much time to do it. Even the DNC disaster here is beating him again.
 
You're preaching to the choir. Clinton's actions make her practically a neo-con. But it just doesn't feel authentic to me. I think it's a facade she feels she has to construct in order to be taken seriously as a CiC. I'm not posting about what she's done, but what her true motives are.

Did it "feel authentic" when Bill Clinton did it? I have no particular insight into the nature of their marriage, but husbands and wives often do assimilate much of the same assumptions and justifications.
 
Some here have been saying what a disaster the DNC convention, and Hillary's speech, was. While I was not crazy about it, I thought it was serviceable.

But if it was a disaster, and since the polls are starting to show the DNC bump overcoming Trump again, then yikes, Trump has a lot of digging out to do, and not much time to do it. Even the DNC disaster here is beating him again.

I don't think it was a disaster. Not as good as Bill or Barack pretty much ever. But as good or better than Gore in 2000 or Mondale or Dukakis. It wasn't flashy, but it was solid. It didn't feel stilted or robotic which was afraid of. She is a moderately good public speaker. I think she looked very happy and that came across.

I'll take it
 
This might come as a surprise, but I am not a big fan of Hillary and even i think that is a wee bit sexist.

Women can have an egomaniac thirst for power and bloodlust as much as any man.

Exhibit a: Hillary Clinton

Actually, I never thought any of that about you. But I do believe many of Trump's supporters are racist,
are sexist,
are morons.

I don't think YOU are any of those things.
I see you as an "all in" hate Democrats,
hate progressives
hate unions
hate the poor
hate anything that smacks of helping others as you see that as socialism.

I figure your TV is on FOX news and your radio is always tuned to some right wing station.
You think the NY Times and Washington Post are un-American
You hate the big cities and the people that live in them.
You just love guns and own at least 5.

How am I doing?
 
Actually, I never thought any of that about you. But I do believe many of Trump's supporters are racist,
are sexist,
are morons.

I don't think YOU are any of those things.
I see you as an "all in" hate Democrats,
hate progressives
hate unions
hate the poor
hate anything that smacks of helping others as you see that as socialism.

I figure your TV is on FOX news and your radio is always tuned to some right wing station.
You think the NY Times and Washington Post are un-American
You hate the big cities and the people that live in them.
You just love guns and own at least 5.

How am I doing?

I think you best take a gander at the membership agreement you signed when you joined this place.

Your pal, 16.5
 
"A man that you can bait with a tweet should not have his hands on the nuclear codes."

I guess it depends how he responds to the tweet. Does he respond by calling his lawyers and launching a ruinous lawsuit against the tweeter? Does he respond by sending mob goons around to the tweeter's house to break his legs? In that case, I'd be extremely worried that he'd respond to some diplomatic slight or military setback by starting a nuclear war.

On the other hand, if he responds to tweets with more tweets, then I wouldn't be very concerned at all. That's a man who repays like with like. Tweets with tweets. Trade sanctions with trade sanctions. Conventional war with conventional war. And nuclear launches with nuclear launches.

And really, that's the best kind of man to have his hands on the nuclear codes. The greatest risk of nuclear war would be the leader of a nuclear power who could not be relied upon to press the button when doctrine demands it.

Could Hillary be baited by a Russian nuclear launch to retaliate in kind?
 
I think you best take a gander at the membership agreement you signed when you joined this place.

Your pal, 16.5

But am I wrong? I posed a question to you. That is all. It was about Trump's supporters which you are one.

You're the one who said that all his supporters were not sexist, racist etc. This is what you brought up. I agreed with you. But your obsessive support has to come from somewhere. You may not be any of those things for all I know. You might be a granola eating hippie who lives in a commune and uses biodegradable soap.

Both of those things are stereotypes. But that doesn't necessarily make them inaccurate.

You drive around this country as much as I do and it's damn clear that the people that live in rural America are exposed to a very different experience than people in the cities. I drove from Seattle WA to Coos Bay Oregon over the lsst few days and it's a totally different world. Almost everyone here is white. Seattle OTOH has a huge mix of races and religions. There are more gun stores in the sticks than you would expect. The radio frequencies offer little beyond right wing commentary and evangelism. (I gave up and drove in silence)

Rural America from my experience is an echo chamber and it must take an independent mind and strong intellectual honesty to have a contrarian opinion.

Or am I wrong?
 
Last edited:
I am surprised that the ratings are better for the Dems. I thought that Trump was the guy who got ratings. Maybe it is a sign that the voters are a little bored with the Trump Circus,and are getting more serious.
 
But am I wrong? I posed a question to you. That is all. It was about Trump's supporters which you are one.

You're the one who said that all his supporters were not sexist, racist etc. This is what you brought up. I agreed with you. But your obsessive support has to come from somewhere. You may not be any of those things for all I know. You might be a granola eating hippie who lives in a commune and uses biodegradable soap.

Both of those things are stereotypes. But that doesn't necessarily make them inaccurate.

You drive around this country as much as I do and it's damn clear that the people that live in rural America are exposed to a very different experience than people in the cities. I drove from Seattle WA to Coos Bay Oregon over the lsst few days and it's a totally different world. Almost everyone here is white. Seattle OTOH has a huge mix of races and religions. There are more gun stores in the sticks than you would expect. The radio frequencies offer little beyond right wing commentary and evangelism. (I gave up and drove in silence)

Rural America from my experience is an echo chamber and it must take an independent mind and strong intellectual honesty to have a contrarian opinion.

Or am I wrong?

I have spent quite a bit of time in "Rural America"...in the West,in particular....and it varies a lot from area to area. In Rural New Mexico, for instance, you have quite a mix of ethnics groups. There are a couple of twons I have been in where the Native Americand and Hispanics outnumber the Whites.
As for Echo Chamber, I have been in a couple of communities in the SF Bay Area where it is pretty much a lefty Echo Chamber.......
ANd, come one, you are saying you could not find a few music stations in Rural
America?
And just driving through does not five you a good portrait of a community.
 
I am surprised that the ratings are better for the Dems. I thought that Trump was the guy who got ratings. Maybe it is a sign that the voters are a little bored with the Trump Circus,and are getting more serious.

Were they? Trump is visiting Colorado springs and just said:

Trump called her speech “average,” and said he had better TV ratings.
 
Polling and tv viewer ratings are two different animals, neither useful in crafting policy foreign or domestic. Teh Donald keeps talking about the wrong things.
 
Last edited:
I have spent quite a bit of time in "Rural America"...in the West,in particular....and it varies a lot from area to area. In Rural New Mexico, for instance, you have quite a mix of ethnics groups. There are a couple of twons I have been in where the Native Americand and Hispanics outnumber the Whites.
As for Echo Chamber, I have been in a couple of communities in the SF Bay Area where it is pretty much a lefty Echo Chamber.......
ANd, come one, you are saying you could not find a few music stations in Rural
America?
And just driving through does not five you a good portrait of a community.

No, there was a couple of country music stations and a Spanish language station.

There also was a lot of empty bandwidth.

Yes, you are right, it doesn't. But I also do other things. Everyone is not of same mind, I agree. It just IS a different world than the cities. Their needs, dreams and expectations are different. What they do for recreation is very different. It's very easy to see for example why guns is a big part of the culture. It's something to do. And it puts food on the table.

There ARE reasons that some of these things are baked in the cake.

And yes you are right that there are lefty echo chambers as well.
 
Last edited:
I am surprised that the ratings are better for the Dems. I thought that Trump was the guy who got ratings. Maybe it is a sign that the voters are a little bored with the Trump Circus,and are getting more serious.

While the ratings were better overall, Donald decisively beat Hillay head to head.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom