• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greeks vote to reject incumbants, austerity

Your summary made it sound like the Greeks hid some dusted files in a cellar. You omitted the crux, which couldn't be further from that picture.
I apologize for not predicting that you would mistake a single point plucked from a documentary for a summary of the entire docu. :rolleyes:

And I'm not sure if "most people" are aware of the interesting career Draghi had in connection to these events.
That could well be. But was really very much beside the point I was trying to make.
 
I don't know how the ministry works internally, but annual tax returns can only be submitted through an internet portal so I presume they're processed electronically on receipt. If you can't do it yourself then you pay €50 or so to a local accountant to do the job, which drives me nuts as the office gets clogged with elderly Greeks using it for a gossip-fest. ...

Ok, thanks, that sounds like they may have come a long way since the late 90s in terms of computerization and networking of the fiscal administration.
(That was more than 15 years ago - like 2 full generations of such software systems ago)
 
I apologize for not predicting that you would mistake a single point plucked from a documentary for a summary of the entire docu. :rolleyes:.


I merely added what I knew was the main point of that story, assuming that it wasn't in the documentary because you didn't mention it. Apologies for trying to advance the understanding of everybody interested in the topic and hurting your feelings over it, Mimöschen. ;)
 
I'm not asking you to trust me.



That's a pointless tautology which tells us nothing of use.



But without knowing what those controls are (and the source gives no indication), then we don't know what's illegal and what isn't, do we? This does not seem very hard.



Except that this claim isn't supported by any reliable evidence.

I had hoped that this would answer questions. Informative but it did not
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tens-capital-flow-checks-to-catch-tax-dodgers
 
Yep, sort of, but remember where we came from: You had expressed the hope, or expectation, that someone more "expert" would become fimi. I asked what you consider to be an "expert". The qualities of a, let's say, "non-academic" economist ... I am not sure how you determine them; I proposed that a good minister needs not be an expert in the field, but a good manager and communicator. So why did you look forward to an "expert", and how do you detect expertdom? You proposed that, because of your Argentine experienced, I would "have to trust" you that you just know an expert when you see one.
I responded what I really don't have to trust you on that - which you then agreed with.

Confused?
Good! :D

Now I get it!

I'm saying this team don't look good for me and I think I could tell if they chose better.

For me the mifi -as you called the office- has to be someone coming from the real economy, not from university halls or from politics.

As an example, on the risk of being monothematic, or worse, to be regarded a one-trick pony, Argentine 1989 hyperinflation was not only caused by the expansion of the monetary offer like most high inflations or every hyperinflation, but also because of monetary demand plummeted because of the people's expectations: the president wanted to keep the next presidency for their political party and seeing they couldn't do well with the economy, they decided to move up the date of elections so we went to elect new president in March for his inauguration to be in December. Of course, the "populist" candidate from the opposition won: the feared political boss who promised everything to the masses (like more jobs, better salaries, houses, education and health services) -I feared him too!- and told the mid-classes that he was going to be serious, which was taken as a lame attempt to gain votes from anywhere. As a result of the economic turmoil and the months to come until the elected "monster" took office, expectations changed, inflation escalated, the government didn't know what to do but to print fresh money to pay the bills, and everything became a nightmare. By the last days of June the president announced he would resign on July 9th -Independence Day- and the elected president would take office earlier. Inflation rocketed. Only the first week of July the prices rose some 80%.

And the day came, and the "monster" recited the constitutional oath, and he appointed his minister of economy: the CEO of an exporting corporation regarded as a symbol of the most conservative Argentine oligarchy. Bad expectations deflated at once, monetary demand suddenly reappeared, the dollar stopped rocketing and inflation stopped cold. It was like now a change of expectations got the Greeks to take their euros from their mattresses and cans and go to the shops and spend in staples and a few unnecessary items.

I'm not saying it is that simple. The immediate story of Argentina following that says it isn't -we had two short hyperinflation fits during next December and January and during March 1990 (my personal story belongs in fact to the latter period -it kept me wondering "what was I doing eating rice with tuna in the middle of the Winter?"-).

Believe me that, as a general rule, I am a person who doesn't pay attention to looks as I consider them to be mostly irrelevant. But when I see the new Greek mifi and how he looks "como pollo mojado" (like a chicken under the rain) when compared with his foreign colleagues, I tell to myself, this is not what you need to inspire trust in this conjuncture. What did they say? Something like Ceasar's wife besides being "it" she also must seem to be "it".

is this correct English? If so, it took me 20 years to learn it.
 
So funny (my bolding):

"Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Council, says the Greek crisis is a matter that affects the entire EU.

We have a Grexit scenario, prepared in detail, he reveals.
Thumping the table, Juncker demands to know how Greek officials dared to call the EC terrorists. Greece didn’t manage to supply a detailed reform plan tonight, but they need to do it fast"

J-C J ... has it occurred to you that they have less to lose than you (all)?
 
Yes, interesting. I'll be looking for a live feed with English translation, as my Greek is pretty hopeless for such complex matters.


Should be somewhere around here or there 9:30 am Brussels time, but I don't know if there will be translation.

The EP website which I navigated for the first time right now is almost as kafkaesque as the UN website... ;)
 
Last edited:
Thumping the table, Juncker demands to know how Greek officials dared to call the EC terrorists.


Varoufakis didn't call the EC terrorists, btw. He said the measurements of the ECB which forced the banks to close leading up to the referendum were intended to instill fear into the Greek people, which he said was the definition of terrorism. All pre$$titutes reported it in the distorted way and all bigwigs like Juncker and Schulz parroted it. The echo chamber of Western propaganda in action.
 
Last edited:
Varoufakis didn't call the EC terrorists, btw. He said the measurements of the ECB which forced the banks to close leading up to the referendum were intended to instill fear into the Greek people, which he said was the definition of terrorism. All pre$$titutes reported it in the distorted way and all bigwigs like Juncker and Schulz parroted it. The echo chamber of Western propaganda in action.

When you see very well through an eye and very bad through the other you lose your ability to perceive the depth of everything that surrounds you. Then the sword stab in the film and the person resting on the Eiffel Tower begin to look real...
 
It's like some people think the Evil Bankers held a gun to Greece's head and made them borrow the money.

And lest we forget, the reason the Greek Government had to borrow the money was that they spent money like the proverbial drunken sailor.

I note the idea that Governments should reduce spending when they are livieng beyond their income seems absolutely shocking and horrible to some people.
 
When you see very well through an eye and very bad through the other you lose your ability to perceive the depth of everything that surrounds you. Then the sword stab in the film and the person resting on the Eiffel Tower begin to look real...


Yeah, for example if you made yourself believe that Captain America exists but the Evil Bankers don't. ;)
 
Yeah, for example if you made yourself believe that Captain America exists but the Evil Bankers don't. ;)

Exactly, none exists.

What is undoubted is that people play their own drums, like you and the bankers. The difference is: the bankers have much more money than you and can play vigorously. Hence, you and your friends start with "the telling of the tale". That is what Tsipras is going to do tomorrow morning and that's why I will say he will wonder "why didn't so many applauses translate into coffers full of euros?".

Greece should've left the euro years ago. That is a matter of common sense, aesthetics, ethics and education in economics, not an ideological stance. Common sense and education have no ideology, that's why some have tales to tell and tell and tell ... like the Duracell bunny ... because if they don't pedal the bicycle falls.
 
Neither a borrower nor a lender be, Do not forget: Stay out of debt; Think twice, and take this good advice from me, Guard that old solvency. There’s just one other thing you ought to do. To thine own self be true.
 
Los que no saben guardar _____ |Those ones who don't know how to save
son pobres aunque trabajen,|Are poor no matter they work,
nunca por más que se atajen|Never, even if they brace themselves,
se librarán del cimbrón.|They'll escape the impact.
Al que nace barrigón | Those who are born with big bellies, es al ñudo que lo fajen. | It's useless to have them swaddled.

Martín Fierro (1872)
 
Last edited:
And lest we forget, the reason the Greek Government had to borrow the money was that they spent money like the proverbial drunken sailor.

That's an unfair slander against drunken sailors everywhere. :mad: :alc:
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom