Uncertainty about the size of remaining reserves is arguably the main reason for there being so much variation in the different projections. But though you continue to avoid saying so directly, it looks like you are at least willing to acknowledge that production will peak, and I see that as progress.A "peakoil" theory is developed about 3% of oil reserves. Suddenly we know how to get to and retrieve an order of magnitude more oil. The rational thing would be to say "Ok, I need to revise the "peakoil" theory and now the peak will be a long time off".
A passage I overlooked in your last post was one in which you offered your own projection, putting us "currently on the far left side of a 100 year plus peak oil curve." That's a rather awkward way of phrasing things. We're talking about a roughly symetrical logistic distribution curve which represents a plotting of rates of production over a period of several hundred years, starting from the mid-1850s. (There effectively is no limit to the scale parameter on the right, as the world's oil will never be completely depleted, and while production will eventually approach zero, it is unlikely to ever actually reach it).The rational thing would be to say "Ok, I need to revise the "peakoil" theory and now the peak will be a long time off".
But you haven't.
I have to assume that what you were trying to say is that the peak is still more than 100 years in the future. I also have to assume that you're basing that on the numbers provided by the Citigroup report recommended by the Register article you linked (the one of which you said: "I think this article pretty much sums up my understanding of the confluence of "Peakoil" and modern oil shale retrieval."). You did read that report, right? There's a lot of stuff there (including some pretty crazy-ass graphs), and evaluating it is a task that could take considerable time, but I'd be willing to walk through at least some of it with you if you'd like to confirm that it does indeed "pretty much sum up your understanding". As a demonstration of this willingness, I'll offer to go first, beginning with a passage that appears (in rather small print) at the bottom of the introduction and just before the beginning of the actual report itself:
"Citi Investment Research & Analysis is a division of Citigroup Global Markets Inc. (the "Firm"), which does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports. As a result, investors should be aware that the Firm may have a conflict of interest that could affect the objectivity of this report."
The historical record indicates that skepticism definitely is the best approach to evaluating the accuracy of estimates, considering how often those estimates are being made by those with strong political and economic motives for fudging them. As noted in that Citigroup PDF, "Major supply projects often came online much later than expected, at much greater cost, and with much less oil. The production profiles tended to show sharp peaks followed by sharp declines".I guess one could just be skeptical about the payout for the Utah play above mentioned that has 3x the recoverable reserves as Saudi Arabia.
I agree, and as I've already noted, there is no question in my mind as to whether or not that's something we should do and are going to do. We just need to be realistic about the relative size of that dent.M85 alone can put a huge dent in the liquid petroleum requirements of the transportation sector.
