Kevin_Lowe
Unregistered
- Joined
- Feb 10, 2003
- Messages
- 12,221
The interesting thing about pink (or magenta) is that it doesn't actually exist as a single wavelength of light, so it can't be said to "have a wavelength". I assume Fine chose "pink" for that very reason.
That's why I referred to its peak wavelength, not its wavelength, because I assumed that since pink is normally called a mixture of white and red that its spectrum would turn out to be a mix of low peaks all over the visible spectrum with a nice spike in the red area.
However you know what they say about assumptions... I did some looking because I know that light and vision do some counterintuitive things sometimes, and it turns out it's more complicated than that.
Here is an awesome page about it. If you search for pink you can go straight to the cool bit where they explain that your brain perceives pink if you hit the eye with 405nm purplish light and 675nm red light at once, which is weird but also really cool.
So just because Fine came up with a really bad example, I've learned all sorts of interesting things. It's more work than just sitting on my backside thinking that there is no rational basis for beliefs about pinkness, but it's lots more fun. Join us, Fine!
Last edited: