• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 8.8 quake in Sendai, Japan

From BBC just now --


1706: The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant has been rising, with the risk of a radiation leak, according to the Jiji Press news agency. Tepco planned to take measures to release the pressure, the report added. The reactor's cooling system began to malfunction after the earthquake. People living close to the plant were later evacuated as a precaution.

1708: Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a "serious problem" at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. "It's the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about," he says. "If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselve
I really wouldn't trust the news reports on the nuclear plant. Its almost seems like its being used as a propaganda piece against nuclear power.
 
I did some digging;

The plant in question is now getting cooling water. Plant on battery power, they have a few hours left. Generators being brought to the plant until it's own backup generators can be brought online.

Looks under control for now.

Every single nuclear plant in Japan was shut down immediately.

Looks like the designs were able to cope with the worst imaginable earthquake.
 
Has anyone heard reports about the USA rushing technicians, repair parts and coolant to the problematic nuclear reactor? Obama just mentioned something about it in his press conference.

In a follow-up question it sounded more like we are offering technical advice more than material. The last report I heard was they were able to restore "coolant flow" and they are watching it carefully. They "may" need to vent some "excess pressure".
 
In a follow-up question it sounded more like we are offering technical advice more than material. The last report I heard was they were able to restore "coolant flow" and they are watching it carefully. They "may" need to vent some "excess pressure".
Hillary Clinton said we brought coolant. As I said before stupid news stories are really annoying in that regard.
 
In a follow-up question it sounded more like we are offering technical advice more than material. The last report I heard was they were able to restore "coolant flow" and they are watching it carefully. They "may" need to vent some "excess pressure".

If they vent it will go through an activated carbon bed and then up a stack which has radiation monitors. Then downwind sector and dose will be calculated and people evacuated as appropriate.

Vent gas is very short half-life radionuclide noble gas isotopes.

For purposes of dose estimation an "averaged" gas is assumed, with actual dose always being less than the projections by design.
 
If they vent it will go through an activated carbon bed and then up a stack which has radiation monitors. Then downwind sector and dose will be calculated and people evacuated as appropriate.

Vent gas is very short half-life radionuclide noble gas isotopes.

For purposes of dose estimation an "averaged" gas is assumed, with actual dose always being less than the projections by design.


It sounds like they are considering venting.

Japan's nuclear safety agency says pressure inside the reactor has risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal. To reduce the pressure, slightly radioactive vapor may be released – but the agency said the radioactive element in the vapor would not affect the environment or human health.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/11/japan-tsunami-earthquake-live-coverage
 
If they vent it will go through an activated carbon bed and then up a stack which has radiation monitors. Then downwind sector and dose will be calculated and people evacuated as appropriate.

Vent gas is very short half-life radionuclide noble gas isotopes.

For purposes of dose estimation an "averaged" gas is assumed, with actual dose always being less than the projections by design.
That's what I assumed. The Japanese are very good at dealing with these kinds of things. I doubt they actually asked for our "help" concerning the power plant.
 
Last edited:
I believe that was a 7.3, and yeah it does look like that was a pre-shock or fore-shock or whatever they call them.

Fore-shock, my brain struggles for words more often these days. :)

OMFSM, 7 pages since I posted last night!
 
That's what I assumed. The Japanese are very good at dealing with these kinds of things. I doubt they actually asked for our "help" concerning the power plant.

Our military is nearby. Obama mentioned the capability to assist "heavy lifting". That won't matter at the power plant but, providing more coolant to the plant was mentioned earlier by Clinton? I was half asleep. They said the coolant was simply water so not sure what the details are.

I see Techno noted this already.
 
Last edited:
Our military is nearby. Obama mentioned the capability to assist "heavy lifting". That won't matter at the power plant but, providing more coolant to the plant was mentioned earlier by Clinton? I was half asleep. They said the coolant was simply water so not sure what the details are.

I see Techno noted this already.

When you have a major disruption, water supply may be an issue.
 
I really wouldn't trust the news reports on the nuclear plant. Its almost seems like its being used as a propaganda piece against nuclear power.

Which news source is that? The mainstream media doesn't sound that way at all. They sound like they are dismissing the risk as minor, which is hopefully correct.
 
That's what I assumed. The Japanese are very good at dealing with these kinds of things. I doubt they actually asked for our "help" concerning the power plant.
You did read that article right????
Radiation level rising in Fukushima nuclear plant turbine building
What does this mean???
Which news source is that? The mainstream media doesn't sound that way at all.
No. The mainstream media does exactly sound that way namely because of the idiotic false balance creed that they are falling under with the Union of Concerned Scientists. It seems like every single article that mentions a chance of a nuclear meltdown is citing that organization.
 
Last edited:
Japan, like California, uses wood framed structures extensively. Properly built they are very resilient to earthquakes but vulnerable to fires afterward.



Has anyone heard reports about the USA rushing technicians, repair parts and coolant to the problematic nuclear reactor? Obama just mentioned something about it in his press conference.

Well the Ronnie Reagan is on the way - Should be a few boys and girls on her that know stuff about this atomic stuff
 
Our military is nearby. Obama mentioned the capability to assist "heavy lifting". That won't matter at the power plant but, providing more coolant to the plant was mentioned earlier by Clinton? I was half asleep. They said the coolant was simply water so not sure what the details are.

I see Techno noted this already.
I heard this also.

The report I keep wondering about is the "missing" passenger train. We're talking about a freaking train "missing"! :eek:
 
In 1700 when the Cascadia megathrust fault ruptured here, Japan had a huge tsunami from it. The current fault rupture on that side of the Pacific is only causing small swells on this side. I can understand the direction is focused away from the NW coast, but I'm wondering if the Cascadia force was funneled in a different way, or the quake was just a lot bigger?
 
I did some digging;

The plant in question is now getting cooling water. Plant on battery power, they have a few hours left. Generators being brought to the plant until it's own backup generators can be brought online.

Looks under control for now.

Every single nuclear plant in Japan was shut down immediately.

Looks like the designs were able to cope with the worst imaginable earthquake.

The early reports I heard said only 5 out of 68 went into shut down. The others went into some sort of idling loop (He said the name but did not stick)
 
Does "missing train" mean that it didn't arrive at a station... or missing means it is nowhere on the track and nowhere to be seen?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom