lonepinealex
Muse
Raffaele's Italian specialist did an Italian job.
What does that mean? What I want to know is - if the gastric emptying evidence is such a slam-dunk, presumably the defence has used it? If not, why not?
Raffaele's Italian specialist did an Italian job.
I don't like to imagine ISC will confirm the convictions. but suppose ISC does confirm, And ECHR does find in favor of Amanda and Raf. What happens to the civi judgement? When does that get paid, and would Raf have to sue for a clawback?
lonepinealex,Did either of the defendants bring up the gastric evidence in any of the trials or in their appeals?
lonepinealex,
The prosecution changed the TOD in the trial of first instance, moving it later by at least an hour in their closing remarks. I think that this caught the defense off-guard. My recollection is that at least one of Raffaele's appeals did address this issue, and I wish that both defense teams had argued the point forcefully in Florence. Not just the stomach contents, but every objective piece of evidence independently points to an early TOD.
However, it is doubtful that Judge Nencini would have paid attention. He seems intent on taking his marching orders only from the SCC, and they have some very strange ideas about the TOD.
Yes, which is why I find it strange that the stomach contents stuff doesn't seem to be a big part of the new appeals, given that several people in this thread find it such compelling proof of evidence. Why would the defence not push that if it's so good?
I don’t believe it mattered what arguments the defense offered to Judge Nencini. He turned up additional exculpatory evidence, but convicted the pair anyway. Based on a conversation I had with someone who speaks Italian, I think Nencini was not very precise but still favored a late TOD.Yes, which is why I find it strange that the stomach contents stuff doesn't seem to be a big part of the new appeals, given that several people in this thread find it such compelling proof of evidence. Why would the defence not push that if it's so good?
I don’t believe it mattered what arguments the defense offered to Judge Nencini. He turned up additional exculpatory evidence, but convicted the pair anyway. Based on a conversation I had with someone who speaks Italian, I think Nencini was not very precise but still favored a late TOD.
One point about the TOD arguments that should be stressed is that they exist independently of each other. For argument’s sake let us assume that there is a 20% chance that PI commenters are wrong about the decisiveness of the empty duodenum, wrong about the inference that the cell phones had left the house, and wrong about the inference that Meredith would have sent emails, called her mother, or done other activities after returning home. If so, then there is a 0.20^3 = 0.008 = 0.8% chance that Meredith’s TOD was late, not early.
Yes, which is why I find it strange that the stomach contents stuff doesn't seem to be a big part of the new appeals, given that several people in this thread find it such compelling proof of evidence. Why would the defence not push that if it's so good?
Sorry lonepinealex, it was late, I was thinking of defence autopsy specialist Introna. He simply did not research the gastric evidence.What does that mean? What I want to know is - if the gastric emptying evidence is such a slam-dunk, presumably the defence has used it? If not, why not?
I don’t believe it mattered what arguments the defense offered to Judge Nencini. He turned up additional exculpatory evidence, but convicted the pair anyway. Based on a conversation I had with someone who speaks Italian, I think Nencini was not very precise but still favored a late TOD.
One point about the TOD arguments that should be stressed is that they exist independently of each other. For argument’s sake let us assume that there is a 20% chance that PI commenters are wrong about the decisiveness of the empty duodenum, wrong about the inference that the cell phones had left the house, and wrong about the inference that Meredith would have sent emails, called her mother, or done other activities after returning home. If so, then there is a 0.20^3 = 0.008 = 0.8% chance that Meredith’s TOD was late, not early.
EDT
The numbers above are purely for the purposes of illustration.
Remember this platonov?I'm not sure I agree with you a 100% on your maths work there, halides1
Do you want to show your workings so that us less numerate types can follow the argument.
Or failing that add 25% or 187% to make it work.
EDT
The numbers above certainly provide a certain level of illustration.
lonepinealex,
The prosecution changed the TOD in the trial of first instance, moving it later by at least an hour in their closing remarks. I think that this caught the defense off-guard. My recollection is that at least one of Raffaele's appeals did address this issue, and I wish that both defense teams had argued the point forcefully in Florence. Not just the stomach contents, but every objective piece of evidence independently points to an early TOD.
However, it is doubtful that Judge Nencini would have paid attention. He seems intent on taking his marching orders only from the SCC, and they have some very strange ideas about the TOD.
Did either of the defendants bring up the gastric evidence in any of the trials or in their appeals?
platonov,I'm not sure I agree with you a 100% on your maths work there, halides1![]()
.RWVBWL said:I was just reading the translated testimony of Marco Chiacchiera at the ballerina stalkers site and something caught my eye.
I've seen so many guilters say: "There's no way Amanda had a shower on November 2, just look at the photo of her."
[qimg]http://media.komonews.com/images/080517_amanda_knox.jpg[/qimg]
Chiacchiera confirms she did have a shower although it's a little strange why he doesn't want to say how he knows.
Here's the testimony. I've removed the bizarre commentary from pseudo lawyer/doctor "CardiolMD" after every Q&A.
MC: However the faeces were in which of the two bathrooms?
MaCh: Of the bathrooms. Me, if I take a shower in a bathroom where there are faeces, instinctively I flush the toilet, in short.
MC: Yes, but the faeces were in the other bathroom.
MaCh: Yes, yes, I understood. However, in short, in some way it comes instinctively, no?, to flush the toilet? The fact is that ….
GCM: Excuse me, do you know how many bathrooms there were in the house?
MaCh: Two.
GCM: Two bathrooms. Excuse me, please. Do you know that a shower was taken?
MaCh: Yes.
GCM: How do you know?
MaCh: I know because it is a thing that I cannot, I believe, report because it was ….
GCM: But you checked…?
MaCh: I am trying to be very very careful.
Any guesses why this is top secret and he doesn't want to say?
Hmmmm,
interesting find MichaelB.
My guess?
It involves Rudy Guede's crap.
Guede might have been inside the flat when Amanda came home in the morning.
The front door was wide open when she came home.
She saw feces in Filomena+Laura's bathroom toilet after she took her shower.
When she came back with Raff, they had fallen farther and she did not see them, causing her to wonder if someone had been in the house when she was there, IIRC
If the feces were over 12 hours old,
why would they, by then crusty, fall farther downward in the short time that Amanda was at Raffaele's after her shower? I've seen the crime scene video, that ain't a lotta ****.
Maybe Rudy Guede came back after leaving The Domus nightclub and slept downstairs on Stefano's bed, that bedspread of his is the only 1 that is not made, out of all the boyz beds whom lived downstairs.
Kind of similar to up stairs,
Meredith's is the only bed messed up too.
Heck, Stefano's bed is the only one that has blood on it. Meredith's also.
Connected or coincidence?
I'd really like to read a transcript of the 7 hour long 1st interrogation
http://web.archive.org/web/20080117...t.com/2007/12/theres-non-name-to-be-done.html
that Rudy Guede had with PM Mignini, Judge Matteini and others when he was returned to Italy.
Why has this not been released?
What Top Secrets are they hiding that Rudy told them over 7 hours?
Sorry lonepinealex, it was late, I was thinking of defence autopsy specialist Introna. He simply did not research the gastric evidence.
In fact one has to work backwards. What we know is that Rudy was in the house when Meredith arrived home at 9pm, because there is no other way to interpret the forensics of the break in. Once the proof of the rock thrown from the car park is accepted, and this is defined by the shutter damage and glass impalement and so on, we know that this could not occur after Meredith arrived home.
Much is made of stress delaying digestion by guilters, and if this is correct, digestion ceased at 9pm. But the guilters use this stress to imply that it ceased when she was attacked by Amanda, to delay the TOD. In fact, the perfect logic is that digestion ceased at 9pm when Meredith found an intruder. This is the only way to interpret the autopsy. Meal commencement is variously described as 5 30, 6, or 6 30. In fact none of these times can be correct, because she had no stress until 9 pm, and therefore it is almost impossible she ate before 7 30pm. The research on gastric emptying is very easy to undertake, but I like the Mercy hospital study that stops after two hours, because if nothing has happened it is case closed, medical problems, which Meredith did not have.
http://mercymedicalcenter.chsli.org/gastric-empty-study
To summarise, it is best to assume she ate at 7 30, and digestion stopped when stressed by Rudy at 9, not Amanda much later.
It is also very common to be confronted with stomach emptying taking two to four hours, which gives the flexibilty needed by the prosecution. This is such a bare faced and wilfull nonsense it should never have gained traction. Stomach emptying never takes two hours to commence, but it does take two to four hours to be complete. If we think about this it would have been completely statistically normal for her stomach to be completely empty at 9 pm with a meal time of 7 pm. The converse, the stomach completely full, is near impossible.
The guilters tie themselves in knots, to the extent that they suggest the pizza was completely passed beyond the duodenum, while the desert was still in stomach. But in fact the pizza and desert were mixed and identifiable, comprising the 500 mil stomach contents.
Here is a post from RandyN who was an army pathologist I believe.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9679112&postcount=9084
There are whole lives and fortunes at stake. In my universe this neglect would be inconceivable, so I must leave it to the northern hemisphere to answer your question.Thanks for this, but I'm aware of the arguments. What I don't understand is why the defence isn't pushing, or even mentioning the gastric evidence.
There are whole lives and fortunes at stake. In my universe this neglect would be inconceivable, so I must leave it to the northern hemisphere to answer your question.
platonov,
You are pretty good at research. For the uninitiated, why don't you dig up the post[s?] where you accused me of mendacity. That way everyone can calculate the odds of my doing your homework for you.