Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
I notice that when you quoted my post, you left out the part where I also stated something along the lines that "people's lives will be just as enriched".No body is talking about people's lives.If everyone in Quebec decided they'd prefer to speak english (and French died out in a generation or 2), not one life would be lost
I'm talking about the life of a culture. Is your brain completely unable to tell the difference?
I'm just pointing out the un-importance of having a unique or particular culture.
Except for the parents who wanted to have their children schooled in English, yet were told "you can't do that". They had no choice.And so is French in Québec.I choose english (well, my parents did when they raised me/sent me to school) because it was seen as the best alternative for interacting in the society I grew up in, and because it is the best language for my employment
Except for the businessmen who wanted to use English signs/labels and were told "you can't do that".
My parents and myself have (or had) a choice. Quebecers... not so much.
That doesn't necessarily mean I (and my parents) didn't have a choice. You don't necessarily make choices in a vacuum. I have ever right to use french or have children educated in French if I want. I just have to weigh the pros and cons of that decision. Quebecors don't necessarily have those options.No it's not, you just said you chose English because of your parents, and your environment.
That's more of a personal opinion. How do you know that poutine-lovers don't get just as much pleasure out of their french fries and gravy than your average music lover gets out of Cohen?Lightfoot and Cohen are great poets and songwriters, poutine is a fast food dish.Umm.... how do you know that I find holding up Cohen as a sample of English Culture isn't as offensive as me associating Poutine with Quebec is to you?
Heck, I rather suspect there are more people who eat poutine in Quebec than there are english people who listen to Cohen.
Then the culture dies. Or perhaps elements merge with other cultures. But again, that's not anything significant.On how natives can protect their cultureAnd what if the younger generations keep losing interest, if nobody around them speak the old language, and practice their old ways, why would the younger generations be interested?Organize clubs with like-minded people. Start a video log of people giving their experiences. Teach their kids about the old culture.
And again, nobody is talking about life or the quality of life of individuals. We're talking about culture, a particular way of seeing things.Someday, a lot of native cultures will vanish. That is neither good nor bad. It will be replaced by something else (possibly something unique, possibly they will be assimilated.) Either way, their descendants will probably continue to live full, rewarding lives.
Umm... if having a particular culture does not improve the quality (or do something to otherwise improve humanity), then what is the point of having it?
If I were a minority, and I'd be just as happy and productive using the same language/culture as the majority, then why force me into sticking with the minority?
You keep accusing me of being "thick headed", yet you seem to be the one unable/unwilling to justify why just having some unique culture/language is actually beneficial to anyone.