They probably found a way to test the entire system on earth.
Yes, they did.
"If I ran the zoo" fallacy. The problem is, your opinion doesn't really matter, because you are manifestly unfamiliar with the program.
programmed the first AGC to descend to the moon and then return in order to test the hardware.
You're wrong in two different ways here.
First, the computer systems were exercised in a lunar descent profile on Apollo 10, as has been pointed out to you lo these many times. Including, most recently, in response to a question from you asking if the computer had been used near the Moon.
Second, the AGC works with human pilots. It flies the vehicle automatically in several different modes, selected by the pilots at various stages. It doesn't fly
fully automated descents/ascents, because it was designed with a man-in-the-loop approach. Unmanned testing of the LM had been considered, but was rejected because such a test introduced its own confounding issues, and was unnecessarily expensive in terms of cost and schedule.
And if it didn't work, what then? Try, try again?
That question, to put it bluntly, is childish. Of course they would have tried again.
In
specific terms, if the AGC had failed during any part of a lunar descent/stay/ascent, the AGS was ready, willing, and able - as I already pointed out.
Undoubtedly there's a good answer to the test methodology.
Asked and answered.
I also would have rehearsed the whole landing on a set that simulated the moon.
Again, "if I ran the zoo" doesn't mean anything when you don't know anything about the program. This was done in at least three different ways (off the top of my head).
I would have filmed the whole landing to enable review.
The landings were filmed.
And if I were to think like Nixon then I would have considered using one of my 'secret plans' if any of the lunar tests failed.
You mean the Nixon who was President for six entire months before the first landing? What the heck, he didn't have a war or domestic unrest or anything else to worry about.
That's what makes your appeal to magic secret plans so funny. You don't even have a framework to hang the unspecified magic "secret plan" on, let alone evidence for one.
Nixon
did have a nice speech ready if the first landing had failed with loss of the crew. But that's no secret. ("No, Mr. President! They made it -
right coat pocket!")
Just being the devil's advocate...
No. You're just making mistake after mistake and waving your hands.
----------------------------------
For that one post, I was being the devil's advocate.
For that one post, you were doing the same thing you've been doing in almost all your other posts: making stuff up and getting it wrong.
I am taking a voluntary vacation of a few days from this thread as tempers are getting hot.
Not my temper. I'm quite entertained, actually.