• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Zimmerman chased after Trayvon Martin and "caused them to meet face to face", he "confronted" him.

If you have evidence that Zimmerman confronted Martin, you may want to give this guy a call:

O'MARA: Zimmerman confronted Martin, those words. Where did you get that from?

GILBREATH: That was from the fact that the two of them obviously ended up together in that dog walk area. According to one of the witnesses that we talked with, there were arguing words going on before this incident occurred. But it was between two people.

O'MARA: Which means they met. I'm just curious with the word confronted and what evidence you have to support an affidavit you want in this judge to rely on that these facts with true and you use the word confronted. And I want to know your evidence to support the word confronted if you have any.

GILBREATH: Well, it's not that I have one. I probably could have used thirty words.

Detective Dale Gilbreath can be contacted via Duval County Sheriff Office.
 
Some of you guys seem to have a problem with the definition of the word. If Zimmerman caused them to meet, he confronted him. It doesn't mean "threw the first punch". Sorry if that rankles some of you pedants, but if you're going to be a pedant, don't be an ignorant one.
 
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/confront

a : to cause to meet : bring face-to-face

If Zimmerman chased after Trayvon Martin and "caused them to meet face to face", he "confronted" him.

That's a neat edit. The context for that definition is a bit different though.

2a : to cause to meet : bring face-to-face <confront a reader with statistics>

but why skip over the first definition?

: to face especially in challenge : oppose <confront an enemy>

Oh because you can't twist it to mean follow.
 
Some of you guys seem to have a problem with the definition of the word. If Zimmerman caused them to meet, he confronted him. It doesn't mean "threw the first punch". Sorry if that rankles some of you pedants, but if you're going to be a pedant, don't be an ignorant one.
Why don't you quote what you're referring to? Because as usual, the conversation that you appear to think took place, didn't.
 
That's a neat edit. The context for that definition is a bit different though.



but why skip over the first definition?



Oh because you can't twist it to mean follow.

Your accusation that I'm "twisting" things is a stupid cheap shot. I'm trying not to engage in this subject in an emotional manner, but how dare you get the definition of a simple word like "confront" wrong, then bristle when you're corrected. The dictionary definition is "to cause to meet face to face" among others. If you want to accuse me of cherry picking, our conversation here is done.
 
Stomps off angry when caught, refuses to back up claims.


What the hell was I caught at? You're wrong about the definition of a simple word in English. The forum rules prohibit me from telling you how I really feel about your snide act.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/confront

1. To come face to face with, especially with defiance or hostility: I wish to confront my accuser in a court of law.
2. To bring face to face with: The defendant was confronted with incontrovertible evidence of guilt.
3. To come up against; encounter: confronted danger at every turn.
v.intr. To engage in confrontation: "She got no child support. [She] didn't argue or confront" (Gail Sheehy).

There is no way I "cherry picked" or did anything else. You both are ignorant.

Have a great weekend.
 
It should be noted that this whole line of argument started when sgtbaker dared posit a hypothetical:
I think if it became evident that he did, in fact, follow and confront Martin...

To which this was the immediate response:
"Confront" is a loaded word.


So apparently, "confront" is too loaded a word even to use theoretically.

Maybe he's right. How about "greeted cordially"? Can we all agree that term is acceptable?

And, come to think of it, to say Zimmerman "shot and killed" Martin might also be inflammatory.

How about if we say "assertively persuaded to no longer be alive" instead?
 
Last edited:
What the hell was I caught at? You're wrong about the definition of a simple word in English. The forum rules prohibit me from telling you how I really feel about your snide act.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/confront

1. To come face to face with, especially with defiance or hostility: I wish to confront my accuser in a court of law.
2. To bring face to face with: The defendant was confronted with incontrovertible evidence of guilt.
3. To come up against; encounter: confronted danger at every turn.
v.intr. To engage in confrontation: "She got no child support. [She] didn't argue or confront" (Gail Sheehy).

There is no way I "cherry picked" or did anything else. You both are ignorant.

Have a great weekend.
I'm still waiting for the QUOTE showing how I'm wrong about the definition of the word. Show me where I wrongly defined the word. In fact, show me where I defined the word at all.
 
Your accusation that I'm "twisting" things is a stupid cheap shot. I'm trying not to engage in this subject in an emotional manner, but how dare you get the definition of a simple word like "confront" wrong, then bristle when you're corrected. The dictionary definition is "to cause to meet face to face" among others. If you want to accuse me of cherry picking, our conversation here is done.

The context sentence to explain "to cause to meet face to face" was about presenting information to someone. As in, I confronted you with the fact that the second definition of confront was out of context. Either way, following and confronting are not synonymous. My use of the word was most definitely the first definition. Do me a favor and don't accuse me of misusing words, after eliminating the definition that actually met my intended use of the word, from your quote and then twisting the second definition to meet your argument.
 
Last edited:
That's not inflammatory. That's factual. The police have evidence that actually occurred.

Yes, but I just want to make sure we don't offend anyone's delicate sensibilities with such charged terms. After all, if we can't even use the word "confront" hypothetically without ruffling feathers, I dare say such egregious terms as "shot" and "kill" might cause someone to have a fit.
 
Yes, but I just want to make sure we don't offend anyone's delicate sensibilities with such charged terms. After all, if we can't even use the word "confront" hypothetically without ruffling feathers, I dare say such egregious terms as "shot" and "kill" might cause someone to have a fit.

I at least wasn't parsing the use of the term, I was parsing to whom that action was attributed. There's no evidence to assign that verb to either participant.
 
It should be noted that this whole line of argument started when sgtbaker dared posit a hypothetical:

To which this was the immediate response:



So apparently, "confront" is too loaded a word even to use theoretically.

Maybe he's right. How about "greeted cordially"? Can we all agree that term is acceptable?

And, come to think of it, to say Zimmerman "shot and killed" Martin might also be inflammatory.

How about if we say "assertively persuaded to no longer be alive" instead?

I think NBS used the wrong term. Loaded means using a word to imply something that may or may not be true. I think NBS meant ambiguous (thought I could be wrong) based on the rest of the post that followed that first sentence that you quoted. NBS asked what I meant by confronted.
 
My take:

Choosing to follow someone you believe is suspicious, when there is no evidence that a crime has been committed or that there is any imminent danger, and initiating contact when you have a gun is, IMO, reckless.

Just don't do it.

Today is Saturday. Many people will go to a bar tonight and many of those will drive home while they are under the influence. The vast majority of them will return home safely. Some may very well kill someone.

  • It doesn't matter what their intent is.
  • It doesn't matter that statistically they are not likely to harm anyone.
  • It's unnecessary.
  • Don't do it.
We ought to have laws to protect the innocent from reckless behavior.
 
Last edited:
I think NBS used the wrong term. Loaded means using a word to imply something that may or may not be true. I think NBS meant ambiguous (thought I could be wrong) based on the rest of the post that followed that first sentence that you quoted. NBS asked what I meant by confronted.
You are correct, I could have also use the word ambiguous, and it may have been an even better choice than my use of the word loaded.

So I believe we were both right on all counts :D.
 
I think NBS used the wrong term. Loaded means using a word to imply something that may or may not be true. I think NBS meant ambiguous (thought I could be wrong) based on the rest of the post that followed that first sentence that you quoted. NBS asked what I meant by confronted.

If you say so.

There just seems to be an awful lot of hypersensitivity around here about the use of words and terms that might be viewed as inflammatory towards Zimmerman.

A couple hundred pages ago I was called out for saying Zimmerman "decided to take a gun and pursue him" because it was taken to mean that Zimmerman armed himself with the express purpose to pursue Martin. Apparently, anything more suggestive than Zimmerman completely forgetting he was armed before approaching Martin for a friendly chat was deemed off-limits.

And then just recently, I was accused of "making things up" when I used the terms "relentless" and "vicious" in describing how Zimmerman's father recounted the incident, despite the fact that both words were quite apt.

That someone would then object to the use of the word "confront" wouldn't surprise me in the least.

You are correct, I could have also use the word ambiguous, and it may have been an even better choice than my use of the word loaded.

If by "better" you mean "correct, because they mean different things", then yes, it would have been "better". Just like it would have been "better" than using the word "festive" or "alligator".
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom