I believe Anglo provided a value for laptops back then when they were a little more expensive than now. So you theorize that he was just stealing computers to collect them?
You can't just set a value on a laptop Grinder. They vary from worthless to some real money. It all depends on the age, the brand, the processor, the RAM, the hard disk and the condition. I don't think Rudy was stealing laptops just to collect them. I don't even know if all those computers (not sure they were any or all of them were laptops besides the laptop from the law office) were stolen.
I'm sure that you can get a few Euros for a good laptop. But if you're a fence or an IT broker, you need to buy that laptop well below the current low wholesale value. You have just become a "stocking vendor". And since unlike jewelry, it is going to become less and less valuable for every day you own it.
So you HAVE to buy it cheap and move it quickly.
Let's say Grinder that you just stole a brand new top of the line laptop that sells for $1000 dollars. You can sell it to a fence who might give you $200 for it or hang on to it and try and get $500 for it yourself The broker or fence can't really buy it for more because tomorrow the manufacturer of that laptop might release a better laptop for $900 and then they are now selling your laptop new for $750 and the street value of that stolen laptop all of a sudden drops to $375. The thief taking a little longer to sell on his own still gets more money for it than if he had sold it to a fence.
I used to own a Jetta and had about 5 stereos stolen out of it, even removable and face plate models. How much do you think a pull out Pioneer would go for? At the time millions were being stolen a year yet I had never been offered one and no one I knew had been. The cops said something like they trade them for crack. I asked what the crack dealer did and met with deer headlight eyes.
I had 3 stereos stolen from my car once in the span of 6 months so I can relate. But guess what? I haven't had a car stereo stolen now in twenty years. They still get stolen Grinder but they are sold for almost nothing.
The only person that has ever mentioned a tower computer is you. No one said that a laptop would fetch a high price, never-the-less they are stolen even now. Smart phones are stolen all the time but used ones don't sell for that much and they can be traced.
Yes they can and they are getting harder and harder to sell for any money because of it. I have no doubt that thieves sell what they steal. The problem I have with the fence meme, is all we have is the Spanish girls story that he had a bunch of computers in his apartment..(I don't remember reading that they were laptops..but if they were, please point me to the story again). I see a fence like I see me as an IT broker. I have a limited amount of money to buy and sell with. I had both a financial cost of the money I used to buy and sell my equipment and an opportunity cost. The financial cost I figured about a point a month. For a million dollars that would be 10K a month. More importantly was the opportunity cost. I was limited to a million dollars that I could buy or not buy with. You always want to make sure you have liquidity so when you have an opportunity to buy something that can make you some real money, you have it and it's not tied up in some slow moving low margin crap. The fence is faced with the same problem. If he can buy a bunch of stolen laptops at a killer price, he is going to do it. But if the price isn't good. why take a chance of it falling in value the next month and your profit disappears?
Rudi had a phone that is also reported in the RW's Spanish story. IIRC Rudi made a statemnet to Mignini about using his SIM in different phones. Don't you remember a discussion here wondering about Rudi's phone history?
You're right, not that any of the phones or SIMs belonged to Rudy. This sounds like a guy who steals a phone any chance he can get. He'll use the phone and/or the SIM until the account on the SIM is closed and he is locked out and then he swaps for a new phone. But either it is VERY SIGNIFICANT that there isn't a single call that the police can trace between Rudy and Amanda/Raffaele because Rudy is not phone challenged or he doesn't have a phone.
Now what is valuable? Are you saying that Rudi would have to pay a disposal fee for the laptops? Why do you think he was out stealing worthless computers? Only Anglo has put a value on them that I know of and I trust his research.
No, if Rudy couldn't sell something he just dump it in the closest garbage can.
I trust Anglo too, but his estimate was just a ballpark, which is useless when the rubber meets the road. I use to track the price of IT equipment hourly Grinder and this I can tell you that there is NO WAY you can estimate the value of a laptop without knowing what it is. what CPU is in it, how much RAM, the size of the hard disk and the condition NO WAY. PERIOD.
Go check out POWERSOURCEONLINE.COM and Tradeloop You'll be able to look up equipment and resellers there but unless you're a reseller all you'll get is retail used prices. Which frankly means squat.
The real only way to set a value on a piece of IT equipment is to know the details and the time it is sold.