• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Man with concealed carry license stops gunman

If only there was one more gun law gangbangers would suddenly decide to stop leaving guns laying around the house!


But Yay!

The blind CCW pig found the occasional truffle. I know you guys were upset that Joseph Robert Wilcox didn't have a chance to be a CCW hero, so now you can celebrate!

Have there been 24 verifiable successful DGUs in the US this year?

More guns!
The low end of estimates is 300,000 DGUs per year, so there's been at least 100,000 so far.
 
I'm just glad you guys have a successful CCW use to hang your hats on. A real hero for you guys! Everybody wins!



When concrete examples of DGU matches the numbers of accidents, lemme know.

When folks come to the realization that the most successful DGU's don't result in gunfire or injuries or death, maybe the conversation will be reality based instead of emotionally based.
 
I don't do prophesy, so I won't try to guess how many people out there are looking at the "hero" and wondering if there's a chance for them to repeat that event.

Can you at least admit that there is a percentage of the gun owner demographic that reads a news account of an incident like this and has the reaction of relief that no one lost their life, and anger that other humans feel empowered to commit violent acts against helpless victims?
 
On a related note:


This 1-Year-Old Is Already the 24th U.S. Child Killed by Accidental Gun Violence in 2015




But Yay!

The blind CCW pig found the occasional truffle. I know you guys were upset that Joseph Robert Wilcox didn't have a chance to be a CCW hero, so now you can celebrate!

Have there been 24 verifiable successful DGUs in the US this year?

More guns!

You know if you want to talk about that incident feel free to start a thread about it, but i don't see what it has to do with this one.

No input on the actual situation in the op?
 
When folks come to the realization that the most successful DGU's don't result in gunfire or injuries or death, maybe the conversation will be reality based instead of emotionally based.
The only time I saw a DGU it was resolved with no shots fired and the prep arrested. When I say that I rarely carry a gun even though I was involved I get openly mocked from people on both sides of the argument, even on this forum.

Ranb
 
And it would be nice of people didn't rob, kill or rape, but we have to work within the real world not the world we wish existed.

What I find funny is people which keep saying anecdotes are not the singular or plural of evidence suddenly start as to pretend that 1 man stopping a gunman with a gun is evidence of anything.

And yet other part of the world get away with not having gun AND not having more crime than the US.

Sigh.

So you are admitting indirectly that the average American is more amoral and lawless than other part of the world ?

The debate will go nowhere.
 
Can you at least admit that there is a percentage of the gun owner demographic that reads a news account of an incident like this and has the reaction of relief that no one lost their life, and anger that other humans feel empowered to commit violent acts against helpless victims?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the overwhelming majority of gun owners has the reaction that you describe above.
 
I saw no glee in the OP. BStrong is one our members who can speak on gun related issues without making various reckless accusations or jumping off the deep end.


That is how you are behaving right now.


In this thread you're one closest to suggesting this is true at all.

Ranb

Ranb; you know me personally now, so you know this is sincere:

I apologize fellas. I was drinking a little last night and wasn't thinking clearly.

I am glad that the bad guy was greased and no one was hurt/killed by him. I am just sick of bad guys having easy access to guns in the first place, that's all. Related: I am sick of stories of guns left out where kids can kill themselves (and others) with them. And it doesn't appear there is a reaistic solution to either.

Frustration. It's a difficult topic.
 
I'm glad that a citizen stepped forward to prevent a violent crime. I'd be just as glad if he did it with a brick or a slingshot. Focusing on the gun sort of taints the heroism of it. Because if we believe that a gun has the power to make one man a hero, we must accept that it also has the power to make another man a monster.
 
Can you at least admit that there is a percentage of the gun owner demographic that reads a news account of an incident like this and has the reaction of relief that no one lost their life, and anger that other humans feel empowered to commit violent acts against helpless victims?

Did I ever deny that? I just think that fools are in the majority in any demographic.
 
You can argue over these sort of one-off examples endlessly, but the math is simple: guns solve crime.
 
More "one-offs" that don't mean a thing...

4.19.15 Tampa FL, Store clerk shoots at man to foil robbery http://http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/tampa-store-clerk-shoots-at-man-to-foil-robbery/2226148

4.7.15 Albany GA, Pizza deliveryman fights off robberhttp://www.walb.com/story/28741917/douglas-man-pulls-his-own-gun-on-would-be-robber

3.28.15 Chattanooga TN Car Dealer kills armed robberhttp://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/mar/28/shots-killed-robber-justifiable/295771/

3.18.15 Tulsa OK, 84 year old man protects wife from violent robber http://www.newson6.com/story/28557994/84-year-old-man-sends-tulsa-robber-running-in-fear

3.22.15 Philadelphia PA, Possible barbershop massacre averted http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/03/22/man-shot-dead-inside-west-philadelphia-barbershop/

2.11.15 North Branch Township MI, 11 year old girl with shotgun scares off home invader. http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/02/02/11-year-old-girl-scares-off-burglar-with-shotgun/

12.12.14 Jefferson County CO, Intruder shot after entering house through doggie door. http://kdvr.com/2014/12/15/deputies-intruder-shot-by-jeffco-homeowner-came-into-house-through-doggy-door/

3 out of 7 resolved without firing a shot.
 
Last edited:
I'm glad that a citizen stepped forward to prevent a violent crime. I'd be just as glad if he did it with a brick or a slingshot. Focusing on the gun sort of taints the heroism of it. Because if we believe that a gun has the power to make one man a hero, we must accept that it also has the power to make another man a monster.

If this guy felt he could go against someone armed with a gun with a slingshot, i doubt he would carry a gun.
 
Luckily my real world doesn't include an abundance of guns nor does it include easy access to firearms... and I like to keep it that way. For some inexplicable reason I, and those around me, seem to be facing much less risk of being victims of gun violence and the seemingly corresponding higher murder rate.
I get truly tired of the constant causal oversimplification that gets expressed here (sometimes with a generous portion of the psychologist's fallacy to boot).



What I find funny is people which keep saying anecdotes are not the singular or plural of evidence suddenly start as to pretend that 1 man stopping a gunman with a gun is evidence of anything.
Yet when it comes to guns, minds are set and any evidence gets ignored; in this case, there is one single event to put a face on to the literally hundreds of thousands of DGU's that occur every year in this country. You know this, yet still persist on blaming guns and holding your country as superior based on emotion and faulty logic.


The debate will go nowhere.
Not with your attitude, that's for sure.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom