Not sure what the PhD reference means Stefanoni does not have a PhD.
These labs do predominantly medical molecular biology, but not forensics. Has Stefanoni any qualification in forensic science? What training has she undergone to work a crime scene?
This is one is another that I don’t know where you got it from; another made up statement. Definitely Patrizia Stefanoni has a PhD. I never read her curriculum vitae personally, but I know she worked eight years as an assistant professor at the University of Naples, and you don’t work as an assistant professor if you are not related to a PhD program. I also know she worked with Cortese and Salvatore and also as a biologist at the University Policlinico of Naples. Then she became a chief executive of the Scientific Police in Rome. She is the author of scientific publications, among which the most successful article of the year in genetic science. I am rather sure she has a PhD. I don’t see why should assume she hasn’t.
You ask what specific training to work on a crime scene: I don't know. But I can't reasonably accept the statement that Stefanoni doesn't have a PhD or that she is not a serious scientist.
Especially not from people who praise Vecchiotti, who is obviously guilty of gross professional wrongdoing.
Again an interesting point. Mach says that the prosecution having presented their case, the burden of proof is on the defence to dismantle the prosecution case. If the defence make a positive argument for innocence separate from opposing the prosecution case they have a very high standard to reach.
This is clearly what has happened, and so Mach as ever is right about the Italian system. This is where the conflict arises, in common law systems if two reasonable scenarios are presented the defence case has to be chosen, and the prosecution have to prove their case. In Italy the defence needs to disprove the prosecution case. (...)
I think you partly misunderstood the point. It is not correct to just say "the prosecution having presented their case", "the burden of proof is on the defense". In fact, there is no difference in principle between common law and civil law system in that the burden of proof is about the accusation thesis. There is no question on this. It is not enough for the prosecution to just "present" their case, they need to bring in what the system would considers legal evidence to their thesis.
The point is that the prosecution on this case did not just present, but actually brought solid evidence.
This is the part that you missed, that you may fail to acknowledge.
When the prosecution case is not just presented bu already proven, supported by solid evidence, and if the evidence is unchallenged, the case is solid and sound and closed.
Now, if the defence wants to bring their own defensive argument, and if they want to do that
without challenging the evidence directly, that means: the building of a new argument separete from opposing the prosecution case, such defensive argument - legally called "an alibi" - in order to be effective it must respond to a very high standard, it cannot sustain uncertainities.