• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Corbyn's days (very) numbered?

Days are numbered, Eh? Hubris is indeed often punished by the gods. From the Daily Mail.
David Cameron slammed Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn during today's Prime Minister's Questions for refusing to quit.
Pressure for Mr Corbyn to stand down has continued to intensify as he faced fresh resignations from the front bench - including one MP who was appointed to the shadow cabinet just two days ago.
'For heaven's sake man, go,' Mr Cameron exploded, criticising Mr Corbyn's role in the EU referendum campaign.
'It might be in my party's interest for him to sit there, [but] it's not in the national interest.'
Mr Cameron's outburst was met by cheers from the Tory benches.​
Cameron gone now. Corbyn has survived him as a party leader.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Labour-leader-won-t-quit.html#ixzz4E8486YJ2
 
Erm, Cameron said that stuff the week after he had already resigned himself. So I don't think there was ever any "You go I stay" element to it. More like "I've done the right thing* you haven't"

*Doesnt make up for Cameron's wrong things.
 
In a political context this word usually means endorsement of an electorate, not a relative handful of party members.
.

In this case the party members are the relevant electorate though. The problem seems to be that the party members and the elected MPs are at odds since nobody actually knows what the wider electorate feels on the issue. Corbyn hasn't yet faced the electorate.

The received wisdom that the country doesn't want Corbyn seems to be based on pretty much nothing more than internal dissent from his MPs. Its entirely possible that these MPs are incorrect.
 
Erm, Cameron said that stuff the week after he had already resigned himself. So I don't think there was ever any "You go I stay" element to it. More like "I've done the right thing* you haven't"

*Doesnt make up for Cameron's wrong things.
Yes, I suppose that's right, but Corbyn was nevertheless well advised in not following Cameron's advice. Whatever happens, I hope that whoever becomes next leader of the Labour Party is elected by the Party as a whole, not only by MPs.
 
The NEC has ruled, apparently, that Corbyn is automatically on the ballot paper. That signals the beginning of the end of the Labour party. BBC
 
Splitter

ETA, you'd fit in with the future direction of Labour if Corbyn wins.
 
Last edited:
The problem is that Corbyn is merely Tory Lite. He will never win an election. We need a proper left of centre party.

Since that we no longer have Albania as a European example (they went soft), perhaps Labour should look to Eritrea for a pure example of true socialist governance.
 
"...in the 1976 Labour leadership contest, the candidates were Jim Callaghan, Tony Benn, Roy Jenkins, Tony Crosland, Denis Healey and Michael Foot."

How times change.

May, Leadsom, Gove, Crabb, Fox .... I shudder equally to wonder who the Labour candidates might be.
 
"...in the 1976 Labour leadership contest, the candidates were Jim Callaghan, Tony Benn, Roy Jenkins, Tony Crosland, Denis Healey and Michael Foot."

How times change.

May, Leadsom, Gove, Crabb, Fox .... I shudder equally to wonder who the Labour candidates might be.

Jeremy Corbyn and Angela Eagle?
 
Jeremy Corbyn and Angela Eagle?

I can't see any rule that would prevent others getting niminated.

Meanwhile I see the Lab NEC has introduced a 6-month rule for voting eligibility, unless you want to pay £25 for the privilege of immediate eligibility. That could cause a ruckus :)
 
I can't see any rule that would prevent others getting niminated.

Meanwhile I see the Lab NEC has introduced a 6-month rule for voting eligibility, unless you want to pay £25 for the privilege of immediate eligibility. That could cause a ruckus :)

All the counter-Corbyn voters who flooded in recently won't get to vote.
 
Depending which side you are on (pro or anti Corbyn) you could team up with a voter on the opposite side and save you £25 each.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom