23_Tauri
Illuminator
- Joined
- Jan 24, 2010
- Messages
- 4,927
Likewise, I am cheered to see you back here and know that you are home!Good to hear, Puppycow!
Likewise, I am cheered to see you back here and know that you are home!Good to hear, Puppycow!
There's a town I'm seeing on my TV called Rikuzentakata that was just wiped off the face of the Earth by the tsunami.
Except for a couple large concrete buildings it's just wet rubble.
That's reassuring.
So with Chernobyl they were unable to lower the fuel rods. Why is that not enough here?
I thought when the rods were lowered, the reaction stopped.
Clearly I don't have the proper picture of this in my mind.
I'm home! I took a train I don't usually take but it got me where I needed to go.

...
I thought when the rods were lowered, the reaction stopped.
Clearly I don't have the proper picture of this in my mind.
So if the containment dome blows, (like the TMI threatened to do), would you just get bad radiation release or would you get the core meltdown that happened in Chernobyl?Actually the problem at Chernobyl was that they couldn't lower the control rods fast enough.
The reason for needing cooling is that there is a lot of residual heat in the system and if you don't circulate the coolant it could flash to steam and steam is a much worse neutron moderator than liquid water.
Is that the town that was shown going under on CNN this morning?
That was batcrap scary.Something you expect to see in a Hollywood Disaster epic, but never in real life............
The local news shows our typical Californians going -down to the beaches- to watch the tsunami come in!
Yeah, and even with all the warnings most people on the west coast wouldn't have known about it until they woke up, at which point they only had an our or 2 to get the boat out of the harbor. So unless you lived nearby you had no chance.Many people who have boats in your typical small craft harbor live quite a way inland.
There's a town I'm seeing on my TV called Rikuzentakata that was just wiped off the face of the Earth by the tsunami.
Except for a couple large concrete buildings it's just wet rubble.
And at least one of them has been swept out to sea.The local news shows our typical Californians going -down to the beaches- to watch the tsunami come in!
Maybe. I'm seeing the aftermath and just looks like a wet Hiroshima or something. People are stranded on the roof of the hospital, one of the few buildings that seems to be intact. They are lifting them off with helicopters.
The TV news says over 1100 dead or missing now.
Oh good grief, that Wiki article says it had a population of over 23,000. How many of them are likely to have escaped? Or was it a dormitory town that might have been half-empty during the day? Even half-empty is bad.
Rolfe.
Undesired Walrus,
I'm not exploiting a crisis