• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Corbyn's days (very) numbered?

Here's more mocking fun.

OffGuardian said:
[...] It seems about the only thing the Blairites haven’t tried yet to get rid of Corbyn is a car-bomb! (On second thought, we probably shouldn’t say that out loud; it might give them ideas.) [...]
 
Note how they don't actually dispute the facts, just demonstrated a kinder gentler politics as practiced by student radicals in the 1980s.


The only "fact" is what that guy claims, which they acknowledge:

The Canary said:
The accusation McGinn is making is that Jeremy Corbyn ‘threatened’ to ring his Dad to inform him of his son’s defection to the neoliberal wing of politics. It’s unclear what McGinn hoped to achieve from the outburst, but what ended up happening was this.

[twitter hilarity]
 
Here's more mocking fun.

OffGuardian said:
[...] It seems about the only thing the Blairites haven’t tried yet to get rid of Corbyn is a car-bomb! (On second thought, we probably shouldn’t say that out loud; it might give them ideas.) [...]


Probably not a good idea to remind people of car bombs given that Corbyn's seeming* support for the IRA bombing campaign.


*He left a little wiggle room, but it it very small.
 
I think the next election might still be in the unchartered waters territory. People voted for a variety of things in the referendum and it may not be a matter of an opposition winning but the Conservatives losing if they don't deliver what people thought they were voting for. The Conservatives did not win the referendum, but they do need to deliver it a a populist level if they want the vote at the next election. Also, if we need to keep free movement of people to get a good position on goods or we join the EEA, or the economy does start to crumble, we will see new splits in the Tories. I really don't think we are in the politics as usual game anymore.

Which is why I want someone vaguely competent

and presumably what The Donn was thinking of too

I'd be happy if Smith actually managed to provide an effective opposition to a deeply split Conservative party with a tiny majority. He'd be doing his job if he did.

If he manages to do that then, depending on when the next election is, and what policies it adopts, it may gain support if its Brexit position chimes with the opinion of a majority of voters. That opinion may be quite different than it is today.
 
Incidentally, are there any Corbyn backers here?

I like Corbyn.

I'm not a Labour Party member, I was a lifelong Lib Dem voter, who is now wandering who the hell to vote for at the next election. I'd have voted Corbyn into office the first time around had I been.

He's hopelessly out of his depth though as Labour leader. He's evidently not a leader. At a time when the country needs a strong opposition he's letting the Tories off the hook far too easily for a party that has a very slender majority.

I think that the way he uses PMQs to put questions to the Tory frontbench that normal people want answered is admirable, but I can't think of anything else he's done that I like and if he gets re-elected as leader the Labour party will split and we'll be stuck with Conservatives with an actual large majority for another decade.
 
I like Corbyn.

I'm not a Labour Party member, I was a lifelong Lib Dem voter, who is now wandering who the hell to vote for at the next election. I'd have voted Corbyn into office the first time around had I been.

He's hopelessly out of his depth though as Labour leader. He's evidently not a leader. At a time when the country needs a strong opposition he's letting the Tories off the hook far too easily for a party that has a very slender majority.
I think that the way he uses PMQs to put questions to the Tory frontbench that normal people want answered is admirable, but I can't think of anything else he's done that I like and if he gets re-elected as leader the Labour party will split and we'll be stuck with Conservatives with an actual large majority for another decade.

The highlighted is the main problem with him. He does also have a lot of baggage that he is holding onto as well though.
 
He does also have a lot of baggage that he is holding onto as well though.

Show me someone who doesn't have a bit of baggage, and I'll show you someone who is sorely lacking in life experience.

But yes, the highlighted bit is far and away the main problem.
 
It isn't life experience, it is a lifetime in pseudo-student politics. He's learned what goes down well with an audience of Trots, which is basically to sound increasingly left-wing.

The wider British electorate don't care about Cuban solidarity.

Supporting Chavez is also misguided, and he was still supporting him when it was clear that he is anti-democratic, just another kleptocrat ruining a country for his own benefit, and with a populist constituency.
 
So? Half my family are Irish. It doesn't mean - or shouldn't mean - we would give money to the IRA.



It's by Paul McCartney, actually.



Who said anything about supporting them being any better?



Remember that next time someone passes around a bucket for the cause.

We are moving away from the point I was making. We have all done or said something that later could be seen as regrettable some way down the line. I have never supported terrorists; I despise them. You can agree with the ideology of Irish history without condoning the violence.

So, were you to become party leader candidate tomorrow, what embarrasing thing will the SUN pick up about you? You once wore purple loon pants...? Looked up dirty words in the dictionary...?
 
We are moving away from the point I was making. We have all done or said something that later could be seen as regrettable some way down the line. I have never supported terrorists; I despise them. You can agree with the ideology of Irish history without condoning the violence.

So, were you to become party leader candidate tomorrow, what embarrasing thing will the SUN pick up about you? You once wore purple loon pants...? Looked up dirty words in the dictionary...?

Invited convicted terrorists to parliament a few weeks after their colleagues bombed the prime minister?

It is his incompetence that is the main problem though.
 
We are moving away from the point I was making. We have all done or said something that later could be seen as regrettable some way down the line. I have never supported terrorists; I despise them. You can agree with the ideology of Irish history without condoning the violence.

So, were you to become party leader candidate tomorrow, what embarrasing thing will the SUN pick up about you? You once wore purple loon pants...? Looked up dirty words in the dictionary...?

That's me :)

But Dave, Boris and all posing pompously in their Bullingdon club gear? Actually, The Mail took the piss out of them. Dave back, 2nd left. Boris is obvious:
 

Attachments

  • bullingdon.jpg
    bullingdon.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 7
I'm glad we can all agree that the left wing idealogue Corbyn is ruining things while that nice mild mannered centre-left Theresa May is pulling us out of Europe, clamping down on immigration, spending billions on WMDs and presumably still bombing Syria.
 
There'd be a point in having a weapon as a deterrent if you told your enemies in advance that you were not prepared to use it? You'll have to explain your contorted logic to persuade anyone of that.
To declare that you would not use Trident in any circumstances whatsoever is to declare that you are not fit to be the Prime Minister of this country.
 
Ironically, apart from a radical socialist spell in my youth, I am conservative by nature, but can't vote for them because of their nastiness, voted centre-party Green in the last two elections, couldn't stand the smarminess of 'Tory-boy' used car salesman veneer of Tony Bliar, although was delighted when Thatcher and co were kicked into touch.

I don't think Corbyn is 'old school' Trot. He's a parliamentarian. Being anti-nuclear weapon and pro-workers rights doesn't make him an ultra-leftie', although compared to May or Trump, he would be. IMV it is May and Trump who are extreme.

Wow, there's a centre-party Green in the UK? we live in amazing times.
 
To declare that you would not use Trident in any circumstances whatsoever is to declare that you are not fit to be the Prime Minister of this country.

Bizarre that this is the issue you choose to draw the line on.

I would say that refusing to take Syrian refugees is worse for example.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom