katy_did
Master Poster
- Joined
- Feb 4, 2010
- Messages
- 2,219
I disagree. I think the police/PM truly thought they'd worked it all out before 9pm on the 5th. I think they'd figured out (in their own minds) that Knox had gone to meet up with Lumumba on the might of the murder (from knowing Knox's/Lumumba's phone communications around 8-9pm on the night of the murder). They also "knew" that the break-in was staged, and this pointed (in their minds) exclusively to Knox as the only person who would have had an incentive to commit such a staging. And they had, set against that, Knox and Sollecito telling them that they'd spent the whole evening/night in Sollecito's apartment.
I think therefore that the police "knew" that both Knox and Sollecito had been lying to them about them both being in Sollecito's apartment all evening. In my opinion, the police probably thought at this point that only Knox (and not Sollecito) had been directly involved in the murder itself (alongside Lumumba), and that Sollecito was lying to protect Knox. Perhaps they thought that Sollecito had also participated in the mythical post-murder clean-up, again out of some desire to protect and help Knox.
In my view, therefore, I think the police (with the knowledge of the PM) put in place a definite plan with a desired set of outcomes. I think they planned to bring in Sollecito alone, and get him to admit the "truth" - that in fact Knox had left his apartment on the night of the murder, and that he had been lying about this to protect her. I think they then planned to send out their lights-and-sirens squad to pick up Knox in a very public show of force and competence (the irony!). Knox would then be confronted with Sollecito's change of story, plus the text exchange with Lumumba. Knox would then "buckle" in turn, and "tell the police what they already knew to be the truth".
Incidentally, when the police saw that Knox's text to Lumumba read as "see you later" - something they would only have been able to see from actually seeing Knox's or Lumumba's handsets (the phone records would not have recorded the actual contents of texts), they were elated, since this only appeared to confirm their theory. They were not totally certain they knew "the truth"......
A reasonable enough theory, but I don't think there's anything more to support it than there is to support the theory they didn't really have any clear idea of what had happened, were getting a bit desperate under all the pressure, and stumbled their way into thinking they'd "cracked the case" that night. Just a night or two earlier they were dragging Hicham Khiri out of bed at 2 in the morning to interrogate him, after all, so it seems reasonable to assume they had no firm theory of what happened at that stage. And if they only thought Sollecito was covering for Amanda leaving the apartment, why did they arrest him for murder too?
I think the reason they dragged Sollecito in was the intercepted conversation about him carrying a knife. That's probably why they thought he was involved as well, even though Amanda didn't place him at the scene (that and the shoes). Frankly I think if they'd stopped to carefully consider their theory, rather than bungling their way into it that night, they'd probably have come up with a better one! For example, it would've been very easy to check what the text message exchange with Lumumba was about without jumping to the conclusion it was the precursor to murder.
Last edited: