Early on my view of the public portrait of the defendants in this case was influenced by my impressions of the Duke lacrosse case, and later by the Lindy Chamberlain case, which I know somewhat less well. The latter two cases were notable for how negatively the defendants were initially portrayed in the media. Here is what reporter Sharon Swanson
wrote after meeting the family of Collin Finnerty, one of the three DL players who were indicted: "I understand that good people can do awful things. I also know that awful things can happen to good people. And within those poles lie the facts in the Duke lacrosse case...No doubt the Finnertys have been somewhat prepped for dealing with reporters. Any good defense attorney would see to that. Was their house cleaner, more picked up than you might expect from a large family on a regular basis? Probably. Were the Finnertys on their best behavior? Most definitely. Yet, during my social work days, I have sat in interviews with couples who extolled their virtues as parents at great length while their toddler played behind them, unconsciously pretending to toke a joint. It’s tough to hide who you are for eight hours. If any clues as to the hidden natures of this family were there, I did not pick up on them. What I did observe, however, was a close family that sees themselves under siege by an enemy that has chosen to attack them for reasons they don’t fully understand." The entire article is worth reading, although it is interesting that the paper published a shorter article from Ms. Swanson the previous October, prior to the big shift in public opinion about the DL case in December of 2006.
Do the testimonials of their friends and family mean that it is impossible for Amanda and Raffaele to commit a horrific crime? No. Do positive testimonials make it more difficult for the prosecution to reach the BARD threshold than if negative information about their characters came to light instead? In my opinion, they should.
Chris, I'm always a fan of your posts. I guess I would disagree a smidge on this point, and perhaps its not really disagreeing at all, I just feel like saying it.
It's frustrating when people use generalizations about individuals. "Could good people do bad things?", isn't evidence. Amanda's character in particular, and Raf too from what I gather, guarantees they could not, did not, and would never commit this crime.
That's not proof either, but its a working premise. In theory, we say innocent until proven guilty. BUt it seems to me you have to have a reason to single one person out of a crowd and say, "maybe, lets discuss it".
It is the most horrific act of violence imaginable, and Mignini tried to hang the crime on the gentlest person/people one could ever run into. That's why the case ios such an obvious miscarriage of justice to me. It's not just false, it's farcical.
I've never met either of them, but I heard Amanda plead for her life. I saw her family and friends. I saw the lack of evidence.
These things in and of themselves, for me at least, aren't like some bolt from the blue, or some "aha" moment, as Mignini is so fond of proclaiming in the middle of his coercive interrogations. But more of a re-confirming feedback loop. The more you see, the more you know, in each of these areas, the more certain you/I/one is. They become mutually reinforcing, and "known" with greater certainty.
The evidence and the science, those things are fixed in stone. BUt our opinions are malleable and form over time.
The difference between someone who loops negatively, and solidifies their opinion of guilt, is that they must remain closed minded with respect to the evidence. They cannot withstand scrutiny of their views, lest their beliefs conflict with the reality.
So yes, the truth is the truth in countless ways, and a lie is a lie in countless more. But Amanda and Raf are real people, with real personalities, real proclivities, real characters. The mere suggestion they are any less then they are, is already too much. Without evidence, such conjecture is grossly unfair, and by definition, unfounded.