Gawdzilla Sama
TImeToSweepTheLeg
This is a fallacy.
It's not my fallus.
This is a fallacy.
Okay, I'm glad we have that much common ground at least. Now why can't you go from "I feel compassion for that animal being tortured for no reason" to "It's immoral what's being done to that animal"?
Might you try to stop the person from doing it? Might you advocate to others that they shouldn't do it either? Might you support laws meant to reduce this kind of thing? Might you feel a sense of injustice, anger, etc on observing it?
If "yes" to most of the above, then for all practical purposes isn't it fair to say you consider it to be "wrong"?
And you seemed to take as a presumption that morality has nothing to say about how we treat other species, but does have something to say about how we treat humans. On what grounds do you justify this?
"Wrong" and "morally wrong" are two different things. I think there are good reasons to criminalize animal cruelty, but my reasons are based on implicit assumptions about democracy and capitalism built into my psyche. I know of no objective reason why such social structures are morally necessary.
Incorrect. I don't presume there to be an objective morality at all.
I would say that the only moral reason to treat animals well is that it helps condition the mind to treat other people well.
That we are biologically capable of obtaining nutrients from animal products has no moral dimension that I am aware of. Obligate carnivores have a case, but not omnivores.
We are natural omnivores. I'm fine with that.
But, as I said, I'm fine with being an omnivore. And people who don't like that can bleed to death, if they do it quietly. And the meat isn't wasted.
When we are talking farming, the more fear and pain an animal suffers, the worse it's meat is, so treating them well means that they will produce better meat.
Except for the ones who don't. Going on 9 years of veganism and I'm not dead yet. Cain and mumblethrax have been vegan longer than I have, and they seem very much not dead either.That's the problem with veganism. Humans are not natural omnivores; they are obligate omnivores. There are essential nutrients that are difficult to obtain from non-animals sources; and one, B12, is impossible to obtain without the aid of modern technology (unless you really like the idea of eating large amounts of herbivore feces). Human beings require animal products to survive.
The fact that you had to qualify "suffering" with "human" hints at the answer to this question: you should care because cats are capable of suffering, and there's no reason to discount their suffering just because they're cats. To do so is to be complicit in a long-standing and irrational prejudice.Again, my question. Why should we care? Why should these children be punished, if at all? It's not like Quattro belonged to anyone, so he wasn't even anyone's property. It's not like these boys caused any human suffering, and there's no evidence they'll move on to humans, so why not let them run free? It's just a cat, so why do they need psychiatric counseling?
That's far from being certain.If modern technology makes it easier for people to become vegan and minimize the harm they cause to others, that would be an argument for veganism, not against it.
Except for the ones who don't. Going on 9 years of veganism and I'm not dead yet. Cain and mumblethrax have been vegan longer than I have, and they seem very much not dead either.
If modern technology makes it easier for people to become vegan and minimize the harm they cause to others, that would be an argument for veganism, not against it.
All other things being equal, it's better to be killed painlessly than tormented beforehand.As I said, I don't want livestock animals to be tortured, and I don't want any part of them to go to waste. They give their lives to sustain us, the least we can do is treat them well while they're alive.
Best argument I found yet:Animal Cruelty - Why should we care?
I would suggest that a culture that views its animals in that type of disrespectful, arrogant, manipulative standpoint will view its citizens the same way...and other cultures" Joel Salatin
I would say that the only moral reason to treat animals well is that it helps condition the mind to treat other people well.
Yeah. What goes around, comes around.
If modern technology makes it easier for people to become vegan and minimize the harm they cause to others, that would be an argument for veganism, not against it.
All other things being equal, it's better to be killed painlessly than tormented beforehand.
All other things being equal, if we aim to minimize the harm we cause to animals in all the areas where its reasonable and easy to do so, then reducing dependence on animal products to the point of eliminating animal products entirely -- veganism, animal liberation -- is the logical end and most straight-forward way to satisfy that objective.
It seems to me that veganism and vegetarianism follow from the animal welfarist views that you already hold.