Obviously this reply is like trying to fight a tidal wave of ignorance with a bucket and a paper towel, but the few people who have reasonable thought processes should probably comment on most of the "difficult" topics (including libertarianism and racism alongside Ayn Rand) that tend to reduce 90% of people here to childish and irrational behavior.
I'm going to try to reply to the people who have working minds on the matter and ignore the ones who give indications that they are responding at a sub-rational level.
I don’t understand the vitriolic hatred of Rand.
I don’t think she makes a very good “philosopher”, and when I look at the principles of “objectivism” I see some ideas I would agree with, some I think are questionable, and others I would disagree with, but that’s true with most philosophies. One should see it as a starting point for a discussion.
Take objectivism out of the picture, and her novels still provide some interesting ideas worthy of discussion. Whatever faults one believes she has, the sheer popularity of her works should indicate there are substantial ideas there that resonate with people.
Absolutely. There's some sort of adolescent-level vicious reaction on the part of people who don't understand Rand's philosophy, probably because they think (in their utter ignorance and lack of investigation) that Rand's ideas contradict things that they were taught or believed were right from the most base and infantile-level of their development.
The funny thing is, even though Rand wasn't a great politician or ambassador of her thoughts, if you actually listened to some of her interviews, you'd find that her ideas aren't so scary and are actually very good. She really was a brilliant person who devoted her mind, wholly and honestly, to developing her own theory of life. That alone makes her conclusions worthy of some honest consideration.
Just to note, Ayn Rand:
1. Was not a racist.
2. Did not believe on ignoring people in need.
3. Did not hate charity or those who chose to help out others.
4. Did not hate love or marriage.
5. Did not advocate murder or violence.
6. Had no problem with giving and receiving gratitude.
But she had her own REASONS for these things that are not the standard societal line. LISTEN to her own words, not what some half-read half-wit tells you were her words.
It wasn't the usual heap of regurgitated, anti-Rand memetic defense mechanisms, I have to give that much credit.
The real problem is that, yes, society is indeed driven forward by a small handful of individuals. This is the polar opposite of what the politician tells you -- that you, the common yokel, are the important one, and all society should be oriented around you. Even if it slows down those who are hauling you forward into future society. Some even go further and declare those people to be evil, what's keeping you down, thus memetically requesting authorization for the politician to beat them on the head even more, with the attendant, designed-in kickbacks to said politicians to get back out of the way.
Yes, but it's also important to point out that Rand saw EVERYONE as an individual who should take responsibility for their own life and use their own mind, not just the people in power or people who had wealth.
You can be an Ayn-Randian hero, so to speak, if you're a poor fruit farmer in Guatemala. If it's your own fruit farm and you honestly decided that that's your best path for taking care of yourself or that's what you enjoy most.
Rand tried to show that if you are an egoist, you will act morally, no matter how sorely tempted, since telling the truth (for example) is always the most "realistic" thing to do, because by lying I create "self-deception" and thus hurt myself.
But it just doesn't work, no matter what point you start with -- if only because, as Adeimantus already told Socrates, if selfishness is my guide, it is surely far better to appear moral and caring and just, than to actually be moral and caring and just. If I act in such a dishonest way I might deceive you about the truth, but I am not deceiving myself; so Rand's attempt to hang morality on the self-interest of not deceiving oneself simply doesn't work.
But if you lie to others or put out a false front, you will 1) Likely be stressed and unhappy and 2) Likely be caught. Thus it is not best to appear honest and moral, it is best to BE honest and moral.
Self-interest and intelligence is all you need to end up as a moral person.