Call me a bigot if you please, but I treat everyone with dignity and respect, no matter what color, race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.
Being a bigot isn't only about your public demeanor and reaction to people, it is also about the mechanisms and stereotypes you employ to make judgements concerning them.
In the bad old days when racism towards blacks was socially acceptable in this country there were plenty of white people who treated them with dignity, respect, and compassion, but their personal beliefs were no less bigoted for that public display.
Read the writings of some of the foremost advocates of both the abolition of slavery and of equal rights for blacks. Their goals were admirable, but their beliefs were clearly bigoted.
Bigotry isn't limited to overt hostility, even though the latter is often inspired by the former. It is also a part of how someone perceives and evaluates others.
It seems to me that some of the other posters experiences may be biased. If you live in a gay community your whole life, or even just in recent times, of course it is gonna look like EVERYONE is gay. But that is just simply a biased sample, and does not apply to my experiences.
The "gay community" isn't some sort of isolated commune, it is simply a subset of the larger society. This means that someone who was familiar with such subsets, where the members are less reticent about their beliefs and behaviors, is going to have a greater understanding of the characteristics of that group than someone who is not.
Take your sentence and substitute "Baptist", or White Supremacist, or "football fan", or "gardener" for "gay" and see if it still sounds as meaningful to you.
For example, tragic monkey said :
Who've spent decades with gays --being their friends, being their lovers, talking to them, hanging out with them. I go to gay bars. I date gay men. I talk to them. Most of my friends are gay men. I'm one myself. In January I attended a social event with nine thousand other gay men
How in the world is that even close to an accurate assessment of how general society is outside of a gay community?
I'm glad you brought that up, since I had set aside your response to him on that same point for a comment of my own when I caught up with the end of the thread. Now I won't wait.
Your response to TM,
So you are saying that having lived in the gay community and basically been surrounded by gays for decades gives you some sort of better sample for the general population? Actually, all that does is give you a biased sample.
Since you have clearly stated that your own experience with gays is limited largely to having worked in a bar whose clientele included a lot of
en femme gays, and this is much of what you base your own position on it is hard for me to understand how you can find fault with TM for basing his own conclusions on a much larger and less focused sample.