Christian Klippel
Master Poster
This is starting to getdisturbingenturbulating.
There, fixed it for ya
Greetings,
Chris
This is starting to getdisturbingenturbulating.
Spirituality as in chanting, lighting candles, getting rid of Thetans, whatever... that somehow links you to some cosmic oneness/unalterable Truth/divine creator/universal consciousness/secret knowledge/past lives/magic powers that actually really actually exists. Yes, I think there is a track here that denies it, but I don't think there is anything underlying about it.I agree. What's the game?
Am I correct in assuming there is an underlying track that denies spirituality wholesale?
Whether this is relevant or not depends very much on what is being discussed. If, taking the Christian example, I wanted to discuss the authorship of the gospels,it would probably help if I'd at least skimmed them. If I wanted to talk about why a Christian believes in Cristianity, when a Muslim has just as much reason for believing in Islam, say, then I don't think my biblical knowledge is very important.I find it hard to address issues that arise from sources outside of the church. There seems to be a lot of animosity and it is difficult to filter through that. I am somewhat in the position of a Christian discussing the Bible with people who haven't actually read the Bible, but only some commentary on it.
As far as I'm concerned the teachings of Scientology are almost certainly nonsense and I'm not desperately interested in having them justified for their own sake. But that's just my view. As with all believers, I'm interested in why you believe in it. If you don't go for the whole Xenu thing, fine.Certainly not with everyone here, but I can't tell who is who. And, to make it plain, I am no expert on Scientology either. I'm like the Christian who isn't well versed in the Bible -- at least not well enough to qualify as an apologist.
I'm not very interested in these people, I'm afraid.Still, even with these limitations, there are claims we can look at and evaluate. For example, the title of this thread is "Scientology abandoned by Hubbard's granddaughter & Miscavige's father" -- to me that is misleading. It has two meanings. The one is that the pair abandoned the institution, which is apparently so. But the other is that they abandoned the belief system, something I do not know and doubt highly. I think this is often the case: the word scientology meant to mean the organization instead of the practice. And I think it causes some confusion.
Spirituality as in chanting, lighting candles, getting rid of Thetans, whatever... that somehow links you to some cosmic oneness/unalterable Truth/divine creator/universal consciousness/secret knowledge/past lives/magic powers that actually really actually exists. Yes, I think there is a track here that denies it, but I don't think there is anything underlying about it.
Spirituality as in something that some people find pleasant some of the time, sure, why not?
“No culture in the history of the world, save the thoroughly depraved and expiring ones, has failed to affirm the existence of a Supreme Being. It is an empirical observation that men without a strong and lasting faith in a Supreme Being are less capable, less ethical and less valuable to themselves and society....A man without an abiding faith is, by observation alone, more of a thing than a man.”
Now I've learned somethingThere, fixed it for ya
Greetings,
Chris
What is your relation to Scientology?I agree. What's the game?
Am I correct in assuming there is an underlying track that denies spirituality wholesale?
Here is what L. Ron Hubbard had to say about it:
What is your relation to Scientology?
So, Hubbard was big on making ignorant, unfounded claims. We already knew that.
He did use the word empirical.
well, that makes all the difference.
Really? A friend has one, and resales of time in the same complex consistantly are worth much more than he paid a few years ago....
Do you often make snap pronouncements and expect them to be taken as gospel?
seriously, 40k for a timeshare? was it 52 weeks a year of 5 star?
So, your basic issue is that some people cannot judge the value of something?
My now deceased sister in law bought two prime time four bedroom units at Westgate in Orlando Florida. The yearly one cost $40,000. The bi yearly one cost $20,000. They can each be split into two units that can each sleep eight people and can be traded for anytime and any other unit in the world.
The kicker is that the timeshare fees are $1150 per year.
Here's a picture/drawing of the house being built by the owner of Westgate: http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4994957426623239&id=e037cfc9ade99eb4fad36f2542165ac7
So, she made a bad investment? It happens.
Im sure she was made aware of the fees before she signed up. She should have thought it through.
Well, this is progress then. At least we are clear that you are making a claim about there actually being some kind of meta-reality/God/spirit world/what ever rather than just saying that some Scientology practice is found to be helpful by some people and not making any claims beyond that. I wouldn't say that it's ruled out. I don't rule it out, I just lack belief in it. My main question would be why you feel Scientology has got it right and all the other religions/paths to enlightenment are, in one way or another less right. It can't surely just be that Scientology happens to be what you have stumbled upon and you dismiss the experiences of other people following other religions/spiritual paths?You've put your finger on the disconnect. No practice could hope to make inroads when the matter of concern is already ruled out of court.
Here is what L. Ron Hubbard had to say about it:
I'm pretty sure there have been threads on this very topic. We could sidetrack things for a long time unpicking this.“No culture in the history of the world, save the thoroughly depraved and expiring ones, has failed to affirm the existence of a Supreme Being. It is an empirical observation that men without a strong and lasting faith in a Supreme Being are less capable, less ethical and less valuable to themselves and society....A man without an abiding faith is, by observation alone, more of a thing than a man.”
He did use the word empirical.
No, my basic issue is that the people that sell timeshares sell the future value of the timeshare as increasing, but do nothing to help the resale value. The sales pitch is a fraud and the attorney General's office aids and abets the escape of the timeshare billionaires.
As a person gets richer and richer it becomes easier to gain wealth. When you can afford to pay a full time legal staff, you can get away with anything.