• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cold War II. Russia to play next

It takes a special kind of indoctrination to buy into the notion that the "we" are the "good guys" fighting nobly against the swarthy other.

And how coincidental that, of all places these people could live, they just happen to live in the country that is the "good guy". And even in the one that is the real "good guy", not the fake "good guy" that the Russians mistakenly think their country is.
 
Any day now one of the aircraft that keeps testing our air defences will push a bit too far and it will get shot down by an RAF Typhoon.
Then there will be some fun.
 
Maybe he is afraid Sweden will send a military force to help the Ukranians and get payback for Poltova.....

Unlikely. Ukrainians are reportedly already helped with military support by the US, UK, Poland, Germany and Russia. A country more or less isn't going to make much of a difference.
 
Any day now one of the aircraft that keeps testing our air defences will push a bit too far and it will get shot down by an RAF Typhoon.
Then there will be some fun.

I doubt it. These kinds of visits have been commonplace throughout the Cold War, without any "fun" ever occurring. Even in cases where two nuclear powers have had problematic encounters between aircraft during these visits, it hasn't escalated into "fun".
 
But back then the rules were known by both sides it was part of 'the game' Just like our encounters with Soviet ships. Now I am not so sure the Russians are playing by any rules.
 
Probably because invading Ukraine is something a "peace-loving" Putin would do, but a peace-loving Putin would not.

I think you missed the point about "notions of the just and the right really don't factor into the equation" by bit above, but even so, in the part of Ukraine that Russia invaded (Crimea) there's been peace, whilst in the part of Ukraine invaded by the new Western-backed Ukrainian regime (Donbass) there hasn't been much peace.
 
The question is rather, why would you think Putin is "peace-loving"?

It's curious that you pick up that, rather than commenting on the threat to Sweden.

After all, if the Swedes decide that they'd like to join NATO, surely that's up to them?

And, it's possible that threatening them, with the sabre-rattling, could push them towards a more pro-NATO stance, don't you think?
 
It's curious that you pick up that, rather than commenting on the threat to Sweden.

As in "I'm going to ignore what you said and pretend you were arguing something else instead"?

After all, if the Swedes decide that they'd like to join NATO, surely that's up to them?

Do the Swedes like to join NATO? As far as I know there's about 40% in favour and 40% opposed.

And, it's possible that threatening them, with the sabre-rattling, could push them towards a more pro-NATO stance, don't you think?

Who knows.
 
I think you missed the point about "notions of the just and the right really don't factor into the equation" by bit above, but even so, in the part of Ukraine that Russia invaded (Crimea) there's been peace, whilst in the part of Ukraine invaded by the new Western-backed Ukrainian regime (Donbass) there hasn't been much peace.


That is so stupid I don;t know where to start.

It ;s like saying "if we just let Bank Robbers rob banks,and don;t try to stop them,there would be no violence".
 
It was a freaking joke ,guy.

I know, but it also implicitly framed the conflict as "the Ukrainians vs the Russians" rather than "Ukrainians supported by the West vs Ukrainians supported by Russia", which I corrected in my response.
 
But back then the rules were known by both sides it was part of 'the game' Just like our encounters with Soviet ships. Now I am not so sure the Russians are playing by any rules.

Ooh. Good point. Now I'm wondering if the current generation of NATO pilots are playing by the old Cold War rules either. I mean, they may not know any better.
 
I think you missed the point about "notions of the just and the right really don't factor into the equation" by bit above, but even so, in the part of Ukraine that Russia invaded (Crimea) there's been peace, whilst in the part of Ukraine invaded by the new Western-backed Ukrainian regime (Donbass) there hasn't been much peace.

At least it can be said of Russia's fifth columnists today that they are not Stalinists, only Putinists.

ETA: Video related
 
Last edited:
Ooh. Good point. Now I'm wondering if the current generation of NATO pilots are playing by the old Cold War rules either. I mean, they may not know any better.

IIRC, in 1983 an accidental nuclear exchange was narrowly avoided by a Soviet soldier against the directions that applied at the time. Let's hope the soldiers themselves keep using their common sense even if the big guys (both NATO and Russia) have long lost theirs.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom