Carlo Pacelli (Patrick Lumumba's lawyer): In the memorandum of the 7th, why didn't you mention Patrick?
AK: I think I thought that everything would be clear since I had written that everything I had said in the Questura wasn't true. So that meant also the fact that Patrick--
CP: But you didn't mention Patrick.
AK: I said what I had done myself, and that was the important thing. The fact that I hadn't been with him, for me that showed that I couldn't say what had happened that night, in the house. I could only say what happened to me, and the fact was that I wasn't with him.
GCM: Excuse me, avvocato, where is this document?
CP: It's there, Knox's defense produced it, the memorandum from the 7th.
GCM: The 7th.
LG? Yes, we acquired also the 7th.
GCM: So we have it. Go ahead.
CP: On the 7th you wrote "I didn't lie when I said the murderer might be Patrick." Why did you write that in your memorandum of the 7th?
AK: Honestly, I thought, like the police had told me -- the police had told me they had already found the guilty person. And they had suggested Patrick so much that I thought maybe it really was him. But apart from that, in that memorandum that I wrote in prison, the important thing for me was to tell what I knew, and what I knew was where I was on that evening.
CP: Patrick was in prison because of YOU! You didn't even say it to the PM on the 8th.
GCM: Excuse me, excuse me.
LG? I object to the way this question is posed! It contains value judgments that are not opportune. Guilt or fault is something which hasn't yet been determined. It can't be the object of a question.
GCM: That is the position of the Court. Questions should not contain evaluations.
CP: Signorina, more simply, this is my question.
GCM: Go ahead.
CP: In the memorandum of the 6th you name Patrick. On the 7th you write another memorandum confirming that Patrick is the assassin. But on the 10th, you tell your mother that you feel terrible because you got him put in prison and you know he is innocent. Do you confirm this?
AK: At the moment when I named Patrick, I didn't know if he was innocent or not. I only said it because I was following the suggestion of the police. But when I wrote in the memorandum that I couldn't accept the things I had said in the Questura, for me that meant I couldn't know whether he was the murderer or not, I could only know that I wasn't there.
CP: But then why on the 10th, three days later, did you say "I feel bad about what I did to Patrick?" To your mother?
AK: Because I knew that they arrested him because I gave them his name. But they are the ones who suggested the name. They wanted me to accuse him, and I didn't like that.
CP: To your mother, in that telephone conversation, you say--
GCM: Excuse me, avvocato. To just return to this question. The defense is expressing his perplexity and we also feel it. You are saying: "I didn't know if Patrick was innocent or not." This is on the 6th and the 7th. But on the 10th, you essentially say that he's innocent. So what the defense lawyer is asking is, what happened in between to make you change your mind? To change your conviction about the role of Patrick? It's this.
AK: Well, yes. I knew he was in prison uniquely because of my words. At first I didn't know this. I thought the police somehow knew whether he was guilty or not. Since I didn't know, I was confused. But in the following days I realized that he was in prison only because of what I had said, and I felt guilty.
CP: Why didn't you tell the police this in the following days, or to the PM?
GCM: Excuse me, avvocato? The days following which day?
CP: I'm talking about the 10th of November. The day of the conversation with her mother? Why didn't you ever tell the police or the publicco ministero?
AK: I had clearly written down in the memorandum that everything in my declarations couldn't be true because I didn't really remember them. And then, whenever police came to talk to give me paper or anything, they treated me like "Oh, so you have another truth now." So this was my way of telling them that nothing I had said in the Questura was usable.
CP: But you accused Patrick in the memorandum.
GCM: In which memorandum?
CP: In the ones of the 6th and 7th.