• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Israel Attacks Palestinian Aid Flotilla, According To Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Peace?

How about Hamas lay down their weapons and stop the violence?

Just a thought.

How about those who invoke the Geneva conventions actually follow all of them to the best of their abilities.

Or else Israel recognize the uniform of the Hamas and Palestinian combatants and attack only those wearing that uniform?

Everyone on that flotilla was engaged in an act of war and should be ready to accept the consequences. In other words there were no civilians on those ships.

I have watched this for over 40 years and it is time for peace, time for Hamas and the Palestinians to lay down their weapons and sue for peace.
 
There are several ways to stop a ship without boarding. Some time ago, the Russian trawler Elektron was stopped by the Norwegian coast guard and boarded by two inspectors. The inspectors found grave violations of fishery laws, and the Norsemen decided to take the ship to a Norwegian port and detain the crew (if I remember correctly). The captain of the Elektron had other plans, and the two inspectors were taken hostage and the ship started steaming for Russian waters. The Norwegians were unable or unwilling to board the ship (I believe a helicopter carrying marines was on its way, but ran low on fuel and had to turn back), so they tried, among other things, to circle the ship with a frigate trailing a long rope, to try to get the Elektron's propeller entangled. The Elektron's erratic evasive actions made this very difficult, however, so the plan was given up. They were also ordered to fire a "cold shell" into the side of the Elektron, but the gun jammed, so this, too, proved impossible. In the end, a Russian destroyer turned up and took the ship into escort, and the Norwegians had to wait for the Russian authorities to allow them to come pick up the inspectors. The captain of the Elektron was found guilty of, among other things, kidnapping, and lost his license and found himself sentenced to up to seven years of jail.

Here is an interesting documentary about the incident:


(I await the outrage that I know will come at the fact that the Norwegian navy intended to fire on a civilian ship in international waters. Any time now... here it comes... wait for it... hmm...)
 
Last edited:
Why are you asking redundant questions when you've seen the videos yourself. The activists were armed with all said weapons during the boarding of the IDF, with bloodied knives used by the activists also displayed. Why do you keep mentioning scarves anyways? I can only interpret this as making the situation look for hurried and innocuous, rather than premeditated as it has been clearly established as such.

Quick reply, as I'm having guests in a moment. You will find, if you go back and read my older posts, that the request for sources was for your claim that:

In addition to the large amount of money found on the boarded ship (could've been more) that would be transferred to Hamas. This money is not classified as humanitarian aid but rather financing a known terrorist organization.

I had some time to look around on some Swedish newspapers, but none of them mentioned anything about large sums of money aboard the ships. This could, of course, be an omission or a bias in my selection of newspapers to read, but if you have a ready source for that claim, I'd be happy if you posted it.
 
There are several ways to stop a ship without boarding. Some time ago, the Russian trawler Elektron was stopped by the Norwegian coast guard and boarded by two inspectors. The inspectors found grave violations of fishery laws, and the Norsemen decided to take the ship to a Norwegian port and detain the crew (if I remember correctly). The captain of the Elektron had other plans, and the two inspectors were taken hostage and the ship started steaming for Russian waters. The Norwegians were unable or unwilling to board the ship (I believe a helicopter carrying marines was on its way, but ran low on fuel and had to turn back), so they tried, among other things, to circle the ship with a frigate trailing a long rope, to try to get the Elektron's propeller entangled. The Elektron's erratic evasive actions made this very difficult, however, so the plan was given up. They were also ordered to fire a "cold shell" into the side of the Elektron, but the gun jammed, so this, too, proved impossible. In the end, a Russian destroyer turned up and took the ship into escort, and the Norwegians had to wait for the Russian authorities to allow them to come pick up the inspectors. The captain of the Elektron was found guilty of, among other things, kidnapping, and lost his license and found himself sentenced to up to seven years of jail.

Here is an interesting documentary about the incident:


(I await the outrage that I know will come at the fact that the Norwegian navy intended to fire on a civilian ship in international waters. Any time now... here it comes... wait for it... hmm...)

in the video no one said that.
 
The Foreign Press Association is saying that Israel is selectively showing video from the boarding process to support its claim that the commandos were attacked first.

What do people make of this?
 
Takes real guts to take on well-trained and well-armed professional soldiers, with wood sticks and wrenches. These activists may have been wide-eyed, idealistic, and naive, but they were very brave.



Only a stupid man shows up to a Gun fight with a wooden stick!
 
The Foreign Press Association is saying that Israel is selectively showing video from the boarding process to support its claim that the commandos were attacked first.

What do people make of this?

Certainly possible.

There are reports floating around that several activists were injured prior to the commandos landing, yet there is not one detail about this.

Also, is the FPA privy to videos that Israel filmed? Or is this just speculation?
 
Also, is the FPA privy to videos that Israel filmed? Or is this just speculation?

Yes, this is a good question. My first thought was that one of the people on board may have been a member of the FPA and so the FPA position may just reflect that particular reporter's recollection of events, but again I have nothing to support this. On the other hand, this could be a legitimate complaint by the press agency.
 
What about Peace?

How about Hamas lay down their weapons and stop the violence?

Just a thought.

How about those who invoke the Geneva conventions actually follow all of them to the best of their abilities.

Or else Israel recognize the uniform of the Hamas and Palestinian combatants and attack only those wearing that uniform?

Everyone on that flotilla was engaged in an act of war and should be ready to accept the consequences. In other words there were no civilians on those ships.

I have watched this for over 40 years and it is time for peace, time for Hamas and the Palestinians to lay down their weapons and sue for peace.

TONY JONES: Well, what's wrong with that obviously is that it ended up with nine deaths and dozens of serious injuries, with the detention of vast numbers of people from the flotilla - including a large number of journalists who were harassed and mistreated - who had their equipment thrown away.

So there are a whole series of issues and by the way, many of them were interrogated quite severely, evidently. So there are a whole series of issues as far as Israel's reputation goes in world opinion.

HIRSH GOODMAN: Well I know. I mean, this is what I am saying to you. We ready in this country to have the Turks - ever since Gaza - it's getting a bit monotonous now. Every - because they were rejected by the European Union, because they are deposing the military in a systematic way, which was the key to a Turkey that was secular and modern, because they have now gone into an Islamic fold they found a new whipping boy on the block.

So you let this ship through they'll come through.

With regard to interrogation, with regard to mishandling people, you probably right and it always looks terrible. But let's think about who were on the ship - a bunch of objective people? Objective reporters? Professionals like you? Who was on the ship? People with a position. People who had a precondition to say "these people are animals" even if we had arrived with lollypops. It is clear. Now all, in terms of...

TONY JONES: Well I mean, I'm going to have to - Hirsh Goodman I'm going to have to interrupt you there. I mean there were on board that ship a number of reporters that we know, including the Australian Paul McGeough and his cameraman...

HIRSH GOODMAN: Okay, I take that back.

TONY JONES: They were also mistreated and detained.

HIRSH GOODMAN: You know what? I take that back. I take that back, Tony. Excuse me. I take that back. But the one particular reporter from Al Jazeera who has made so many waves - excuse the metaphor - he’s not exactly an objective force out there. I do take back the rest.
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2010/s2917844.htm
 
You know if the next group really want to cause some damage they need set up some chains attached to anchors ready to be pushed over the side. Lines come down from helicopter get tied/hooked/attached quickly, anchors go over, down goes chopper. I suppose there must be some sort of quick disconnect for the helicopter but I'll bet you could put them in trouble in a hurry that way.

Layers of mesh nets on poles, suspended above the deck too. Something to tie up the guys coming in from above.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom