acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Dec 14, 2012
- Messages
- 41,014
There is a part of me that believes that some or one of the authorities in Italy actually planted or destroyed evidence. I'm sure that they did this because they genuinely thought that Knox was guilty.
But I really want to put aside that thought and review this farce as if the actions of the authorities were done in good faith. Because I can't or don't want to think that someone would actually seek to put people in prison that they know to be innocent and who had no hint of criminal activity in their past.
I can truthfully understand why the authorities suspected Amanda and Raffaele's involvement at the beginning and why the became convinced of their guilt. I can also see why they continued to be convinced of their guilt.
It's clear that they made mistakes. It's also fair to expect people to make honest mistakes. I can't help but wonder if it was the honest mistakes that caused the authorities to get locked in on the two innocents. That said, I think human failings, not honest mistakes was the biggest problem with this legal disaster.
For example, I think the biggest mistake the authorities made was the result of one of the most positive a destructive trait, pride. It was pride that made them take a bow and declare the "case closed" and it was pride that kept them from admitting they made a mistake.
They made many other mistakes as well, but I think that was the worst. If they had just arrested them they would have been able to release the kids after it was clear that the shoe prints did not match. That I think was their 2nd biggest mistake. That confirmed their belief that Amanda and Raffaele were guilty. Otherwise, I think they would have released A&R when they let Patrick go. Their third biggest mistake was not to own up to their mistakeep after they found out that the shoe prints belonged to Rudy and not Raffaele. This led to the bra clasp DNA which they refused to believe was possibly caused by contamination.
I wonder if they would have released Amanda and Raffaele if they hadn't discovered the DNA on the bra clasp? Or would they have continued the case with the knife and the weak statements? I actually think they still would have. That they were so afraid of looking like fools that they would stubbornly have gone forward.
But I really want to put aside that thought and review this farce as if the actions of the authorities were done in good faith. Because I can't or don't want to think that someone would actually seek to put people in prison that they know to be innocent and who had no hint of criminal activity in their past.
I can truthfully understand why the authorities suspected Amanda and Raffaele's involvement at the beginning and why the became convinced of their guilt. I can also see why they continued to be convinced of their guilt.
It's clear that they made mistakes. It's also fair to expect people to make honest mistakes. I can't help but wonder if it was the honest mistakes that caused the authorities to get locked in on the two innocents. That said, I think human failings, not honest mistakes was the biggest problem with this legal disaster.
For example, I think the biggest mistake the authorities made was the result of one of the most positive a destructive trait, pride. It was pride that made them take a bow and declare the "case closed" and it was pride that kept them from admitting they made a mistake.
They made many other mistakes as well, but I think that was the worst. If they had just arrested them they would have been able to release the kids after it was clear that the shoe prints did not match. That I think was their 2nd biggest mistake. That confirmed their belief that Amanda and Raffaele were guilty. Otherwise, I think they would have released A&R when they let Patrick go. Their third biggest mistake was not to own up to their mistakeep after they found out that the shoe prints belonged to Rudy and not Raffaele. This led to the bra clasp DNA which they refused to believe was possibly caused by contamination.
I wonder if they would have released Amanda and Raffaele if they hadn't discovered the DNA on the bra clasp? Or would they have continued the case with the knife and the weak statements? I actually think they still would have. That they were so afraid of looking like fools that they would stubbornly have gone forward.
