Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
I think many people (myself included) are getting swept away by their emotions.
Nonsense. I am in control of my emotions.
Here's a video I just made of me being perfectly in control of my emotions:
I think many people (myself included) are getting swept away by their emotions.
Ample substantation has been provided. 'I was attacked, injured, and reasonably believed that my life was in danger when he grabbed my weapon' is substantiation almost verbatim from the law on self defense.I was speaking strictly in terms of personal belief.
Zimmerman admits to killing Martin.
Zimmerman claims it was in self-defense.
That is a positive claim that requires substantiation.
My logic is sound.
Zimmerman acted in contradiction to what the police dispatcher advised him, and in violation of the rules of the neighborhood watch program with which he claims to be affiliated.
Ample substantation has been provided. 'I was attacked, injured, and reasonably believed that my life was in danger when he grabbed my weapon' is substantiation almost verbatim from the law on self defense.
All he needs to do is assert something that matches the elements for self defense to the available facts.
One hundred percent accurate. We have the tapes that shgow him blowing off the dispatcher whop told him to stop following Martin.That didn't really answer my question. I'm also not sure its completely accurate or relevant.
He was not acting in a rational manner. Self-defense requires that the person using such a defense be rational.
But isn't that primarily because this case was brought to light?I think many people (myself included) are getting swept away by their emotions. I know that I'm angry about Trayvon, because I have a young nephew whom I care about deeply. One thing we need to recognize, is the system is working. Zimmerman is going to have his day in court.
Ample substantation has been provided. 'I was attacked, injured, and reasonably believed that my life was in danger when he grabbed my weapon' is substantiation almost verbatim from the law on self defense.
All he needs to do is assert something that matches the elements for self defense to the available facts.
I was speaking strictly in terms of personal belief.
If you want to exclude that middle and jump to *your* claim that he needs to prove a negative (namely that it didn't happen the way you or anyone else 'suspects' it happened), those are logical fallacies until we have more facts.
That didn't really answer my question.
I'm also not sure its completely accurate or relevant.
I hope it happens that way. Because anything else leaves a lot more doubt.
I freely admit that I got carried away on the "how do you prove your innocence in self defense" tangent. Sorry about that. I lost sight of what else is there because I went from just what is reported. Which is assuredly less than what LE and the prosecution has.
Why do you not consider Zimmerman getting out of his truck with a gun and pursuing Martin to be a "defining moment"?
But isn't that primarily because this case was brought to light?
And I see some confirmation bias by you trying to stick to your original position that GZ could be telling the truth that he was returning to his SUV, unaware of where TM was when TM approached GZ from behind.I see a lot of presumptions from someone who's never actually been in the development, has no idea what the range of visibility was, and where GZ was standing when he claims to have lost sight of Trayvon.
You left out the girlfriend's call which the time it occurred compared to the time of the shooting is recorded evidence. There are only a couple minutes between the end of the call and the shooting. This is completely consistent with what the girlfriend heard on the phone and inconsistent with what GZ claims happened.... They agree, the call ends and then (A1) _____________________ _____________________________________________________________(Z2)
People begin calling in about a fight. One witness reports seeing the two men struggle and one screaming for help. He goes inside to call the police and then (A2)____________________________________________________(Z2) Reports of two men fighting turn into reports of two men fighting then one man shot.
What I see a lot of people doing is filling in the blanks between A1 and Z1 as well as the blanks between A2 and Z2 and somehow knowing Zimmerman's intentions. Unfortunately because Trayvon is dead, there is only one version being told, which doesn't make it true but it doesn't automatically make it false, either. I see a lot of discarding the story from the only living participant and the only eye witness, close enough to make a positive identification in place of emotionally charged, ear witnesses and family member's accounts, who weren't there to see any of it go down. I simply don't know when, "I know it wasn't Trayvon because my son just wouldn't do that," became a valid argument.
Because we don't know exactly what happened after that. What we do know is that he got out of his truck. Even if he did get out of the truck with the specific intent to hunt down and detain Martin till the cops got there (which I think is actually a crime) but instead chose to go back to the truck and Trayvon confronted him, he [Zimmerman] was no longer following him, no longer a threat, and no longer the aggressor.
If he chose not to go back to the truck and instead went in search of Martin, found him, and initiated the confrontation, he is guilty as sin.
No laws are actually broken until the confrontation occurs. The problem is, the only witness to the time that could define who actually broke the law is also the only survivor. I understand doubting, I don't understand assuming.
Why is any of that relevant? It's only the final altercation that is relevant.Yes, and even with all of the maps, has anyone figured out exactly where Zimmerman was when he saw Martin? Where he was when he said to the dispatcher, "I don't know where he is..."
March 19th in Sanford FL:Does anyone know how dark it is, between the rows of houses, when it's raining and the moon is covered?
I agree with this.Because we don't know exactly what happened after that. What we do know is that he got out of his truck. Even if he did get out of the truck with the specific intent to hunt down and detain Martin till the cops got there (which I think is actually a crime) but instead chose to go back to the truck and Trayvon confronted him, he [Zimmerman] was no longer following him, no longer a threat, and no longer the aggressor.
If he chose not to go back to the truck and instead went in search of Martin, found him, and initiated the confrontation, he is guilty as sin.
No laws are actually broken until the confrontation occurs. The problem is, the only witness to the time that could define who actually broke the law is also the only survivor. I understand doubting, I don't understand assuming.
I can't speak for him but I don't think that is his point.So that fact that before the altercation, Martin was minding his own business while walking home from the store and Zimmerman was following him around with a gun means nothing?
When determining the validity of Zimmerman's self-defense claim, we disregard his reckless and irresponsible actions that set the whole thing in motion, and just treat him like he was also minding his own business?
That is what I have argued. I'm not as sure that GZ acted contrary to the dispatchers admonition. But I think he did and if he did I think it is manslaughter.While people don't like the idea some of us are drawing conclusions before a trial, I would like to comment. On the one hand there may be a legal definition of guilt here, and the FL laws may or may not allow a conviction.
But as far as guilt goes, the evidence is more than sufficient to say that GZ was needlessly reckless and TM died because of it, not because TM initiated a fight even if he did.
That's manslaughter by many people's definitions.
No, they just have far less weight than you seem to feel that they do.So that fact that before the altercation, Martin was minding his own business while walking home from the store and Zimmerman was following him around with a gun means nothing?
When determining the validity of Zimmerman's self-defense claim, we disregard his reckless and irresponsible actions that set the whole thing in motion, and just treat him like he was also minding his own business?