• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

South Carolina, tear down that flag!

Racism goes away when you stop making it an issue. My friends know this.

Right, just like how those good folks in the Emanuel AME church didn't make racism an issue, and - wait, no.

Okay, how about those kids in McKinney, TX? They ignored racism, and - whoops.

Well, John Crawford III wasn't thinking about racism, and the cops - hm...

Well...Trayvon Martin wasn't thinking about race when he was walking home from the sto...oh, right.

hmmm...
 
Right, just like how those good folks in the Emanuel AME church didn't make racism an issue, and - wait, no.

Okay, how about those kids in McKinney, TX? They ignored racism, and - whoops.

Well, John Crawford III wasn't thinking about racism, and the cops - hm...

Well...Trayvon Martin wasn't thinking about race when he was walking home from the sto...oh, right.

hmmm...
Best way to relive history is to repeat it. Personally, I like to move on. ;)
 
Would you set out Nazi-themed coasters to honor a German uncle?

As mentioned previously, I have worn Nazi themed hats while playing wargames. I would use Nazi themed coasters in similar circumstances if I had them, or my host had them.




You seem to be conflating the use of them while playing wargames with honoring ancestors. There's no connection, so your question doesn't actually have anything to do with any previous topic. Just so it is clear, I wouldn't use the Confederate coasters to honor my Confederate ancestor either. I would use the Confederate coasters because it goes with the theme of the game.
 
That's easy for a white guy to do. Minorities, however, are victims of racism and can't simply wish it away or ignore it.
I really hate to clue you in but, some of the worst racist are not white. By far, the two most racist people I know are black.

As soon as you realize this the sooner you will understand the problem. So, what sheltered little neighborhood did you grow up in?
 
It's not always that clear cut. Making this symbol a clear cut symbol of racism is going to do more harm then good. This is why I say, It has more meanings then the knee-jerk reaction it's getting now. Understand?

It is pretty clear cut though. At least for millions of blacks.
 
It's not always that clear cut. Making this symbol a clear cut symbol of racism is going to do more harm then good. This is why I say, It has more meanings then the knee-jerk reaction it's getting now. Understand?

I keep seeing the claim that the Confederate Battle Flag has more meanings, but no one has been able to provide one that didn't boil down to racism/racist attitudes. Perhaps you can provide one?
 
I keep seeing the claim that the Confederate Battle Flag has more meanings, but no one has been able to provide one that didn't boil down to racism/racist attitudes. Perhaps you can provide one?
OK. How about the election of Abraham Lincoln. Do some civil war lead up research and get back to me. ;)
 
Let's speculate, DGM. Suppose a neutral polling firm asks a thousand randomly selected people in the Confederate states what they think the flag stands for. I'll speculate <4 will mention Abe. You?
 
OK. How about the election of Abraham Lincoln. Do some civil war lead up research and get back to me. ;)
I'm not supporting your claim for you. You claim that the Confederate Battle Flag has at least one meaning that doesn't boil down to racism, so I'm asking you to support that claim. And frankly, given that slavery featured prominently in the lead up to the civil war, I can't see how this fits your claim.
 
Last edited:
I'm not supporting your claim for you. You claim that the Confederate Battle Flag has at least one meaning that doesn't boil down to racism, so I'm asking you to support that claim. And frankly, given that slavery featured prominently in the lead up to the civil war, I can't see how this fits your claim.

Yes it was a predominate feature leading to the civil war. It was not the straw that broke the camels back. It was also not what made the war last as long as it did.
 
Yes it was a predominate feature leading to the civil war. It was not the straw that broke the camels back. It was also not what made the war last as long as it did.

You're about to engage in historical revisionism, aren't you? Like the Confederate flag bearing Prohibition rum-runners from earlier in the thread?
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom