Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Dec 8, 2009
- Messages
- 12,981
degradation of DNA
I am very busy at the moment, but this is very much on the right track. UV light (from the sun, for example) is damaging, and nucleases (enzymes that degrade nucleic acids) are a problem, which is probably why feces are not a good source of DNA. Chapter 3 in Jason Gilder's Ph.D. thesis would be a good place to start.
acbytesla,It's too bad Chris isn't around. I'd bet he would reference some stufdy. My bet is that under the right or wrong conditions DNA might deteriorate in hours, maybe even minutes and in different conditions last thousands of years. I'm sure light, oxygen or countless other elements as well,as other organic material would be contributing factors.
I am very busy at the moment, but this is very much on the right track. UV light (from the sun, for example) is damaging, and nucleases (enzymes that degrade nucleic acids) are a problem, which is probably why feces are not a good source of DNA. Chapter 3 in Jason Gilder's Ph.D. thesis would be a good place to start.
don't talk crap