Halfcentaur
Philosopher
- Joined
- Jun 10, 2010
- Messages
- 6,620
Where is the poll you took to back this up? The ones I've seen disagree with you.
I consider everyone our equals. What are you implying here? We aren't special.
There are actually polls one can cite in favor of both views, funny enough. Where does that leave us?
Of course America is not special, but you're being belligerent if you don't admit that a great many people do consider western civilization morally and politically superior to the East and Middle East. I am sarcastically alluding to those who consider these countries barbaric while still maintain their sense of superiority for being American, I am not a proponent of their view that we are inherently superior people. As for that western democracy thing I was alluding to,... meanwhile we're basically the only western democracy that's still taking the lives of people based on what they supposedly "deserve". Which was my point, to be clear.
Privileged frame of reference? Whatever.
I am not afraid to speak my mind and stand up for what I believe in. You go ahead and remain impartial on this one. I will not.
Privileged frame of reference as in not having your point of view clouded by the fact someone just murdered your loved one, not as in privileged for being superior. You're free of course to say "whatever" though, disregard for others opinions can really help you to keep yourself focused on your own points I suppose. I don't see why you're talking about not being afraid or not.
I digress, let's not get distracted. I apologize if I have switched subjects too much in my previous posts on this topic.
Basically, you feel people deserve punishment. Please explain to me the mechanism for what deserving something really means and why it's actually important. What happens when someone get's what they deserve, exactly?
I am impartial because I find the idea of people deserving anything at all nothing but a human construct rooted in the behavior of our ape like past that we need to do away with. Something hurt your hand and it stings and you feel angry so you want to make that thing that stung you feel this stinging too. It solves nothing at all, it makes no progress at all, it is nothing more than self indulgent masturbation. Masturbation is all well and good, but not when people are being killed by a system meant to avoid the pitfalls of such self indulgent motivation.
Execution should be nothing more than a removal of a danger from society, not a solution to what someone deserves. I don't feel it's a necessary length to go to in order to remove that danger however, there should be alternatives and there can be. It would take a shift from our current penal system's methods, however.
Last edited: