• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Corbyn's days (very) numbered?

And as a contrast to a view that centers around personal qualities in politics we have this view.

Graeber said:
Yet such an approach misses out on almost everything that’s really at stake here. The real battle is not over the personality of one man, or even a couple of hundred politicians. If the opposition to Jeremy Corbyn for the past nine months has been so fierce, and so bitter, it is because his existence as head of a major political party is an assault on the very notion that politics should be primarily about the personal qualities of politicians. It’s an attempt to change the rules of the game, and those who object most violently to the Labour leadership are precisely those who would lose the most personal power were it to be successful: sitting politicians and political commentators.
 
I see the latest YouGov poll puts Corbyn at 54% miles ahead of Eagle at 21% in the leadership contest.

Let's get this over with so we can get back to pretending that Labour would be electable if it wasn't for Corbyn...
 
I see the latest YouGov poll puts Corbyn at 54% miles ahead of Eagle at 21% in the leadership contest.

Let's get this over with so we can get back to pretending that Labour would be electable if it wasn't for Corbyn...

Well with a sample size of two, Mrs Don and me, you have two Labour voters who won't be voting Labour at the next general election if Corbyn is the Labour leader. Not because he is too left wing, not because Labour is unelectable under Corbyn (whatever party(ies) we choose to vote for will be more unlikely to form the next government) but because he has performed very poorly as leader of the opposition.

Specifically, he has been ineffective at the dispatch box during PMQ's, he has failed to motivate and inspire his MPs and the British public beyond his hardcore supporters and his chequered past allows his political opponents and the right-wing press too many easy points.
 
I see the latest YouGov poll puts Corbyn at 54% miles ahead of Eagle at 21% in the leadership contest.

Let's get this over with so we can get back to pretending that Labour would be electable if it wasn't for Corbyn...

I can't find the poll you refer to, but -

The bookies have the leadership odds at:

Corbyn: 1.44
Smith: 2.87
Eagle : 23.00

So Eagle seems to have faded to almost nowhere. Does your poll show Smith with the remainder, i.e. 25% ?
 
Last edited:
Well with a sample size of two, Mrs Don and me, you have two Labour voters who won't be voting Labour at the next general election if Corbyn is the Labour leader. Not because he is too left wing, not because Labour is unelectable under Corbyn (whatever party(ies) we choose to vote for will be more unlikely to form the next government) but because he has performed very poorly as leader of the opposition.

Specifically, he has been ineffective at the dispatch box during PMQ's, he has failed to motivate and inspire his MPs and the British public beyond his hardcore supporters and his chequered past allows his political opponents and the right-wing press too many easy points.

So who will you be voting for then?
 
I can't find the poll you refer to, but -

The bookies have the leadership odds at:

Corbyn: 1.44
Smith: 2.87
Eagle : 23.00

So Eagle seems to have faded to almost nowhere. Does your poll show Smith with the remainder, i.e. 25% ?

It was on twitter this morning so I'll try to track down the poll. Smith was 3rd. 18% maybe...around that.
 
Perhaps this thread should be merged with the one celebrating Bashar al-Assad's supposedly imminent departure from office. :)
 
Considering the colossal tool has quite a hefty majority I doubt it'll make much odds anyway.
:)
 
I haven't yet decided. It's easier to say who I won't be voting for

- UKIP
- The Conservatives
- Labour (under Corbyn)

Mrs Don is likely to vote Green.

I was just wondering because if your bar to voting was 'mounts an effective opposition' then it's a pretty high one that I don't think anyone can meet at the moment.

Even the SNP don't mount an effective opposition to be honest.
 
I was just wondering because if your bar to voting was 'mounts an effective opposition' then it's a pretty high one that I don't think anyone can meet at the moment.

Even the SNP don't mount an effective opposition to be honest.

I specifically did not mention that (though I have mentioned it as a failing of Corbyn). That said you can mount an effective opposition without having the votes to overturn votes.

OTOH the current government has a wafer-thin margin of 12 and yet Jeremy Corbyn has rarely made them sweat. IMO he had failed as a leader of the opposition at everything apart from perhaps making his hardcore supporters happy.
 
Considering the colossal tool has quite a hefty majority I doubt it'll make much odds anyway.
:)

That's true. Then again if his rabid support for Brexit alienates the (tiny) majority of voters who voted Remain, maybe it'll be closer this time.
 
I specifically did not mention that (though I have mentioned it as a failing of Corbyn). That said you can mount an effective opposition without having the votes to overturn votes.

OTOH the current government has a wafer-thin margin of 12 and yet Jeremy Corbyn has rarely made them sweat. IMO he had failed as a leader of the opposition at everything apart from perhaps making his hardcore supporters happy.

Even just being an effective leader might be quite a high barrier for most parties. I'm not even sure who the Lib Dem leader is this week and there isn't much visibility of the Greens. Who else is in the mix?

Not thought about standing yourself? :)
 
It seems that the recent wave of Labour party signups are, on balance, pro Corbyn. This might explain why the NEC was so keen to introduce the 6-month rule for voting, though they'd have to have had a clue that that's the way the wind was blowing.

linky
 
Last edited:
I specifically did not mention that (though I have mentioned it as a failing of Corbyn). That said you can mount an effective opposition without having the votes to overturn votes.

OTOH the current government has a wafer-thin margin of 12 and yet Jeremy Corbyn has rarely made them sweat. IMO he had failed as a leader of the opposition at everything apart from perhaps making his hardcore supporters happy.

The examples I linked to of explanations by former members of his shadow cabinet show that very clearly. There are plenty of other examples too.

He keeps shooting himself in the foot.

And as you say, Cameron's majority was less than Major's but Corbyn allowed him to behave as though he had had a landslide majority.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom