I've already said I HAVE experienced computers waking up for random bangs and noises, with no direct interaction on the computer itself. I've gone into a room after an hour or two to find my computer awake, though no one has been in there (unless the cops are breaking into my place without me knowing it too...) One person experiencing one thing and another something else doesn't prove very much, except perhaps that you live in a more structurally sound building than me.
No - you're merely mentioning events in the past that you have put down to "random bangs and noises". This is a totally unscientific approach to trying to define the issue properly (not to mention the fact that there might have been other processes automatically starting on your computer, e.g. disc defragmentation or clutter cleaning, that might have woken your computer from sleep).
There's a good way to test this all out which has sufficient scientific rigour as to make it acceptable as evidence. Your way is not that way. The good way is to explicitly check by getting a laptop with a mouse, putting the mouse onto a normal surface, getting the laptop into sleep mode, then going next door and banging doors as hard as you possibly can (or stamp on the floor, or shout, or whatever).
If, when you come back in, the computer has awoken (and you can be sure that this was not due to e.g. a process starting), then this would be evidence that slamming doors, jumping on the floor, etc would be sufficient to make the mouse move enough to wake a computer. If, when you come back in, the computer is still asleep, then this would be evidence that slamming doors, jumping on the floor etc would not be sufficient.
There was evidence from ENCASE about the internet connection; this is mentioned but not detailed in the report.
I know. My point is that the ENCASE info would have been able to explicitly show that the internet activity was file sharing activity. I don't think that ENCASE showed this.
Yes, Milani does claim a specific webpage was opened, but he gives no evidence for it beyond that claim. I'm dubious. I think if there were evidence of a webpage being opened he would have included it.
I don't think he felt it was all that relevant, given that the important part here is that there was human interaction with the laptop at that time. And I think it would be extremely odd - not to mention extremely unprofessional to the point of misconduct - for him to make specific reference to a webpage if he did not have evidence that a webpage had been accessed. We would need to see the ISP logs for that. We know he's seen them.
His use of the word "certainty" only means the computer definitely woke up at that time, about which there's no argument;
No. It's absolutely clear that he used the term "access" to mean physical access by a person. Otherwise there would be no value to this evidence at all.
even if it didn't, I still wouldn't accept a claim of "certainty" without evidence.
There IS evidence. It's right there in the report.
I wonder if you'd be as accepting if a prosecution expert claimed to be certain about something...
If it was something about which I also had decent knowledge levels, and where there was good evidence to support the case, then of course I would. I'm very concerned about your insinuation here though. Are you seriously suggesting that either a) I have a blind deference to authority, or (more worryingly still) b) I am automatically predisposed to believing defence experts over prosecution experts (driven, I'm presuming, from a belief in Knox's/Sollecito's innocence)? If you think that I might think in this way, then I'm very disappointed.