Well, there's a number of links (maybe off of other links) in this thread about California's plans and debates to expand airports. If a serious ban was in the works it certainly would have been mentioned.I can't find a reference for this claim (the closest I can find is the smoking ban on airpliners), but my former Aviation Maintenance instructor (and here I must stress that he buys into conspiracy theories, so take it with a grain of salt) claims that Callifornia wants to ban aircraft travel in their state because AVGAS and jet fuels have lead in it and there are no alternatives.
I don't see how it would be practical but if they did it they'd need something to replace it.
Well, aviation gasoline has lead, though some light aircraft are flying with supplemental type certificates allowing them to use unleaded.
Turbine fuels, though, (used in jet and turboprop aircraft) are basically kerosene, or very much like diesel fuel.
Since turbine engines don't typically suffer from knocking, (detonation), there's not much reason I can see to add tetra ethyl lead to a turbine fuel.
It's hard to believe an Aviation Maintenance instructor wouldn't know that.
It's equally hard to believe that he wouldn't know that the federal government has jurisdiction over airspace. I suppose it might be possible for California to shut down every non-military airport in the state, but they wouldn't be able to prevent overflights.
I'm pretty sure a fair chunk of change comes to California one way or another as a result of international travel. It's hard to imagine the legislature making California that business-unfriendly. But Las Vegas would probably benefit if they did.
I know that a large chunk of change comes to California from agriculture. A Central Valley without cropdusters would either increase production costs or lower production. I don't believe either one would be good for the state. And I find it difficult to believe that the agribusiness operators don't know this, and wouldn't bend the ear of the politicians to whom they have contributed, should such a thing be proposed.
Are state legislators and local politicians familiar with the economic benefit of the various types of aviation? Probably not, but I don't see this as a conspiracy. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
GM didn't just buy them up per se, they used whatever it took to get the local politicians to pave them over and buy fleets of busses... an interesting study would be how many of those same politicians or their cronies got lucrative Chevy and Caddy dealerships.Speaking from the New England perspective here, it was only about a hundred years ago that local trolleys and railways dotted the region. Where I lived in the 70's and 80's, Western Connecticut, there was once a street railway that ran all the way up half the state edge and into Pittsfield, Massachusetts. There was also an East-West railway running from Hartford across the top of the state until the 1950's, a North-South railway running along the western edge, and another North South railway across the line in New York, running up the eastern edge of that state until the 1970's. All but the North south line are gone, turned either back to pasture or into bikeways, and the North South has been freight only for about 50 years, except for scenic rides on a seasonal schedule. In addition, every town of any size had trolleys that went through the city and out to the suburbs, all done in by the 1950's and paved over.
Depending on your point of view, the time for rail travel ended, or the automotive culture, and (so I read) the clever act by General Motors of buying up old trolley lines and replacing them with buses, spelled a permanent end to mass rail transit here, or the government made a big mistake by subsidizing highways and letting rail travel wither. It will never be remotely practical now to regain the rights of way that railways gave away or allowed to lapse in past years.
I'm pretty sure a fair chunk of change comes to California one way or another as a result of international travel. It's hard to imagine the legislature making California that business-unfriendly. But Las Vegas would probably benefit if they did.
Yes, the only thing stupider would be to spend billions you don't have on infrastructure that won't be used and can't be moved.
I was skeptical when I read this but you are correct, and here's what I learned: Ticket price is set at $170 roundtrip, in today's dollars. And Expedia has numerous flights for less than $160.The cost to the rider (not the actual taxpayer subsidized cost) will be about the same as a airline fare with at least twice the overall time between destinations (in the door of the airport/train station and out the door of the destination)
You underestimate the full cost of a driving trip, though it's not highly relevant to the debate.and about twice what it would cost to drive the same trip.
It's certainly the case that some estimates are way out of whack with some other estimates, but there isn't any reality in this instance, because the planned system does not yet exist.The ridership estimates between SF and LA are way out of whack with reality.
Predictions are only as good as the assumptions on which they are based. If you're assuming that fuel costs for travel by either air or highway will be similar in 2030 to what they are now, I see a potential problem with that.The cost to the rider (not the actual taxpayer subsidized cost) will be about the same as a airline fare with at least twice the overall time between destinations (in the door of the airport/train station and out the door of the destination) and about twice what it would cost to drive the same trip.
And not in domestic oil supplies -- which is much of the reason that Japan got a four-decade jump on the US in building a high speed rail system (and maintained an extensive light passenger rail system), whereas vested interests in the US successfully conspired to insure that passenger transportation infrastructure in this country would strongly favor road over rail, over both long and short distances.California is not Japan. Not in population density, not in miles of highways and not in costs.
No. None of them will be in the central valley any time soon.
I was skeptical when I read this but you are correct, and here's what I learned: Ticket price is set at $170 roundtrip, in today's dollars. And Expedia has numerous flights for less than $160.
...
I was skeptical when I read this but you are correct, and here's what I learned: Ticket price is set at $170 roundtrip, in today's dollars. And Expedia has numerous flights for less than $160.
Average airline revenue per occupied seat is somewhere between what the tourist who picks up a deal on Expedia pays and the business traveler who needs to fly on short notice pays. A businessman who decides to hop on the 6:30 pm flight from LAX to SFO today and return later in the week would pay about $500 for a round trip ticket.