• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Releasing the Osama kill photo

Should the photo(s) be released?

  • Yes

    Votes: 120 52.4%
  • No

    Votes: 79 34.5%
  • Not sure

    Votes: 30 13.1%

  • Total voters
    229
Red Ibis, what evidence would satisfy you?

Sadam Hussein's death video was pretty convincing, as were the photos of his two sons.

If there's one thing I don't think would offend too many Muslims it's a picture of a dead guy's face. I've seen plenty of footage of Arab Muslims marching dead guys down the street.
 
Sadam Hussein's death video was pretty convincing

It could have been faked.

You think video of the Pentagon crash was fake, so how can you tell which video is fake, and which is genuine?


, as were the photos of his two sons.

That too can be faked. You've shown time and again that you don't believe in the photos of debris at the Pentagon and Shanskville.

You seem to haphazardly believe in footage you want to believe is true, and disregard any that doesn't fit with your preconceptions. You don't seem to have any discriminating system besides your own personal taste.

In other words, if photos or video of OBL were shown, what would stop you from denying their veracity? You seem to place yourself in a constant state of deniability.
 
Last edited:
It could have been faked.

You think video of the Pentagon crash was fake, so how can you tell which video is fake, and which is genuine?




That too can be faked. You've shown time and again that you don't believe in the photos of debris at the Pentagon and Shanskville.

You seem to haphazardly believe in footage you want to believe is true, and disregard any that doesn't fit with your preconceptions. You don't seem to have any discriminating system besides your own personal taste.

There are a few flags on the play.

1) Please don't derail into other topics.
2) Please don't misrepresent my position while derailing the discussion.

You are confusing the lack of evidence with denial of evidence.
 
1) Please don't derail into other topics.
How is this a derail?

We're talking about the OBL photos, and your intellectual capacity to discern their veracity. Your posting history on these boards show you have no such capability, or integrity.


2) Please don't misrepresent my position while derailing the discussion.

You are confusing the lack of evidence with denial of evidence.

There is plenty of evidence for 9/11, and yet for four years, you have consistently denied them.

Why would a couple of photos of OBL's dead corpse be any different?
 
Last edited:
Palin weighs in:

What a monumental idiot.

When is this type of footage ever considered to be a warning that strikes fears in the hearts of the enemy? We all saw the towers fall. What was the widespread attitude? That we need to minimize our involvement in the Middle East? No. For many, it was a call to arms. What on earth would lead anyone to believe that a picture of a dead Bin Laden is going to cause any Al Qaida terrorist to pack his bags and go home?
 
Journalistic integrity seems inexistent outside the West. Don't they fact-check anything before they publish? No wonder conspiracy theories are so rampant in Asia, they have no method to filter the information.

Wild generalisation.
 
That photo has been on the internet for at least 2 years. It was a known fake all along. Why anyone, especially some media outlets, ever used it, is beyond me.

This is the photo used to create the fake death photo. It was flipped and merged with another photo, and done very badly.

[qimg]http://thewashingtonroast.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Osama-Bin-Laden.jpg[/qimg]

Okay, thanks. Didn't know that. I saw that photo on a Dutch news website, so...
 
What a monumental idiot.

When is this type of footage ever considered to be a warning that strikes fears in the hearts of the enemy? We all saw the towers fall. What was the widespread attitude? That we need to minimize our involvement in the Middle East? No. For many, it was a call to arms. What on earth would lead anyone to believe that a picture of a dead Bin Laden is going to cause any Al Qaida terrorist to pack his bags and go home?

After Tucson, I'd have expected Palin to have got a new PR agent. Must have killed her to wait three days without criticising Obama.
 
Last edited:
This didn't get much traction the first time, one more try then I will drop it.

For the record, I do think he is dead. I am not a CT'ist in any way, shape, or form.

1) The extraordinary claim is that OBL was killed. Extraordinary because we were not able to do so for 10 years, and many started to wonder if we would ever even find him, let alone capture/kill him.

2) We have seen no evidence indicating he is dead outside of testimonials.

If we as a skeptic community are to stand proudly on our conclusions and arguments based on evidence, then we must apply it here as well. So I ask again, what evidence do we have that OBL was killed?

Do not try to hand-wave this away. Provide evidence for the conclusion that OBL is dead.

Again, I think we killed the sucka. I am just interested in the fact that before objections are even made, dissenting opinions have been hand waved away. That is not good skeptic thought or critical thinking skills. Rather than just say "CT is that way", or some similar remark, address the issue.

If you disagree with my characterization of the evidence, say so. If you disagree that this is an example of good critical thinking regarding evidence, then say so.

I agree that many CT'ists won't be swayed by evidence. What about a good skeptic? I would hope so.

(All above is meant friendly, but firm in my challenge of the thinking).
 
Best part:
"I have seen a great number of poorly Photoshopped images in my time as a photographer and I can tell by the pixels that it is a fake," said Kenna Lindsay, a New York-based photographer who works with composite images.

:D

I know what she meant, but that is pretty funny. I wonder if she had to make a GUI using Visual Basic to track the IP?

/nerdy reference
 
This didn't get much traction the first time, one more try then I will drop it.

For the record, I do think he is dead. I am not a CT'ist in any way, shape, or form.

1) The extraordinary claim is that OBL was killed. Extraordinary because we were not able to do so for 10 years, and many started to wonder if we would ever even find him, let alone capture/kill him.

2) We have seen no evidence indicating he is dead outside of testimonials.

If we as a skeptic community are to stand proudly on our conclusions and arguments based on evidence, then we must apply it here as well. So I ask again, what evidence do we have that OBL was killed?

Do not try to hand-wave this away. Provide evidence for the conclusion that OBL is dead.

Again, I think we killed the sucka. I am just interested in the fact that before objections are even made, dissenting opinions have been hand waved away. That is not good skeptic thought or critical thinking skills. Rather than just say "CT is that way", or some similar remark, address the issue.

If you disagree with my characterization of the evidence, say so. If you disagree that this is an example of good critical thinking regarding evidence, then say so.

I agree that many CT'ists won't be swayed by evidence. What about a good skeptic? I would hope so.

(All above is meant friendly, but firm in my challenge of the thinking).

Doesn't seem that extraordinary.

It stretches reason somewhat that the United States Government could falsely report Bin Laden's demise.

First of all, if he hadn't been killed and was still alive, I'm confident every attempt be made by Al Qaeda to announce to the world that OBL was indeed still living, humiliating the United States and perpetually diminishing their credibility around the world.

And secondly, if the US knew he was already dead and thus could not brag that he was still kicking, they would not be able to guarantee that this reality would not be outed immediately. Humiliation ensues.
 
Last edited:
For the record, I do think he is dead. I am not a CT'ist in any way, shape, or form.

Sorry about how I worded that, I meant the "you" as in the people who don't believe he's dead and not the you "you.

It's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. I think they've made the right choice to not release the photos. It's the more tasteful option.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom