TomCH,
In the past you mentioned Guantanamo, and now you claim that the U.S. being a police state. I note that Michael at PMF has again very recently claimed that Amanda’s defenders are racists. I think it is time to answer all such arguments and be done with it, lest we veer off topic too far.
Those of us who blog or comment regularly have electronic trails of where we stand on certain issues, and I can also release letters I wrote to back up any claims I make about my positions. I have defended the large group of black men and women wrongfully convicted of drug dealing in Tulia, Texas, and I have tried to show how indigent people are generally at a disadvantage in our CJ system. I criticized our government’s detainee policies in letters to news organizations, and I wrote a letter to Senator Elizabeth Dole on this issue. Indeed, some of what I learned about habeas corpus informed my opinions on the precautionary detentions in this case. RoseMontague defended the false accuser in the Duke lacrosse case, because when it became clear that no rape occurred, some of the commentary against her crossed the line. The false accuser is poor, black, and possibly mentally ill. More generally, those who believe that Knox and Sollecito are innocent cover broad regions political and religious beliefs. Charges of racism in this case are just plain silly. Claims about which country is closer to being a police state are too broad to be helpful in understanding this case, IMO.
I don't think that the US is any more (nor less) of a police state than Italy, i.e. neither is.
However, I do get perturbed when individuals with no direct knowledge of the place slag it off.
So please tell them to stuff their inane rhetoric, and I will be more than pleased to do the same.
Thank you!