• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Shakespeare and the Royals

How do you reconcile that idea with the life of Ben Jonson? Jonson was far more political, locked horns with the Royals a few times and spent a few spells in gaol. Yet, in terms of longevity, he lived longer than Shakespeare?

Says a lot about Ben Jonson to me. Now, I want to read more about him. Thanks Foolmewunz.
 
I've previously posted about the Hamlet simulcast live from the National Theatre. I have recently watched King Lear simulcast from the National Theatre last week. I notice royal families are dysfunctional in Shakespeare. I also notice that Shakespeare transcends brilliant/genius/gifted. No one else writes the best thing out there after hundreds of years. King Lear in the second act reminded me of my dad who had Alzheimers for ten years. I bet the play is personal to every person who watches it on some level. Shakespeare falls into a unique category of brilliance.

If royal people think they are special -- well yes, they are especially dysfunctional.
My deepest sympathy over the Alzheimers situation. Right now I wish I had Shakespeare's talent to express how deeply this destroys the family involved.
 
Shakespeare DID criticize aspects of royalty concerning the consequences of a monarchical form of government. Many plays deal with the problem of succession and abuse of power. But as far as I can tell, he did not tweak Elizabeth or James.

He did, however, give James a royal smooch on his royal arse in Macbeth. Shakespeare wove a number of James's favorite subjects into the play, and James is supposedly descended from Banquo, one of the clearly good guys in the play.
 
Shakespeare DID criticize aspects of royalty concerning the consequences of a monarchical form of government. Many plays deal with the problem of succession and abuse of power. But as far as I can tell, he did not tweak Elizabeth or James.

He did, however, give James a royal smooch on his royal arse in Macbeth. Shakespeare wove a number of James's favorite subjects into the play, and James is supposedly descended from Banquo, one of the clearly good guys in the play.

Indeed, MacBeth the play is completely at odds with MacBeth the historical king.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom