• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

So Will 2012 Be Just Another Year?

All I can say is...

If there really are any experts on how developments will play out in the future... where is my flying car? Where is my automatic walkway? Why do I still have to type? Where is my virtual reality? Why do I need 64GB when 640Kb is enough?

Or as it is said: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why we call it present.
 
I don't really understand the question. Do you mean "paranormal phenomena"? And what do you mean by "hope"? Hope that paranormal phenomena can save us?

I think at the end of the day we have free will, and that whilst I don't rule out the possibility of "assistance from outside" I think we have to assume that humanity is going to have to clean up its own mess.


Thanks, you answered to my satisfaction.
 
All I can say is...

If there really are any experts on how developments will play out in the future... where is my flying car? Where is my automatic walkway? Why do I still have to type? Where is my virtual reality? Why do I need 64GB when 640Kb is enough?

Or as it is said: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why we call it present.

I think what is interesting about that documentary, and which a lot of people aren't quite getting the relevance of, is that we are heading towards a systemic failure and that this only becomes clear when you look at all the different threads of what is happening in the world at the moment. If you just look at climate change, or the economy, or peak oil, or deforestation on their own then it may look bad, but it doesn't necessarily look catastrophic. It's only when you look at the whole thing holistically that the true nature of the crisis becomes apparent. I think it is impossible to say precisely how this is going to play out, because the whole thing is far too complicated and there's too many unpredictable humans involved...BUT I think it is absolutely inevitable that the systemic breakdown he's predicting will happen, and it will happen in the forseeable future. I think this for the same reason he does: our economic and political system is fundamentally broken, and it cannot respond effectively to the systemic crisis because the powers that be are part of the problem. In other words, the people currently in charge of the world are doing everything possible to try to stop the system from collapsing, but that just means more of the same medicine we already know doesn't work. Austerity and QE are not going to cure the patient. They are going to kill it.
 
I think what is interesting about that documentary, and which a lot of people aren't quite getting the relevance of, is that we are heading towards a systemic failure and that this only becomes clear when you look at all the different threads of what is happening in the world at the moment. If you just look at climate change, or the economy, or peak oil, or deforestation on their own then it may look bad, but it doesn't necessarily look catastrophic. It's only when you look at the whole thing holistically that the true nature of the crisis becomes apparent. I think it is impossible to say precisely how this is going to play out, because the whole thing is far too complicated and there's too many unpredictable humans involved...BUT I think it is absolutely inevitable that the systemic breakdown he's predicting will happen, and it will happen in the forseeable future. I think this for the same reason he does: our economic and political system is fundamentally broken, and it cannot respond effectively to the systemic crisis because the powers that be are part of the problem. In other words, the people currently in charge of the world are doing everything possible to try to stop the system from collapsing, but that just means more of the same medicine we already know doesn't work. Austerity and QE are not going to cure the patient. They are going to kill it.

Why can't you accept that some people think that there is nothing to get from that documentary? I could post links to videos that are quite optimistic about the future, such as 'The City Of 2050'', but you wouldn't get the relevance.
 
UE - I rarely click on links and only those offered by posters who have really gained my trust.

I did not watch any of your 'documentary'.

There is nothing at all special about 2012.

At some point, all life will be gone from the universe.

I am not particularly concerned about when our corner of it becomes quieter.
 
I think what is interesting about that documentary, and which a lot of people aren't quite getting the relevance of, is that we are heading towards a systemic failure and that this only becomes clear when you look at all the different threads of what is happening in the world at the moment. If you just look at climate change, or the economy, or peak oil, or deforestation on their own then it may look bad, but it doesn't necessarily look catastrophic. It's only when you look at the whole thing holistically that the true nature of the crisis becomes apparent. I think it is impossible to say precisely how this is going to play out, because the whole thing is far too complicated and there's too many unpredictable humans involved...BUT I think it is absolutely inevitable that the systemic breakdown he's predicting will happen, and it will happen in the forseeable future. I think this for the same reason he does: our economic and political system is fundamentally broken, and it cannot respond effectively to the systemic crisis because the powers that be are part of the problem. In other words, the people currently in charge of the world are doing everything possible to try to stop the system from collapsing, but that just means more of the same medicine we already know doesn't work. Austerity and QE are not going to cure the patient. They are going to kill it.
UE, I've been following this thread off and on for a while now and I would like to ask a question. Ready? Here goes:

What is up with the fetish for the end of things? Seriously just why does this tired out **** give you a stiffy (or gets your juices flowing if you're a woman)?

For the past twenty years (yes, I am aware it is much older than that) it's always been one thing or another that's going to wipe out all life on this planet or destroy civilization as we know or what the **** ever. Global warming, industrial pollution, war with the soviets, heavens gate, Y2K, the second coming, global conspiracies, et cetra. It has become part of popular culture to the point that you always see it the 'fate' of one or a single group of humans against some threat that is going to destroy everything wether in music, books, games, movies or TV.

And every time the world fails to end someone just like you acts as if they're disappointed their wet dream didn't come true and majority of humanity didn't die out as you start masturbating themselves with the next end time ******** that comes along. It's tiresome, annoying, depressing and more than a little disturbing. You may stop it. Now would be nice.

Grow up and understand that 2012 is just another leap year already.
 
Last edited:
UE, I've been following this thread off and on for a while now and I would like to ask a question. Ready? Here goes:

What is up with the fetish for the end of things? Seriously just why does this tired out **** give you a stiffy (or gets your juices flowing if you're a woman)?

It's not a fetish, and it's not "the end times." The world isn't ending. All that is ending is an unsustainable human creation called "industrialised civilisation."

I am simply trying to warn people about something most of them are apparently unaware of. Even if they don't believe me now, maybe they will remember some of this discussion as things deteriorate further.

For the past twenty years (yes, I am aware it is much older than that) it's always been one thing or another that's going to wipe out all life on this planet or destroy civilization as we know or what the **** ever. Global warming, industrial pollution, war with the soviets, heavens gate, Y2K, the second coming, global conspiracies, et cetra. It has become part of popular culture to the point that you always see it the 'fate' of one or a single group of humans against some threat that is going to destroy everything wether in music, books, games, movies or TV.

Yes. Which has helped numb people so that when a real crisis looms, they don't take any notice.

I'm not responsible for previous people who have incorrectly predicted major changes. All I'm doing is pointing out what is happening in the world now. I don't care if people have predicted doom in the past and turned out to be wrong, and neither should you. You should look at what is happening in the world and decide based on that. If you're confident that we haven't passed peak oil, and that the economic/monetary system is not broken, and that climate change is not happening, etc... then good for you. For a while.

Grow up and understand that 2012 is just another leap year already.

Don't patronise me. If you want to make this personal, I think I've already demonstrated my capacity to give as good as I get. Treat me respectfully and I will do the same in return.
 
It's not a fetish, and it's not "the end times." The world isn't ending. All that is ending is an unsustainable human creation called "industrialised civilisation."

I am simply trying to warn people about something most of them are apparently unaware of. Even if they don't believe me now, maybe they will remember some of this discussion as things deteriorate further.



Yes. Which has helped numb people so that when a real crisis looms, they don't take any notice.

I'm not responsible for previous people who have incorrectly predicted major changes. All I'm doing is pointing out what is happening in the world now. I don't care if people have predicted doom in the past and turned out to be wrong, and neither should you. You should look at what is happening in the world and decide based on that. If you're confident that we haven't passed peak oil, and that the economic/monetary system is not broken, and that climate change is not happening, etc... then good for you. For a while.



Don't patronise me. If you want to make this personal, I think I've already demonstrated my capacity to give as good as I get. Treat me respectfully and I will do the same in return.
Nobody has insulted you in the way you insulted us in the post that was removed. See you in 2016, and the world will be more or less the same.
 
It's not a fetish

On the contrary:

Websters Dictionary said:
Object of irrational reverence or obsessive devotion.

Object of fixation that may interfere with complete sexual expression

However else you may try to define your claims it is definitely a fetish.

UE said:
and it's not "the end times." The world isn't ending.

You are still proclaiming some kind of special insight into the end of one thing be it the world, the human race, or modern society. It's still wearisome don't you think? You ever stop and think "Oh hey, maybe I'm masturbating myself to this stupid **** for no damned reason. We just might make it after all."

UE said:
All that is ending is an unsustainable human creation called "industrialised civilization."
Funny that, we're showing signs of recovering as of late. No reason why it might all go to **** unless someone like you desides to **** us all because they can't get their jones off because civilsation isn't ended fast enough for you them.

UE said:
You should look at what is happening in the world and decide based on that. If you're confident that we haven't passed peak oil, and that the economic/monetary system is not broken, and that climate change is not happening, etc...
No, but I have confidence in the ingenuity of my fellow human beings to overcome these problems.



UE said:
Treat me respectfully
I don't give what's not yet been earned. So far all I heard on this thread is no more different from wild eye minister yelling on early morning TV about end times. You want me to respect that?
 
Last edited:
It's not a fetish, and it's not "the end times." The world isn't ending. All that is ending is an unsustainable human creation called "industrialised civilisation."


Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Don't patronise me. If you want to make this personal, I think I've already demonstrated my capacity to give as good as I get. Treat me respectfully and I will do the same in return.


You'll get exactly what you deserve.

You'll take it, and you'll like it.

Now, go to your room until you learn to behave better.
 
You should look at what is happening in the world and decide based on that. If you're confident that we haven't passed peak oil, and that the economic/monetary system is not broken, and that climate change is not happening, etc... then good for you. For a while.
.

you know that 70 years ago the entire world was at war.....right ?
and 90 years before that the entire world was at war again and that shortly after that 3% of the worlds population died from the flu

or when was the last time one of your relatives was bombed in their own house?
see, not really all that bad is it
:D
 
you know that 70 years ago the entire world was at war.....right ?
and 90 years before that the entire world was at war again and that shortly after that 3% of the worlds population died from the flu

or when was the last time one of your relatives was bombed in their own house?
see, not really all that bad is it
:D

It's relatively quiet at the moment. If my dad was still alive he'd laugh at this thread. If my grandfather was still alive he'd die laughing at it. He survived the Somme and went through the Great Depression. They had to eat nettles sometimes.
 
Last edited:
It's relatively quiet at the moment. If my dad was still alive he'd laugh at this thread. If my grandfather was still alive he'd die laughing at it. He survived the Somme.

exactly, I have always felt myself quite lucky that I haven't been conscripted into an army at war yet
:rolleyes:
 
You'll get exactly what you deserve.

You'll take it, and you'll like it.

Now, go to your room until you learn to behave better.

The day has finally come, so wear the hat and do the dance and let the suit keep wearing you. This year you'll sit and take it and you will like it: it's the gentle art of making enemies....... :-)
 
The day has finally come, so wear the hat and do the dance and let the suit keep wearing you. This year you'll sit and take it and you will like it: it's the gentle art of making enemies....... :-)


Finally, words to live by!

(I didn't know I was supposed to be gentle)
 
Nothing, rather obviously. For a start I agree with pretty much everything said by Nafeez Ahmed in the documentary we're discussing in the other thread. Given that he's a world-class expert in international affairs and the head of a London-based economic/political think-tank, what on Earth make YOU think that I think I'm the only one who understands what is going on?

Please don't mistake your very poor level of understanding for me believing I'm exceptionally aware of what is going on. The problem is that you are very slow, not that I believe I'm exceptionally quick.

And as for the economists...I stand by what I said: these people did not see the biggest economic tsunami in history coming until it hit them. Their opinions are worthless, because what they do is driven by politics, not science or reason.

Humm...
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom