• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Tennessee is bringing back old sparky

I've mixed opinions on the death penalty, but I've never seen why the condemned couldn't have a choice between several methods.
 
I've mixed opinions on the death penalty, but I've never seen why the condemned couldn't have a choice between several methods.

Agree. But this law in Tennessee is not about choice. The state of Tennessee will execute an inmate using the electric chair in the event lethal drugs are not available.

This is the only state in the US that will do that.
 
Cake, please!

Very well. You shall be executed by having superheated cake batter shot into your eye sockets from a highly pressurized fire hose.

Which is why I said "a choice between several methods", not any method they like. Otherwise they'd answer as the Three Stooges did once:

Executioner: How do you want to die?
Curly: From old age!
 
Very well. You shall be executed by having superheated cake batter shot into your eye sockets from a highly pressurized fire hose.

Which is why I said "a choice between several methods", not any method they like. Otherwise they'd answer as the Three Stooges did once:

Executioner: How do you want to die?
Curly: From old age!


Or Tyrion...

Even with spoiler tags, that's inappropriate.
Replying to this modbox in thread will be off topic  Posted By: Lisa Simpson
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like they could solve a lot of problems with these execution methods if they went all-in for quickness of death, rather than methods that I guess seem more peaceful. Like, why not just get a good-sized high-explosive shaped charge, position it at the base of the skull, have maybe 3 detonators for redundancy, and go with that method? Best I can tell, that'd be quicker than pretty much anything else, though not so easy to watch for the witnesses - but I'm not too concerned about them.
 
Seems like they could solve a lot of problems with these execution methods if they went all-in for quickness of death, rather than methods that I guess seem more peaceful. Like, why not just get a good-sized high-explosive shaped charge, position it at the base of the skull, have maybe 3 detonators for redundancy, and go with that method? Best I can tell, that'd be quicker than pretty much anything else, though not so easy to watch for the witnesses - but I'm not too concerned about them.

Too expensive. Just throw them off a tall building.
 
The electric chair is officially an alternative method of execution in Tennessee if lethal drugs are not available.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tennessee-signs-bill-electric-chair-23836338

I wonder if the horrifying aspect of being electrocuted would add as an additional crime deterrent. I personally think it falls under cruel and unusual punishment and it will be challenged in the courts.

Funnily enough it might be more human than lethal drugs...

If you read on slashdot.org there is a serie of article linked about death penalty.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i21/Botched-Executions-Put-Lethal-Injections.html

Apparently tehre are more "botched" (going away from protocol) execution with lethal injection than with sparky. In fact the firing squad seem the best (and probably instantaneous as multiple bullet mush your heart - insta heart stopping and unconsciousness probably within seconds - IMNAD).

In fact when you read about dosage , and how the state can't get that right (how HARD is it to read the damn litterature and udnerstand the concentration versus personw eight?). It is assumed a lot of people were actualy conscious, and thus feeling the drug effect.

If you wnt to be human, bring in either the "freedom chopper" or the firing squad.
 
I'd choose hanging for myself, if I were being executed and got a choice. It's picturesque, short, and while it can be botched it would even so be more pleasant than being cooked alive by the chair. Hell, people have burst into flames on that thing.
 
I've got no problem with electrocution as a method of execution. I'm sure it will be challenged, though.

Its a really rather poor method. It requires a heck of a workup to be relible. In practice its actualy a worse choice than long drop hanging.
 
Seems like they could solve a lot of problems with these execution methods if they went all-in for quickness of death, rather than methods that I guess seem more peaceful. Like, why not just get a good-sized high-explosive shaped charge, position it at the base of the skull, have maybe 3 detonators for redundancy, and go with that method? Best I can tell, that'd be quicker than pretty much anything else, though not so easy to watch for the witnesses - but I'm not too concerned about them.

Damage done to surrounding structures would be unacceptable. Spaying bits of people over a large area creates a biohazard.
 
Damage done to surrounding structures would be unacceptable. Spaying bits of people over a large area creates a biohazard.

They have those "safe" they use to dispose of explosive, put it in a bunker strong enough to withstand the explosion, add an inlet of water+soap, add an outlet to water treatment et voila.

J/K.
 
They have those "safe" they use to dispose of explosive, put it in a bunker strong enough to withstand the explosion, add an inlet of water+soap, add an outlet to water treatment et voila.

J/K.

Getting expensive again. If you want to go down that route you are probably going to end up with the guillotine.
 
I've mixed opinions on the death penalty, but I've never seen why the condemned couldn't have a choice between several methods.
Wasn't that one of the sketches from Monty Python's Meaning of Life? (Where a man falls off a cliff after getting chased by a group of topless large-breasted women as his way of execution)
 
I'd choose hanging for myself, if I were being executed and got a choice. It's picturesque, short, and while it can be botched it would even so be more pleasant than being cooked alive by the chair.
That's actually a benefit to electrocution... the prison can serve BBQ at the after-execution party that they have.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom