oz,
You'll excuse me, but I think that you've got this "appeal to popularity" thing backwards.
I'll pull this statement out first.
Well the test of MT or femr's claims is "Are they correct?" NOT "How many people..[have you convinced].."
Absolutely 100% correct.
But you've got the wrong impression of me. I'm an old school, old fart engineer. Proudly crusty. I don't give a flying fig what the popular opinion is about anything.
My comment to MT was IN REPLY to his "… is tfk the last person here …" comment. Which IS exactly an appeal to popular opinion.
It's also the latest in a series of evade-the-question appeals to popular opinion that MT has issued, claiming that he has changed most people's opinions here regarding that validity of Bazant's various works.
There is a time tfk when you have dug yourself into a hole and it is time to cut your losses.
You'll excuse me if I disagree that asking a couple of questions about their interpretation constitutes "digging myself into a hole".
I started out with nothing more than a simple, completely reasonable request for them to explain their interpretation of the video that they posted.
Please provide your arguments / evidence that this is collapse progression & not pressure wave progression.
Please explain why, if this is collapse progression, there appears to be an un-collapsed corner of the building (vertical light streak = chamfered corner of the building) that remains standing for many floors after collapse wave has passed by.
Please show me the "appeal to popular opinion" in those questions.
Do you think that these questions are unreasonable?
Do they appeal to any authority?
Or are they directed at the observable physical events of the day?
No part of asking questions implies disagreement.
Wouldn't a simple, direct reply of the type, "well if it were a pressure wave, we'd expect to see this, but a collapse front would probably produce that" seem reasonable to you?
I was perfectly willing to listen to their answer.
But, you might notice if you review their posts since my question (in #1626), THEY NEVER OFFERED ONE.
No reply to the questions. But lots of personal snark.
In my experience, when people have reasonable explanations for things, they simply state them. When they don't, the hand-waving, mis-direction & theatrics begin.
I do not claim to comprehend the mindset of many posters here who have abuse of 'truthers' as their primary objective. Who will subordinate sound rational analysis of this matter of engineering forensic analysis to the need to insult those who hold differing views. So much so that, in this instance, you choose to deny well accepted explanations of WTC collapse events.
1. At what point in time did "asking 2 simple questions" become "abuse of truthers"?
2. "… sound rational analysis …"? WHAT sound rational analysis?
I asked two simple questions. Show me any attempt on their part to answer those questions in any manner. Much less with "sound, rational analysis".
3. "… well accepted explanations of WTC collapse events …" Did I just see an appeal to popular opinion go whizzing by?
I have said on several previous occasions if Major_Tom or anyone labelled 'truther' was to claim 'the cloudless sky is blue' he/they would be swamped by a pack of 'debunkers' claiming that the assertion about blue sky was wrong. The symptoms of denial would include personal attacks about qualifications; criticism that the claim about blue sky was not published in a peer reviewed journal article. All manner of evasions simply to avoid the fact that the 'truther' happened to be right.
I asked 2 questions, oz.
Not about femr or MT or their qualifications. Or the color of the sky.
About observable events of the collapse in the videos that they claim that they have analyzed in great detail.
And a question that is at the heart of one of their "best observations of the collapse ever" claims.
They wouldn't (& still haven't) answered.
The ROOSD explanation is not unique. It happens to be the mainstream accepted explanation of the 'global collapse'.
Man, you've gotta keep your head down. There are appeals to popular opinion flying all over the place around here.
Sure MT has added some details which may not be mainstream but as sure as the cloudless sky is blue the broad outline of 'ROOSD' is how the twin towers collapsed.
Permit me to point out a couple of things…
1. I've asked, about 4 times now where their ROOSD theory is posted. Who are its authors, etc. So that I could read a definitive version, when I get the time.
Femr's & MT's response: nothing.
I asked if it has been published anywhere. After all, the only postings that I saw are over a year old.
Femr's & MT's response: nothing.
3. Nobody, outside of the few posters at the 911 forum has the slightest clue what "ROOSD" stands for. Nobody of consequence in the structural engineering community has ever heard the term.
That doesn't mean that the "description" (what I have read thus far is not a "theory") is wrong. It DOES, however, mean that the description is unexamined. Unexamined
by qualified experts. This is precisely why the "published in peer reviewed journal" system exists: to subject new ideas to the scrutiny of experts.
Anyone gets to ask questions & make observations. When it comes to providing credible answers, amateurs' opinions don't matter.
That is exactly why, if he is at all serious, MT should submit his description to JEM or some other tech journal.
And, even now at this late stage, you still want to continue with illogical claims. You ask "How many people do you think you've convinced that your ROOSD theory negates, invalidates, disproves NIST's analysis."
That was a question. Not a claim.
One possible answer from them might be (as you've suggested here) "ROOSD doesn't contradict NIST. It is pretty much the standard theory with a couple of embellishments."
Let's just say that I will be more than a little surprised if this is their reply..
I invite femr & MT to elaborate on this.
And anyone who has been around WTC collapse discussion should know that the extent of NIST analysis of the 'global collapse' was "global collapse was inevitable".
This is too simplistic, too facile. But this post is too long already.
I am well aware of the potential for Major_Tom, femr2 et al's explanations to lead towards CD. I have confronted each of the group - four of them - individually on the potential full scope of discussion. The potential for discussion to go towards MIHOP does not excuse invalid attacks on technical matters where they happen to be right. Otherwise we would all be obliged to denounce 'the cloudless sky is blue' as 'truther' dishonesty.
I am not prepared to go that far.
I didn't attack them. I asked 2 questions. That they haven't yet answered.
I didn't bring in CD or MIHOP, or LIHOP. You just did.
I asked 2 specific questions about distinguishing collapse front from the pressure wave.
And because I am an old fart, old school engineer, and have zero respect for people who simply JAQ off without basis or justification, I provided the EVIDENCE-based (not personality-based, or twoofer-based, or skeptic-based) reason for my question.
I don't believe, at the moment, that they have correctly identified the collapse front in that video. For the reasons that I stated. I could be wrong.
But we'll never know.
Because they won't reply to simple questions with direct answers.
As soon as someone (me, in this case) asks a simple question, instead of a simple direct answer, 2 bloody days of school-girl hysterics ensues.
This is THEIR theory. They brought it up for discussion. It is THEIR job to defend it when people ask questions.
If femr, or MT (or you) can't stand the minuscule heat of being asked a couple of simple question like this, if they can't provide even plausible (much less compelling) answers, then they damn well better not submit their paper to any group of real engineers.
They'll get eaten alive.