Machiavelli
Philosopher
- Joined
- Sep 19, 2010
- Messages
- 5,844
Well I somewhat disagree with your final sentence, but I entirely agree that if any lawyers - in Italy, US or UK thought there was a good case to being civil action against Knox and/or Sollecito, they would be keen to take the work. And as you say, there are plenty who would be prepared to take it on either pro bono or (more likely) on a contingency fee (no-win-no-fee) basis.
So I therefore agree with you that Machiavelli's premise here is fundamentally flawed. Furthermore, his assertion that "lawyers know it's easy to win against Knox" smacks comically of a kid in the schoolyard puffing up his chest and saying "Yeah, I could beat you in a fight any day...... but erm I can't do it right now because something urgent has just come up"![]()
I can demonstrate that your assumptions are wrong about the Italian context even just by showing what the B/M verdict says, if you accept that this element of reality challenges your prejudicial view. Look how you assumed that B/M cannot really say those things, otherwise the press would say, people would do, etc. I suggest you climb down from your theories - no matter how beautifully consistent they look and how dear to you - and check them through an experiment, accepting that they may fall. The most beautiful theory and all common sense intuition can be blown down on falsification test.
You need to accept falsification tests. It's not about ego, it's about telling false from true.
What I find, well, curious ( won't say comical) is that your arguments, about what the text says others arguments about whether a civil action is possible, are based on avoidance of checking reality directly.