• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Boko Haram Wins in Nigeria

Alareth

Philosopher
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
7,682
Location
Jacksonville, FL
The Nigerian government, in response to attacks on schools that have left many children dead, has made the decision to shut down 85 schools in the northern portion of the country. This decision affects 120,000 students.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/18/nigeria-state-closes-schools-fears-boko-haram

"We have run out of excuses for our failure to live up to our responsibility to protect our innocent defenceless children from gratuitous violence," the speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, told legislators at a special session last week to mourn the latest victims – 59 students killed at a boarding school in neighbouring Yobe state on 25 February. Extremists locked some of the students into a dormitory and set it alight.

The school closures could have far-reaching consequences, including ending the education of some students in a region where few ever have the opportunity to get to high school, said the chairman of the Nigerian Human Rights Commission, Chidi Anselm Odinkalu.

"The average secondary school enrolment is slightly under 5% (in north-eastern Nigeria), so I think it's easy to understand that you cannot overestimate what the consequences of this could be, given the parlous state of education in the region and the fact that, clearly, whoever is orchestrating this is focused on targeting schools, educational institutions," he said.
 
Dear All,

Where's the War on Terror when you need it?

How many Boko Haram members could there be, and what would be the dollar cost per head to extirpate them?

Cpl Ferro
 
They're still around? I thought they pretty much disappeared after their hit A Whiter Shade Of Pale.

That can be remedied.

I'll remember to bring up these troglodytes the next time I hear the term "militant atheist".
 
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/05/world/africa/nigeria-abducted-girls/

"I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah," a man claiming to be Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau said in a video first obtained by Agence France-Presse.
"There is a market for selling humans. Allah says I should sell. He commands me to sell. I will sell women. I sell women," he continued, according to a CNN translation from the local Hausa language.
 
Nigerians lambast Jonathan for singing, dancing at campaign rally while nation mourns bomb blast victims

Nigerians have reacted with outrage over President Goodluck Jonathan’s visit to Kano to welcome former governor of the state, Ibrahim Shekarau, to the Peoples Democratic Party, a day after a car bomb killed dozens of Nigeria and injured several others in a suburb of Abuja.
The government said 75 people died while 124 others were injured although body count by witnesses and a PREMIUM TIMES reporter suggest over 200 Nigerians were killed.
“Over 200 people were killed by Boko Haram insurgents. Less than 24 hours later, the president was in Kano on political mission. That tells you they don’t take us seriously and our lives don’t count for much. That is the height of insensitivity I have seen in recent times,” he continued.
 
Off-topic comments re the music group Procul Harum moved to AAH; please stay on topic.
Replying to this modbox in thread will be off topic  Posted By: Locknar
 
Scum. Subhuman scum.

Boko Haram is seriously challenging Taleban for the title of "Most Disgusting Human Males on Earth".
 
Dear All,

Where's the War on Terror when you need it?

How many Boko Haram members could there be, and what would be the dollar cost per head to extirpate them?

Cpl Ferro

Unfortunately doing this is likely to create many, many more Boko Haram members. IMO the only way to get rid of Boko Haram is to make people not want to be members. In other parts of the world (including here in the UK), a rise in Islamic fundamentalism seems to be a response to young Muslims feeling left out of society (in the same way that the white working class turn to neo-nazi groups) and so the fundamentalists sneak in. Of course it's a lot more complicated than that with globalisation, the "war on terror and" probably a number of other things being a factor in radicalisation but there has to be something which leaves the door open to this kind of think.

Nigeria is a deeply divided country, economically, religiously tribally and so on. Boko Haram is IMO a symptom (and cause) of this.
 
Unfortunately doing this is likely to create many, many more Boko Haram members. IMO the only way to get rid of Boko Haram is to make people not want to be members. In other parts of the world (including here in the UK), a rise in Islamic fundamentalism seems to be a response to young Muslims feeling left out of society (in the same way that the white working class turn to neo-nazi groups) and so the fundamentalists sneak in. Of course it's a lot more complicated than that with globalisation, the "war on terror and" probably a number of other things being a factor in radicalisation but there has to be something which leaves the door open to this kind of think.

Nigeria is a deeply divided country, economically, religiously tribally and so on. Boko Haram is IMO a symptom (and cause) of this.

I think "a nonzero risk of dying" is going to reduce the appeal of Boko Haram as well as **** like this.

That said, there's going to be a lot of nigerian prince emails asking for people to pay the ransom money.
 
I think "a nonzero risk of dying" is going to reduce the appeal of Boko Haram as well as **** like this.

Doesn't seem to be the case with other Islamic extremist groups where "Western" action against them seems to have been a catalyst for young disaffected men to join them. Indeed they seem to be able to be persuaded that sacrificial dying is actually a good thing. Personally I cannot understand this kind of thinking but there are enough people out there for it to appear to be a problem.
 
I think "a nonzero risk of dying" is going to reduce the appeal of Boko Haram as well as **** like this.

That kind of thinking did not work at all in other part of the world, where the US is still assassinating people without due process. So why do you think it will work there ?

No i do not have a better solution than you. But I am under no illusion that solution will work.
 
Doesn't seem to be the case with other Islamic extremist groups where "Western" action against them seems to have been a catalyst for young disaffected men to join them. Indeed they seem to be able to be persuaded that sacrificial dying is actually a good thing. Personally I cannot understand this kind of thinking but there are enough people out there for it to appear to be a problem.

I can understand it. If you are desperate enough, think you have a bleak future, and death does seem to be realistic solution, and somebody come and give you hope or at least a meaning to your death.... Then you can see where it can lead.
 
Last edited:
I can understand it. If you are desperate enough, think you have a bleak future, and death does seem to be realistic solution, and somebody come and give you hope or at least a meaning to your death.... Then you can see where it can lead.

I hadn't thought of it that way - makes sense.
 
"I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah."
"There is a market for selling humans. Allah says I should sell. He commands me to sell. I will sell women. I sell women."

Does that nutbar work for the Department of Redundancy Department?
 
"I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market, by Allah."
"There is a market for selling humans. Allah says I should sell. He commands me to sell. I will sell women. I sell women."

Does that nutbar work for the Department of Redundancy Department?

It is a nutbar. probably a psychopath or having tendency to psychopathic, narcissistic, and wanting publicity. He'll tell anything as long as somebody hold a microphone.
 
Can do some kind of crowdfunding thing, so we can all chip in and set the French Foreign Legion on their posteriors?

No cameras.
Just cocaine and edged weapons.
 
I can understand it. If you are desperate enough, think you have a bleak future, and death does seem to be realistic solution, and somebody come and give you hope or at least a meaning to your death.... Then you can see where it can lead.
.
That's probably the primary driver for all those suicide-murders in Islam.
No hopers getting to Paradise the easy way. And taking out 50 people they don't even know, somehow is not equated to murder by the Imams that push the kid into the act.
The murder part.. that's a sin in Islam.. why is that not emphasized in those cultures?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom