Disclaimer: I am not a physicist, and I know nothing about particle physics.
In an
earlier post, I quoted the first sentence of
the Higgs paper and asked for help in understanding it.
Lorentz-covariant field theories, symmetry, Lie groups? I was okay with that.
The Goldstone theorem, spontaneous breakdown of symmetry, gauge fields? I hadn't a clue.
Perpetual Student and
edd offered some helpful suggestions, which I read. Those readings reminded me of a book
ben m mentioned in another thread, which has been sitting on my bookshelf for over a year, unread:
Francis Halzen and Alan D Martin. Quarks & Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics. John Wiley and Sons, 1984.
The Higgs mechanism is covered in chapter 14, and the Higgs particle in chapter 15. Sections 14.6 (on spontaneous symmetry breaking) and 14.7 (spontaneous breaking of a global gauge symmetry) were most helpful to me.
Since we've been speaking of algebra, here's a personal anecdote. Section 14.7 starts with the following Lagrangian:
ℒ = (∂μφ)*(∂μφ) - μ2φ*φ - λ(φ*φ)2
That's equation (14.48). If you write the complex scalar field as φ = (φ
1 + iφ
2)/(√2), with φ
1 and φ
2 real, then the potential energy part of that Lagrangian is minimal on the circle with
(φ12 + φ22) = v2 = - μ2/λ.
That's equation (14.49). Picking φ
1 = v and φ
2 = 0 as the values of those real fields at some convenient representative point on that circle, we can examine the Lagrangian in the neighborhood of that point by substituting
φ(x) = (1/√2) (v + η(x) + iξ(x))
into the Lagrangian, where η(x) and ξ(x) are infinitesimal real fields that model the variation in φ as you move away from the representative point. The result of that substitution is equation (14.51):
ℒ' = ½(∂μξ)2 + ½(∂μη)2 + μ2η2 + constant + cubic and quartic terms in η, ξ
That's what they claim, anyway. Ignoring the use of μ to mean two distinct things in that equation, my eyeball substitution said there should be terms linear in η and quadratic in ξ. When I worked through the algebra, however, those terms cancelled.
The authors immediately explain the geometric reason, shown in Figure 14.5, but I hadn't read that far when I did the algebra.
Section 14.8 (the Higgs mechanism) is basically the same calculation for a local gauge symmetry, so the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian in section 14.7 are replaced by covariant derivatives, which introduces a vector gauge field. To keep the algebraic manipulations from creating the appearance of an unphysical real field, a different substitution is used. We end up with a massive vector boson and a Higgs particle.
That, at least, is what I understood from skimming chapter 14 last night. I'm going to have to read most of the book before I can do justice to chapters 14 and 15. That will take me a while. (The authors' preface suggests chapters 3 through 6 could be the basis for an undergraduate course on QED.)
On the other hand, I am no longer stuck on Higgs's first sentence. I can now read the entire paper, noting the details I still don't understand.